Non-City of Victoria projects with no threads

• Please log in to reply
1473 replies to this topic

#1461 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,416 posts

Posted 09 May 2024 - 02:23 PM

Maybe you’re on to something. Looks like they already have the er access sorted, let’s pivot and turn this into a hospital with 80 beds.
  • Nparker likes this

#1462 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,309 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 23 May 2024 - 07:23 AM

View-Royal's-future-'town-centre'-tracking-for-more-density-with-new-proposal-next-to-Fort-Vic-RV-Park.jpg

A rendering looking south depicts GT Mann's proposal for 346 Island Highway in View Royal, with the E&N Rail Trail running along the northern portion of the property. Kitty-corner from the proposal is a recently approved three-building rental community, depicted in white. View Royal's future town centre is earmarked for this area.

View Royal's future 'town centre' tracking for more density with new rental proposal next to Fort Victoria RV Park

https://victoria.cit...ctoria-rv-park/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1463 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 54,309 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 07:25 AM

A six-storey rental building has been proposed adjacent to View Royal’s Fort Victoria RV Park, and kitty-corner from a recently approved three-building rental project for an area designated as the municipality’s future town centre.

How did VR get along without a town centre before this?   I've got news, there is much less need/demand for a town centre today than there was 15 or 30 years ago.  View Royal was incorporated in 1988.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 May 2024 - 07:26 AM.

#1464 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 84,303 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 07:33 AM

I think some of your ideas about what is and what isn't necessary are from the perspective of someone who has an overall fairly unique view/vision of social needs and wants. It's nice to have commercial services nearby, that you don't have to drive to. It's nice to have shops and offices in clusters of mixed-use buildings. Why not?

I remember, when I was in university, all the rage was the paperless office. The experts gushed over how paper would be disappearing very soon. 

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1465 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 54,309 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 07:36 AM

I think some of your ideas about what is and what isn't necessary are from the perspective of someone who has an overall fairly unique view/vision of social needs and wants. It's nice to have commercial services nearby, that you don't have to drive to. It's nice to have shops and offices in clusters of mixed-use buildings. Why not? 

I agree with all of this.  But declaring it a "town centre" does not make these things magically appear.  In fact they are unlikely to ever appear.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 May 2024 - 07:36 AM.

#1466 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 84,303 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 07:38 AM

How it helps is developers are given the nod to propose high density projects, that will create the conditions to support future retail. It just takes time, and requires a long-term vision. The RV Park is where the retail centre of the area is eventually going to go. The RV park isn't closing any time soon, though, at least not as far as I know. So we're not looking at anything immediate but more like a 15-25 year outlook.

Know it all.

#1467 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 54,309 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 07:42 AM

In 15-25 years I really cannot see us doing much window shopping or visting any office, save for maybe medical.

#1468 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,309 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 28 May 2024 - 08:41 AM

Gordon 'N Gordon Interiors is now developing its own rental block, to both provide worker housing for its employees, and rentals to the broader market.

106-unit workforce rental complex gets underway in downtown Langford

https://victoria.cit...ntown-langford/

Know it all.

#1469 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 54,309 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 08:54 AM

There is a company that he been around FOREVER.

https://gordonngordo.../about/#history

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 May 2024 - 08:57 AM.

#1470 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 84,303 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 09:05 AM

Yes. They’ve since expanded off the island, too.

Know it all.

#1471 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 54,309 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 10:06 AM

At the very least, I'd expect a white speckled carpeting in the halls.

#1472 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,416 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 11:26 AM

Staff housing, what a concept.

#1473 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 54,309 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 11:38 AM

Not sure you can restrict your rental to a particular work group, can you? Dunno. If they leave your employ, must they move out?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 May 2024 - 11:38 AM.

#1474 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,416 posts

Posted 29 May 2024 - 12:49 AM

Nice try, fed.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)