Projects Victoria has planned but which are collecting dust somewhere

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:37 AM

He also suggests that rail transit in Victoria will mean a huge decrease in bus service (no study that I am aware of has proven that) and will lead to more green house gases.

http://climatethough...nd-busways.html

#62 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:04 AM

Yeah, I get the impression he doesn't like the idea of LRT in Victoria. Call me psychic.

#63 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:23 PM

I might be pushing the boundaries of this thread just a bit ... but I thought I'd share a couple of ill-fated plans that have collected a lot of dust over the last 98 years. This information is courtesy of a 1910 booklet promoting Victoria. Among the lengthly list of plans for 1911 and 1912 were:

1. A new hotel where the Royal B.C. Museum now stands: "The new hotel of the Grand Trunk Pacific will be directly opposite the Parliament Buildings, and south of the Empress Hotel. Grounds and buildings will cost close to a million dollars, and it will command a magnificent view of the Harbor".

2. The new Spencer block, pictured below:

<insert pic>

Wow!

I found a book that has about a dozen buildings like those, mostly in Victoria & Vancouver. It was definitely a good find imho. :D

#64 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:46 AM

2. The new Spencer block, pictured below:

Wow!

that's what the Jawl's should build instead of that ugly FATrium building. they could get all the structure, electrical, plumbing etc modernized, but on a superficial level it would look like it has been there for 100 years. it would look better next to the Juliet than the FATrium also :)

#65 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,781 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:02 AM

It looks a lot like the old Bay building on steroids doesn't it?

#66 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:23 AM

Look at the ground level though. One main entrance and miles of window. I'd want some more street interaction out of this.

#67 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:41 AM

Aug. 29, 1980: Centre leaps final obstacle
This Day in History

Times Colonist
Published: Friday, August 29, 2008

Stories from our pages over the last 150 years.

The proposed $8-million Wharf Street convention centre made it over the final hurdle Thursday.

Victoria city council approved an application for a development permit, giving the Provincial Capital Commission permission to call for tenders on the controversial waterfront project.

The only thing that could still stop the project is lack of financing, but Finance Minister Hugh Curtis, who is in charge of the capital commission, recently reassured the city funds will be available. :D

Aldermen John Cooper, Gretchen Brewin and Robin Blencoe were the only ones opposing the notion to approve the development permit application.

Cooper said he was stunned that council would commit itself to this project without knowing how the annual deficit would be financed and who would operate the centre.

"This is utter nonsense, tommyrot," he said.

-- Victoria Times

-------------------

Wow, I didn't know how close we were to getting a Wharf St. convention centre. I wonder what it looked like.

BTW, people don't say "tommyrot" enough these days.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#68 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:37 PM

Dave Dickson, C-FAX

Author and historian Dorothy Mindenhall joins me @cfax1070 at 2:30. We'll talk about her new book "Unbuilt Victoria".

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#69 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:17 PM

Neat, I'll listen online.

#70 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:00 PM

That was a nice listen.

Something I found odd though is that the host kept referring to the city as "the region," either trying to avoid recognizing Victoria as a city or using it as a PC term because of the fractured municipal structure of the city.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users