Photo

Leigh Road Interchange and Bear Mountain Parkway

• Please log in to reply
514 replies to this topic

#41 Maverick

Maverick
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 06:39 PM

I find it hard to sit back and watch a bunch of Tree Sitters protesting in Langford against something that this area needs to handle all the traffic now and in the future.These developments like Bear Mountain, Royal Bay in Colwood or any other development in the west shore needs this kind of infrastructure to grow as a community.
The people sitting in the trees think they are doing a service for people living in the area,or do they really care about the people ? I think not! I do not believe these people have not done an honest days work in their lives.With all the work out there they should go and get a real job earn a days pay,pay your taxes and earn the right to live in our great community that we call home,if they can`t do that, they should get the Hell out and quit living off these American companies that fund these radical environmental groups.If they don`t want to fit in go home because we don`t need you here. You are not welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#42 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:05 PM

What I dont understand, is why the spencer rd interchange is more important than building ones at Tillicum rd or Mckenzie/Admirals?

We have our transportation priorities really screwed up in this region.

We really need a regional transportation authority.

#43 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:09 PM

I find it hard to sit back and watch a bunch of Tree Sitters protesting in Langford against something that this area needs to handle all the traffic now and in the future.These developments like Bear Mountain, Royal Bay in Colwood or any other development in the west shore needs this kind of infrastructure to grow as a community.

Are u suggesting that we need more roads and interchanges to encourage more automobile use?

The people sitting in the trees think they are doing a service for people living in the area,or do they really care about the people ? I think not! I do not believe these people have not done an honest days work in their lives.With all the work out there they should go and get a real job earn a days pay,pay your taxes and earn the right to live in our great community that we call home,if they can`t do that, they should get the Hell out and quit living off these American companies that fund these radical environmental groups.If they don`t want to fit in go home because we don`t need you here. You are not welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats a bit harsh dude.

#44 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:13 AM

Are u suggesting that we need more roads and interchanges to encourage more automobile use?

I don't know if he is, but I sure as hell am. While we're at it, how about getting roads back to what they were supposed to be for-driving, rather than putting pretty plants in the middle of the road and installing speed humps and putting crosswalks everywhere that are hardly ever used, while traffic is backed up as far as the eye can see. Increased speed limits are long overdue as well.

#45 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:55 AM

Well I hardly doubt that the pretty plants in the middle, crosswalks and speed bumps are what is causing traffic to be backed up. More roads leads to more cars and slower speeds.

#46 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:12 AM

The Spencer Interchange remains the most bizarre infrastructure project in the region since buiding a train line to sooke a hundred years ago.

I mean I can think of about 50 more improtant ones that are not being done.

#47 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:20 AM

I don't know if he is, but I sure as hell am.

You could always relocate to southern California, where "more highways" has been the mantra for 60 years. Yet, it still takes an hour to go 15 miles at rush hour. You will get the added bonus of spread out cities with weak neighbourhoods and very little walkability, but lots of strip malls that you can drive right up to (if you can find a parking spot).

As far as I'm concerned, they have done the urban experiment for us, and the results are not pretty.

#48 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:50 AM

Spencer Rd. overpass will connect the West-hills / hulls corner area of Langford with the TCH. It will act as a shortcut for traffic from Sooke to points up island and the Millstream big box area as it will also connect over to Millstream Rd along a service Rd that connects with McCallum Dr. (you didn't think that Moe would build his hotel on a dead end street . did you?). If Langford had not pushed its sewers out along Happy Valley Rd. and into agricultural land, I would say that they would have had a valid argument for placing numerous homes on otherwise unproductive land, by building on top of mountains and rock. The reason that this overpass is being built with developers dollars is that in future, the overpass that will be needed at Amy / Parkdale will be built at the expense of taxpayers. Having an other exit from the big box stores is crucial for traffic volumes now and into the future.

#49 Jonny Quest

Jonny Quest
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:09 PM

What I dont understand, is why the spencer rd interchange is more important than building ones at Tillicum rd or Mckenzie/Admirals?

Very good point.

Three of the top four crash locations in the Victoria region:

1. Pat Bay Hwy. and Sayward Rd. - 63 accidents

2. McKenzie Ave. and Trans-Canada Hwy. - 57 accidents

4. Tillicum Rd. and Trans-Canada Hwy. - 48 accidents

#50 Maverick

Maverick
  • 129 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:07 PM

What do you mean that`s a bit harsh?
These tree sitters:I would love to call them something else but I am liable to get evicted! are professional protesters that live off of money and any free stuff that they can get their hands from anyone that will give it to them.When they get arrested by the police and taken away, they will get their day in court ,which is just what they want.But really what a sorry way to waste the hard working tax payers money!!!!!!!!
When they are finished here at the tree sit I am sure that the weather will be better and they can move to the next spot,quite possibly Sooke or Jordan River where they can hang in the trees at the surfing beach use the out houses there and bath in the ocean.
It must be nice to travel the island like that.We as taxpayers must have taken a wrong turn somewhere.

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:09 PM

I wouldn't say it's more important. The reality is Langford has the willpower to get things done and doesn't seem to care about special interests that are not aligned with their agenda. Bowing to every groups concern ends up costing municipalities a great deal of time and money and when the dust settles projects might end up on the backburner.

For a municipality still grappling with sidewalks along many of its streets, it's a miracle Saanich has any interchanges at all.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#52 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:41 PM

What do you mean that`s a bit harsh?
These tree sitters:I would love to call them something else but I am liable to get evicted! are professional protesters that live off of money and any free stuff that they can get their hands from anyone that will give it to them.When they get arrested by the police and taken away, they will get their day in court ,which is just what they want.But really what a sorry way to waste the hard working tax payers money!!!!!!!!
When they are finished here at the tree sit I am sure that the weather will be better and they can move to the next spot,quite possibly Sooke or Jordan River where they can hang in the trees at the surfing beach use the out houses there and bath in the ocean.
It must be nice to travel the island like that.We as taxpayers must have taken a wrong turn somewhere.

We all have causes that we feel strongly about, the protesters are no different than anyone else.

If people are willing to lend money and supplies to the "tree-sitters" then that is their business, not yours or mine. There are worse wasters of money in BC, and that is mostly from our own governments (both federal and provinical).

This project shouldnt take priority over other transportation needs, and the protesters recoqnize that. I am on the other hand being proactive and promoting better transit and rail in the region, which I feel my time is better spent. But I have to give Langford credit in recoqnizing that commuter rail is needed in the region and they and their backers (developers, businesses, councillors, etc) will see to it that it does become a reality.

#53 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:32 AM

News on CBC as we speak is that the RCMP are moving in to remove the protesters and dismantle the camp.

#54 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:38 AM

POLICE MOVE AGAINST BEAR MOUNTAIN SIT-IN

Feb 13, 2008

RCMP HAVE MOVED IN TO DISMANTLE A PROTEST CAMP, IN THE WOODS BETWEEN THE TRANS CANADA HIGHWAY AND LEIGH ROAD.

POLICE SPOKESPERSON CONSTABLE TASHA ADAMS SAYS THE ACTION IS THE RESULT OF A SPECIFIC COMPLAINT FROM THE CITY OF LANGFORD.

ADAMS WON'T SAY HOW MANY OFFICERS WERE DISPATCHED TO THE SCENE, AND SAYS SHE UNABLE TO CONFIRM A REPORT THAT AT LEAST ONE ARREST HAS BEEN MADE. THE POLICE MISSION IS TO REMOVE THE CAMP COMPLETELY, INCLUDING STRUCTURES AND DEBRIS AS WELL AS CAMPERS.

CAMPERS HAVE BEEN ON SITE FOR MONTHS, IN AN ATTEMPT TO BLOCK PLANS FOR A HIGHWAY INTERCHANGE AND ACCESS ROAD TO THE BEAR MOUNTAIN REAL ESTATE DEVELOPMENT.

- fms CFAX 1070
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#55 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:23 AM

Moves like this usually have a way of biting authorities in the ass.

#56 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:13 PM

I just heard on the radio that one of the protesters is holding out and is jumping from tree to tree to avoid the cops, as of 10min ago they still haven't got him.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#57 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:39 PM

I hope this sort of monkeying about is not tolerated. Heaven forbid others try to ape his behaviour. This whole episode is driving me bananas!

#58 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:47 PM

RCMP move in on anti-highway protest site

Dispute over building of interchange in Langford at Spencer Road and TransCanada

Times Colonist
Published: Wednesday, February 13, 2008

LANGFORD - In the false light of a pre-dawn Wednesday more than three dozen RCMP officers - some dressed in riot gear and carrying assault rifles - surrounded and rousted about a half dozen protesters from their camp in the woods between the Trans-Canada Highway and Leigh Road in Langford.

Some, told they'd be charged with mischief in they didn't vacate, agreed to move. They were cuffed and moved out to Goldstream Avenue where they were released.

At least one and perhaps as many as three protesters, however, remained in their tree-top platforms while police blocked media and other access to the woods - stringing yellow tape along the highway and erecting saw-horse barricade at Leigh Road and Goldstream.

Protesters said people dressed in climbing gear were among those who stormed the protest camp, erected last April in opposition to the $32-million Bear Mountain interchange proposed by Langford.

They say the interchange not only feeds urban sprawl but threatens Spencer's Pond, a cave and other karst features and an urban forest complete with culturally modified trees.

Protest organizer Ingmar Lee was arrested after he attempted to block a piece of logging equipment from entering the area.

Tree-sitter Kalanu Johnson, 34, decided to come down from a tree after an armed officer approached. "When I refused to come down I noticed one of the SWAT team guys closest to me was fiddling with his assault rifle and I got intimidated. When I asked them what all the weapons were for they just said they were police and they carried weapons," Johnson said.

He estimated 50 to 60 police, equipped with a dog and a mobile command centre, accompanied by construction crews and equipment including a back-hoe and a feller buncher were involved in the raid.

"Just as the sun was about to come up they moved in and sort of spread out around the kitchen and up the hill surrounding the camp. After about 10 minutes there were about a dozen of them at the foot of the tree with assault rifles and beanbag shotguns and that sort of thing."

Johnson who has been at the protest for about seven months said it's been worth it.

"This is wrong on so many levels. People need to stand up against it whether we can stop it or not. People need to resist."

etc

http://www.canada.co...88-2d6b98a4a324

#59 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:51 PM

Seems like a lot of police.

#60 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:01 PM

Tree-sitter Kalanu Johnson, 34, decided to come down from a tree after an armed officer approached. "When I refused to come down I noticed one of the SWAT team guys closest to me was fiddling with his assault rifle and I got intimidated. When I asked them what all the weapons were for they just said they were police and they carried weapons," Johnson said.

Right. The cops were just itching to shoot the guy.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users