257 Belleville Street
Use: condo
Address: 257 Belleville Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 8
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR)
Sales status: in planning
257 Belleville Street is a proposal for an eight-storey condominium along the 200-block of Belleville Street i... (view full profile)
Learn more about 257 Belleville Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[James Bay - Victoria] 257 Belleville (Admiral Inn site) | 29.5m | 8-storeys | Approved

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#21 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:42 AM

This will never happen, but WOW what a cool building. Obviously it's too cool for Victoria. It actually has interesting architecture, which is a high crime in Victoria. Check out the FSR too. This would be amazing if built.

It actually sickens me that striking architecture like this is so shunned in Victoria. Come on, can we have at least one building as interesting and modern as this? Just one? Please??!

#22 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:08 AM

Perhaps developers are realizing that if they actually want to build in james Bay their best hope is to start with a way over the top proposal, and they might get something reasonable in the end (similiar to how one might negotiate with a three year old).

#23 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:34 AM

^ What do you think is unreasonable about the building?

#24 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:51 AM

Some speakers at the open house tonight complained that they wouldn't like this effect on their community.

For the record, that looks like it's the Inner Harbour -- and that makes it my community, too. That part of town is everyone's.

I'm amazed by this, it's great -- love the street view where it looks like a pyramid.

I hope this gets built!
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#25 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:04 AM

^ What do you think is unreasonable about the building?

Myself, nothing!! I love it!!

That said, I don't think I'd be out of line saying that most people who are reading this thread are thinking to themselves 'it's never gonna happen'. I'd also venture a guess that, in the opinion 0f the JBNA, the word 'unreasonable' would be an understatement.

Again though, I'd personally love to see this building. More than density, street interface, etc etc, my own belief is that the most needed aspect to some of the new developments here in Vic is bold architecture. But I'm just a guy kinda bored at work.....

#26 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:37 AM

Too true! Thanks

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:49 AM

I'd personally love to see this building. More than density, street interface, etc etc, my own belief is that the most needed aspect to some of the new developments here in Vic is bold architecture.

My thoughts exactly.

This design is so quirky, so eccentric and so un-Victorian that it's perfect.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:55 AM

Something about the non-glassy side rubs me the wrong way. Overall I'm liking the idea of a giant glass triangle because Harbour Towers and those Laurel Point Apartments are both very "heavy" buildings, but the back side just seems to be too solid to me. I'd prefer to see more glass coverage on that side. Then again, I suppose it depends on what the cladding is.

#29 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:35 AM

^ Do you mean the side with the random window pattern? Because I am feeling that is my favourite part especially when you view from the cityline pic.

#30 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:38 AM

How much is the JBNEA really going to dig in their heals against this one? I mean, yah, it's quirky and different, but it's only 12 stories. That should keep 'em from losing their lunch. Shouln't it? They don't seem to be bothered with bland, boring designs. Why would this "strange" design bother them so much, so long as it's not too high.
I know. I'm being naive.

#31 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:51 AM

How much is the JBNEA really going to dig in their heals against this one?

Based on the Crystalview proposal (a relatively benign design in comparison, albeit taller) the JBNIMBYERS will fight this one to the death (or at least the death of this design.)

#32 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:56 AM

I mean, yah, it's quirky and different, but it's only 12 stories.

Not only is it the same height as its neighbours, but it's also not really a very large building at all when you think about it. There's hardly any mass at all above the seventh floor or so.

Victoria's a fickle town. Shoal Point is too romanticized and ornate; Astoria is too tall, too ordinary, and too cookie-cutter; Parc Residences is too massive; Bayview is too wide and too conventional. And you can't build a glassy Vancouver-style highrise because that would turn Victoria into Vancouver. So along comes something that aims to defy every criticism we've ever heard...and it's no good precisely because it's different.

#33 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:35 AM

Exactly - what I am looking at is the fact that the proposal is for one of the boldest departure from the typical urban form proposed for arguably the most conservative and organized neighbourhoods in the CRD. It's like bringing a punk band to a tea party. There is something sublime about it, and damn funny too.

There is a deeper question here about neighbourhood boundaries - is this development in James Bay? Or is it in the Inner Harbour? Those are questions we've been shy about asking as a city, and they are becoming increasingly relevant for all our shoulder neighbourhoods in the core. Humbolt Valley, Rock Bay, Harris Green, Dockside, all need to be considered carefully in light of boundaries. There is something very special about the core of James Bay - a wonderful vibrancy, and community, and atmosphere that I understand its denizens wanting to protect at all costs.

Until we decide where to draw the line on the map, and where projects should be of a scale and design to fit the harbour and the parliamentary precinct, and where projects should be of a scale, design and affordability level that will add to instead of subtract from the community heart of James Bay, we are going to be in a fight for every square inch of land, against a defensive community under siege, who rightly feels that what they have built over decades is endangered. This fight serves Victoria as a whole very poorly, because if Downtown "wins" then we can easily loose something wonderful and vibrant that money can't buy back. And if James Bay "wins" then we get a small and conservative minority of the population with a death grip on important parts of the downtown core, blocking worthwhile projects that are entirely suitable to the harbour, or to downtown. But without direction and compromise, the results are up to the whim of struggle, and who gets to dictate the end product is a matter of who mobilizes best, not what makes the most sense for Victoria.

#34 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:38 AM

Wow...That is one heck of a bold design for Victoria. I'm sitting up in the crane and looking straight at Admiral's Inn right now, it blends so nicely into the foliage and surrounding buildings (at least from this angle)...That design concept it bold, but it has many merits. I'd stay it would still look better than View Towers or the concrete highrise eye sores from the 70's around Beacon Hill and in central James Bay! - Interesting to see where this ones ends up

#35 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:40 AM

We need a guyinthesky Vibrant Victoria webcam. I'll pitch in for some of the overhead!!!!!!!!!!

#36 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:40 AM

Am I to understand you are posting to VV from up in a crane?

Cause that rocks, if so.

#37 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:47 AM

Haha Yes Yes I am posting from the Crane...Its a slow day so I need something to occupy my downtime! What better than to post on VV! - Guyinthesky Cam! thats a great idea!

#38 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:26 PM

WTF kind of building is that?
There is so much clashing going on. Is that going to be brick up the one side of it? It's like the Chealsea meets Futurism.

I think it looks great from the one side (the glass side, obviously) but the other 3 sides look terrible. I'm not quite sure what to think of this but hopefully there are some big changes if it gets built.

#39 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:26 PM

I soooo wouldn't want to be the guy working under that crane....

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:39 PM

Haha Yes Yes I am posting from the Crane...Its a slow day so I need something to occupy my downtime! What better than to post on VV! - Guyinthesky Cam! thats a great idea!

Huh, guy in crane posting. I think that's kind of neat.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users