Other local mayors announce their futures

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:13 PM

At least four have already decided. They are Saanich Mayor Frank Leonard, Langford Mayor Stew Young, Esquimalt Mayor Chris Clement and Metchosin Mayor John Ranns.

"I'm running. I've been saying that forever," said Leonard, who as one of the most successful local politicians on Vancouver Island, will be seeking his fifth term as mayor.

<snip>

"Oh yeah, I have all the intentions of running again," said Langford Mayor Stew Young, who identified transportation and providing recreation as the two big issues he wants to see addressed.

"I want to see the (Esquimalt and Nanaimo) train running the right way and deal with that. We're dealing with that right now. I'm hoping that will happen over the next two years and I think it will," Young said.

"I'd like to see more recreation to get kids more involved and I'd like to see a new Belmont school."

Ranns, meanwhile, says it's important he seeks another term so he can continue the fight to keep Metchosin rural in face of the pro-development communities of Sooke, Colwood and Langford on its borders.

<snip>

Esquimalt's Clement, who came out of political retirement in 2005 to reclaim his municipality's top job, says he has the appetite for another three years. Clement actually made no secret of the fact he was going to run for re-election earlier in December when he challenged Langford Coun. Denise Blackwell for chair of the Capital Regional District. He lost but was acclaimed vice-chairman.

"I made my mind up a long time ago," Clement said. "I just think Esquimalt is moving in the right direction and I'd like to be the one to keep us on that course."

<snip>

http://www.canada.co...7a-6223115218c8

#2 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:14 PM

"Oh yeah, I have all the intentions of running again," said Langford Mayor Stew Young, who identified transportation and providing recreation as the two big issues he wants to see addressed.

"I want to see the (Esquimalt and Nanaimo) train running the right way and deal with that. We're dealing with that right now. I'm hoping that will happen over the next two years and I think it will," Young said.

Regardless what people might say about Langford's explosive development and how they are doing it. I am glad Young is throwing his support behind in improving the E&N's passenger train service. If we can upgrade the E&N between Duncan and Victoria to allow fast commuter trains, then we can prevent any future widenings or highway bypasses thru the Malahat. Better train services means no reason for any major highway improvements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users