Photo

"The unpalatable truth" Your Food Hates

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:49 PM

The Guardian UK had this blog which I thought was both hilarious and enlightening, with the comments proving taste is not universal. I thought it might be worthwhile to see what the VV audience thought - so here goes.

Post your food hates - what you seriously cannot abide, something that if it is included in a dish or meal puts you right off!!

Here are mine -

Durian fruit - a noxious, rotten smelling fruit from South Asia that many think is a delicacy.

Tripe - well, the English version, of white, sticky sheep intestine strips, boiled, and usually served in a white sauce with onions.

Mushy peas - again English. Perfectly decent peas crushed to a paste - no flavour and gangrenous colour.

Chaume Cheese - a very popular Belgian Cheese that both smells and tastes of sweaty shoes gone bad. (and I even like unpasteurized Danish Blue)

Up to you now - have fun!!!

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:08 PM

I've had durian. It tastes like bubblegum and has the consistency of bread dough. But it smells so bad, public places in Asia have "No Durian" signs everywhere.

Still, I'd try durian again before I'd try that English crap like mushy peas. Who in their right mind eats that?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:15 PM

Kidneys. Organ meats generally (except liver).
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#4 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:16 PM

Here are mine -

Durian fruit - a noxious, rotten smelling fruit from South Asia that many think is a delicacy.

Tripe - well, the English version, of white, sticky sheep intestine strips, boiled, and usually served in a white sauce with onions.

Mushy peas - again English. Perfectly decent peas crushed to a paste - no flavour and gangrenous colour.

Chaume Cheese - a very popular Belgian Cheese that both smells and tastes of sweaty shoes gone bad. (and I even like unpasteurized Danish Blue)

Up to you now - have fun!!!

wtf all those things sound really exotic... except tripes & mushy peas. anyway the only thing I can think of off the top of my head is mushrooms.

#5 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:48 PM

I forgot sheep eyes!! We were 'almost' served those in Morocco in a mountain hut while climbing Mount Toupkal back in '87. Our guide was so proud to bring out a huge mountain of couscous with this 'stew' of mutton and veggies poured over. We all eagerly dug in after a long day of high altitude hiking. I went for seconds and as the spoon went into the couscous this eye looked back - my climbing partner, a hardy Aussie girl, promptly projectile vomited all over the dish.

Apparently we had 'bought' the entire sheep when he asked earlier in the day for $5 to get food for dinner. They had used everything in the stew but the eyes were placed near the bottom for serving as they were considered the best part.

I cannot actually say I dislike sheep eyes, having never actually had one - but the thought...

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,777 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:58 PM

That's enough to make me turn vegan. :eek:

#7 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 03:57 AM

Mushrooms-Feel like rubber and taste like dirt.

Onions-Taste like what my sweaty armpits smell like, and they're spicy hot too.

Parsnips-Just nasty tasting with a doughy, pasty feel.

Tomatos-Can't figure out if they are a fruit or vegetable. Either way, they suck.

Steak and Kidney pie-Made the mistake of having this homemade at a friend's place years ago. Their whole place smelled like a back alley in New Orleans after Mardi Gras. Just disgusting.

Olives-Rubbery, really nasty tasting little things.

Calamari-Tastes okay if you like chewing on tires.

Anything spicy. I'll never understand why people want to burn their mouths when they eat. I seem to live in a society of masochists. Very strange.

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:49 AM

Hmmm... I like pretty much everything...

Ok yes most animal organs though the occasional liver is pretty good.

Water chesnuts are boring...

Oh yeah and sea urchin gross!

#9 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:58 AM

Eggs and ANY organ meat.

#10 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:08 AM

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#11 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:09 AM

^ I thought we were only discussing food products?

#12 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:14 AM

I eat everything, but I do think mangoes taste like sick.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 11:18 AM

Caraway seeds! Can't stand the taste of them. For some reason caraway flips my gag reflex switch on even though I'm not allergic to them or anything.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:35 PM

Hmmm... I like pretty much everything...

Ok yes most animal organs though the occasional liver is pretty good.

Wonder if you might like this - my wife and I were looking for a restaurant in a small French town a few years back. Walking down a side street an utterly offensive smell (somewhat like sewage) floated out of a fairly crowded restaurant. We avoided that place and much later found out what the 'delicacy' was.

Apparently there is an American version - although I have never heard of it being sold in Canada.

If anyone can discover something more disgusting post it..

#15 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:44 PM

^ gastronomic coprophilia...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#16 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 03:51 PM

I'm not a fan of cilantro or most curries/indian foods. (Although I do like some indian foods, mainly their dumpling-shaped items and the pekora things are delicious too)

I like anything from super spicy Korean to boring English food. From sushi made from random scraps as a joke from the chef, to a can of spam.

#17 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 04:48 PM

I'm not a fan of cilantro or most curries/indian foods

curry powder is just a spice blend, so would it one of the spices that goes in it? (usually cumin, coriander, cinnamon, ginger & other stuff)

#18 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 04:54 PM

Curry powder is actually derived from the curry leaf. It is a single equation, not a blending of other spices.

#19 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:08 PM

we're both right:
http://en.wikipedia....ki/Curry_powder

#20 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:14 PM

Coincidentally, The Times-Colonist's Pam Frier writes about her food hates and invites readers to submit theirs.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users