Photo

Leiser Building 524-530-534 Yates Street | U/C reno

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:45 PM

OK this is slightly off topic, but I'd like to respond to this statement. By G Hartnell:

What they need, I believe, is strict abstinence-based addiction recovery treatment programmes provided for them in safe social housing, and certainly not more needle exchange programs or so-called 'safe-injection sites.' My position has nothing to do with the legality or illegality of the substances they are abusing, but rather is based on a common sense approach that recognizes that they are sick, and that the City has been paying lip-service to their needs for years, blaming its inertia on lack of funds from higher levels of government. This is a disgraceful cop-out.

Are you saying that all "traditional" recovery based treatment should be removed completely? Because I think, apart from many concerns I have of this idea, this could be very dangerous for addicts. Many addicts have died from the symptoms related to withdrawl. Also, it just opens a massive floodgate of problems that I don't feel, based on my very minimal education on addiction I will add, is encouraged by the medical world.
I ask this because I remember reading about your platform during the last election and I was encouraged by your abstinence-based treatment idea. But I was under the impression that this would be a program added as another option - in addition to traditional treament.

Sorry Mods. I just can't help it. But you have to expect an organic meandering from the topic once and a while.

#22 Gregory Hartnell

Gregory Hartnell
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 06:56 PM

+++

I apologize for detouring the discussion. I see that there will be a new political forum coming to Vibrant Victoria. I look forward to dialogue there with concerned citizens.

The tremendous increase in revenues from new skyscaper development in the Humboldt Valley and Songhees has not been specified for the provision of social housing for these sick homeless, but it should be.

Developers working co-operatively with the City can help get these neglected people off the sidewalks, where they are presently discouraging custom.

During such an unusual period of growth and real estate speculation, the City of Victoira should not wait for higher levels of government to come to the aid of the City.

The City should specify the amelioration of the homelessness problem as priority number one.

But the mayor was on vacation during the whole week of the Union of BC Municipalities convention recently held at the Conference Centre.

He shilled for them while in Athens Greece, and was thus able to evade his resposibilities as the person most responsible for the tragedy on our downtown sidewalks.

The mayor is not, as far as I know, working for the Conference Centre, but is rather elected to serve the people of Victoria.

+++

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 07:19 PM

Gregory, just to clarify, the Political section will not be another forum but another section of the site similar to what you see in the Development and Gallery sections.

A political forum is already in existence on VibrantVictoria.ca's discussion board.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 07:22 PM

Anyone got any new info on the parking lot? It would useful if there was someone from the city that could comment.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#25 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 07:25 PM

I'll answer Mr. Hartnell's questions on affordable housing and Alan Lowe in their respective forums.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#26 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:27 PM

Time will tell if the 2000s infill between these two beautiful old buildings will be better than the crappy 1980s infill they just tore down.

Does anyone have a "before" picture for this site?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#27 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 02:07 PM

They want the infill to be a parking lot. Similar to Lefevre's Herald Street project.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#28 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:20 AM

edited by mod for content

#29 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:38 PM

Pricing starts at $235,000 and completion date is supposedly March 2008.

Should be more data soon at:

http://www.lefevregroup.com

#30 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:36 AM

#31 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:25 PM

Taken yesterday by brett.electrician over at SSP:

Doesn't look like much is happening! What's going on?!

#32 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:41 PM

There were guys working on a strange scafold setup on the alley side of the building last week.

#33 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 04:09 PM

Ah, I see something on the roof, too. I guess interior renovations will take a while. Might as well pull up a chair--we could be looking at a Palladian-style pace.

#34 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:36 PM

I walked by this project yesterday with Mike and there are now some large steel structures in place between the two buildings. They must be for earthquake reinforcement and/or for walkways connecting the two buildings. The holes where these structures attach to the buildings can be seen in the photo posted above.

#35 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:58 PM

Damage to the Leiser Building after the Luisitania riots. Note: will LeFevre restore the "LEISER" name to the top of the building?

#36 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:07 PM

Damage to the Leiser Building after the Luisitania riots.

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly were the Lusitania Riots? Did they have something to do with the ship of the same name?

#37 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:24 PM

The Lusitania was torpedoed by a German submarine in 1915, and sank, taking almost 2000 passengers & crew with her. It was (**) sort of like a WWI equivalent of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, I guess... Anyway, there were anti-German riots in Victoria (and many other Cdn places) as a result. The Leiser family, a prominent German-Jewish Victoria-based family with immediate family members emigrating to Victoria (if I recall correctly) from Germany & from San Francisco to join already established family members here took it on the chin, even though they were totally uninvolved in German war efforts.

EDIT: (**) After some debate here, I'll edit the above statement (which was an off-the-top-of-my-head comment) to read "It was probably perceived at the time by many British-minded patriots the way the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor was perceived decades later: as a cowardly & unforgivable attack." Which in turn provoked riots against anything having to do with the "Huns."
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#38 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:37 PM

Keep the Hun on the run!

#39 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:37 PM

Hun on the run!

Sounds like a German fast-food restaurant....

#40 richardbirkin

richardbirkin
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:36 AM

Now that this project is virtually completed, what are everyones thoughts on the finished product?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users