Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Aria condos | 36.2m | 12- & 12-storeys | Built - completed in 2009

• Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

#81 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,816 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:28 PM

They hauled the dirt away a couple of years ago. I just want to know what it wouls have to do with PCL.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#82 aastra

aastra
  • 20,840 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:43 PM

That was the site of their old garage.

#83 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:44 PM

Some of the dirt... probably the hottest spots.... a couple of summers ago...

Quantum Environmental was working that site until a couple of weeks ago... and as I understand it hauling the topmost layers to their remediation site up-island...

#84 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:45 PM

Some of the contaminated soil was from the days when PCL stored buses there. Other soil is contaminated because it's old polluted muck dredged from the Inner Harbour.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#85 aastra

aastra
  • 20,840 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:45 PM

I wanted to post the rendering of that Delta Royal Victoria hotel but I can't find the darned thing. Does anybody have it?

#86 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:56 PM

Do we have a thread to rehash failed projects...

or, talk about the difficulties developers faced when the contaminated sites act was proclaimed

or, the challenges of developing brownfield sites...

or the lack of serious site investigations and developer risk..

#87 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:10 PM

Do we have a thread to rehash failed projects...

or, talk about the difficulties developers faced when the contaminated sites act was proclaimed

or, the challenges of developing brownfield sites...

or the lack of serious site investigations and developer risk..

that would be a really long thread title...

aastra, here's what the interior would have looked like:

[url=http://mitchellfreedland.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/proj.details/projectID/65A67E79-9822-E137-B2199670EA0732F0/ID/1/index.cfm:5a21f]a bit more here[/url:5a21f]

#88 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:49 PM

It's hard to pin contamination on a certain company or individual, but if it's likely that it could be proven, it's cheaper for them to clean it up than to fight it in court for a couple of years and then have to pay triple what it costs to clean it up. It's not cheap to clean it up either consider it's probably 5-35% of the land cost depending on the contamination. In extreme cases it could be close to 100% of the current market value, but that is only likely in former heavy industrial sites (dockside, DND lands, Rockbay, etc for those types of areas).

#89 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:59 PM

I think what made Aria difficult was that it was small amounts but it was all over the place, unlike a gas station where the contamination is more concentrated.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#90 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 12:19 AM

Most contamination spreads with the natural ground water flow regimine. Similar to what is seen at a gas station. The Aria site had more industrial uses identified in it's past, and like you say it was spread out, but it was one of the most contaminated sites in the city. Hence why it took so long before it was developable!

#91 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:15 AM

Here's the failed Delta Royal Victoria, from Douglas St.

#92 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,816 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:30 AM

I think we dodged a bullet with Aria being built instead of this. I mean Aria is just far nicer a building.

As for soil remdiation I think the worst site in Vic has to be the gas station leak in Cordova Bay that they have been cleaning up for 10 years. The oil is leaching all the way down to the water.

It has a whole new look!

#93 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:47 AM

I actually like the looks of that all glass beauty…except it’s another block long fatscraper. A scooped out lower mid-section and a more inspired roof and it would have been pretty cool.

#94 aastra

aastra
  • 20,840 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:14 AM

I think it was a good design. It's not marred by an excessive number of balconies. Also, the top floors are different from the next couple of floors down, which are different again from the next seven floors, which are different again from the podium. That's excellent.

It also looks quite different from the broad side than it does from the edge side. And even the broad side has some variation in it at the far end there.

As zoomer says, it's too wide. But other than that, I think it deserves a very high mark.

#95 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:47 AM

What's so bad about contaminated soil, and how bad does it have to be for them to have to do something about it? In more minor cases, why not just skim the top, pave/landscape it over, and forget about it? It's not like people are eating it or farming on it. But I really don't know anything about this issue. What ARE the rules and reasons behind this expensive work?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#96 rayne_k

rayne_k
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:08 PM

What's so bad about contaminated soil, and how bad does it have to be for them to have to do something about it? In more minor cases, why not just skim the top, pave/landscape it over, and forget about it? It's not like people are eating it or farming on it. But I really don't know anything about this issue. What ARE the rules and reasons behind this expensive work?

Becuase groundwater flows through the contaminants, and they can end up where it shouldn't be (carried by groundwater flow). When contaminated soils are dumped they usually get dumped into pits that have been lined with low-permeability materials to prevent leaching, and are then sealed.

I'm sure someone more familiar with the rules can give some other reasons but this is the one that springs to my mind.

#97 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:34 AM

Or just plain dumped on Indian reservations.

#98 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,816 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:41 AM

Oh yeah I saw that on the news about a month ago. That was pretty brutal.

It has a whole new look!

#99 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:23 PM

Yes, but, is supposed to have met the Federal disposal regulations... on federally regulated land..?

Unless that was mis-information..

"Dirty Dirt" doesn't come in all the same varieties, potencies or blends...

Think Milk.... - 1 % milk, 2 % milk, Skim Milk.. homogenized milk.. milk with the cream on the top.. if you can recall that from ancient times.. chocolate milk anyone..?

#100 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:39 PM

[url=http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/capital_van_isl/story.html?id=afd31dd8-80bf-4151-949b-82cb7e6e0120&k=8710&p=1:0e687]Soil dumped on Metchosin reserve worries residents[/url:0e687]

...the soil was rated usable for commercial or industrial purposes but not for residential use. The soil apparently came from three Victoria sites, including Point Hope Shipyard...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users