• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:37 PM

compile a list here!

The Ships Point site is one of the most important in the province of British Columbia. It forms the third side of the Legislative precinct around the prominent Inner Harbour of Victoria. The sensitivity of this site has demanded careful massing of the buildings, enhancement of sightlines to the Legislature and the water, and the structuring of the public spaces to support numerous public festivals. The proposed mixed-use development includes a hotel, offices, retail, restaurants, a seaplane terminal, a marine adventure centre, a maritime heritage harbour and centre, a seawalk and a sculpturally sheltered Festival Plaza for civic celebrations. The development knits the waterfront back into the fabric of the city, thereby making it more accessible to the public and a lively place to visit year round.

from the centennial square thread:

post more if you think of any!

#2 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 01:17 PM

What a great thread!

Anyone out there have any renderings/models of the Belleville Terminal plans from years ago?

#3 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 02:06 PM

I think it's worth mentioning that the Ship's Point thing was designed by Bing Thom Architects, one of the most respected architecture firms in the world. (not just "a Vancouver developer") What a huge embarrassing waste of their time. The Centannial Square thread didn't say who designed the new Centennial Square buildings. I'm not surprised that Alan Lowe is a Liberal. That's the party that doesn't actually DO anything once elected.

What a great thread!

Anyone out there have any renderings/models of the Belleville Terminal plans from years ago?

from the Belleville Terminal Task Force thread:

#4 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:34 AM

^I was asking about the one from 10-15 years ago.

I hope the one you posted instead stays in this thread! :D

#5 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:12 AM

Does that mean you want it to stay on the shelf & collect dust? I didn't think there was another one.

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:48 AM

^ Yes please. Or preferably hide it at the bottom of a pile of zoning variances from the 1950's in the City Archives.

#7 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:40 PM

What an awesome thread! My dad once told me that when he walked or drove around Victoria he saw all these "ghosts" of developments proposed but never built. The Victoria that might have been, overlapping the one that is. I have to find the 1965 downtown community plan to add.

#8 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 03:22 PM

These concepts are from D'Ambrosio's website (http://www.fdarc.ca/):

More images at http://www.fdarc.ca/...ur_Market_1.php

#9 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 03:25 PM

Here's D'Ambrosio's vision for Douglas Street in the Rock Bay area. Add a couple of stories to every building and I think it's not bad at all:

Renderings from http://www.fdarc.ca/..._Rock_Bay_1.php

#10 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 04:49 PM

^I was asking about the one from 10-15 years ago.

I hope the one you posted instead stays in this thread! :D

either I don't have enough info to really search for it, or that plan isn't online. :(

#11 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:05 PM

I have been researching this topic over the last year.

Two of the most recent plans to redevelop the Belleville Terminal were in 2000 and 1993.

Other failed projects include:

- Ship's Point Ferris Wheel

- Ogden Point Aquarium

1965 Victoria Plan called for:

- Freeway loop linking James Bay, Songhees and Blanshard

- Bridge from Songhees to James Bay

Reid Plan (1971)

- Highrise condo and hotel towers on Ocean Cement site (waterfront at the foot of Fort St.)

#12 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:17 PM

Here's D'Ambrosio's vision for Douglas Street in the Rock Bay area. Add a couple of stories to every building and I think it's not bad at all:

Renderings from http://www.fdarc.ca/..._Rock_Bay_1.php

Love the modern tram concept

#13 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:25 PM

Highrise projects around UVic:

#14 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:37 PM

^ I would love to see this happen! Particularly if the ground floor was shopping.

#15 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:40 PM

I have been researching this topic over the last year.

Two of the most recent plans to redevelop the Belleville Terminal were in 2000 and 1993.

well that narrows it down a bit. I wonder why nothing has been done about that yet. How many more task forces & studies is it going to take to get them to do something about it. How many decades ago was the current one built? Probably in the 1960s when the traffic was 1/3 of what it is today. There should be a new building with the Express, Clipper & Coho terminals & a Harbour Ferry stop all under one roof rather than all scattered as it is now. The saved space could be used for a hotel, restaurant, cafe, plaza, etc etc. Start a "draft Stew Young" movement in Victoria!

Other failed projects include:

- Ship's Point Ferris Wheel

- Ogden Point Aquarium

ferris wheel -- since London & shanghai each now have one, Victoria would look like a copycat. I like the Bing Thom idea better.
ogden point aquarium -- could move undersea gardens out there. arthur erickson thought it looked ugly where it is now

1965 Victoria Plan called for:

- Freeway loop linking James Bay, Songhees and Blanshard

- Bridge from Songhees to James Bay

no & no. I don't think there should be any bridge across the harbour.

Reid Plan (1971)

- Highrise condo and hotel towers on Ocean Cement site (waterfront at the foot of Fort St.)

I read somewhere that the city is "waiting" (& waiting & waiting...) for the "perfect" project to come along for that parking lot in front of fort/wharf. It might have been that "who owns what in victoria" article that was in the TC a year & a half ago.

#16 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:49 PM

Arthur Erickson thought it looked ugly where it is now...

I consider Arthur Erickson to be quite the authority re: ugly buildings.

#17 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:25 PM

I love D'Ambrosio's aesthetic - so much light.

#18 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:39 PM

I love D'Ambrosio's aesthetic - so much light.

I like D'Ambrosio's architecture as well and feel that it would work well in the northern stretch of Douglas St. It is interesting to note the single track tram line. If the city was very serious about improving the looks of that north part of Douglas St and Government St, they would start decussions right away with D'Ambrosio or similar developers. Stop always listening to the NIMBYs, CAVEs and BANANAs.

#19 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:40 PM

I like D'Ambrosio's architecture as well and feel that it would work well in the northern stretch of Douglas St. It is interesting to note the single track tram line. If the city was very serious about improving the looks of that north part of Douglas St and Government St, they would start decussions right away with D'Ambrosio or similar developers. Stop always listening to the NIMBYs, CAVEs and BANANAs.

... D'Ambrosio AND similar developers. I like D'Ambrosio's buildings also but I think variety is better than relying on one person's style. He isn't the only one who uses lots of light & glass.

ps. what's a BANANA?

#20 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:42 PM

build absolutely nothing anywhere near anything = BANANA
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users