Photo

1994/2022 Commonwealth Games

• Please log in to reply
607 replies to this topic

#461 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:04 PM

There is a rumour going around that David Black is also looking into a development of some sort. Jives with his comment there.

#462 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:54 PM

Black Press pumped out a pro-games op-ed today by David Black which was published across its local news network.

"David Black says there’s never been a better time to leverage government funding for local projects."

Let's be clear. Governments have NO money, it's all collected from taxpayers. Homeowners, property owners, businesses, sales taxes blabla.
Thank you, David Black, for devising yet another scheme to piss away money that isn't yours.

#463 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:15 PM

Let's be clear. Governments have NO money, it's all collected from taxpayers. Homeowners, property owners, businesses, sales taxes blabla.
Thank you, David Black, for devising yet another scheme to piss away money that isn't yours.

That's not entirely true. Governments do have revenue generating divisions that are not tax-based. It's not like 100% of government revenue comes from taxes.

#464 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,686 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:19 PM

I suppose a massive chunk of revenues are accrued via mandatory user fees for government services.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#465 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:38 PM

Well, there are resource royalties (logging, mining, oil/gas etc.).

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#466 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:15 PM

Well, there are resource royalties (logging, mining, oil/gas etc.).

True but if the Government wants to invest $400M in affordable housing then they don't need a $955M sporting event to do it. 

#467 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:22 PM

I agree.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#468 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:26 PM

True but if the Government wants to invest $400M in affordable housing then they don't need a $955M sporting event to do it. 

Yes but the optics are what counts, because building affordable housing won't be televised in 97 languages in 37 countries.

#469 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:04 AM

As I noted earlier in the thread, I generally support these kinds of large scale public events simply because I believe in the overall lift they give to all aspects of a community.

But here in the CRD, I believe the public is far wiser than it was in 1994, and having seen the general disasters that are sewage treatment and the new bridge, combined with the ridiculous efforts to build a new pool, de-fund local arts facilities, and any number of other poorly thought out efforts to further make residents of the CRD's lives less enjoyable - while continuing to take more of their tax dollars ... and those "far wiser" residents no longer accept hack politicians and businessmen telling them whats good for them as residents, and what they should (or shouldn't) vote for or agree to have their money spent on.

All of this is overshadowed by the amateur level of governance caused by running a dozen little fiefdoms rather than an amalgamated "super-city" that would not only be wealthy and efficient, but would also presumably encourage more trust in the residents of such an amalgamation than the current level of trust enjoyed by the little "kings courts" that run our 12 or 13 little empires currently.

In simple terms, residents of the CRD have lost all trust in their municipal governments to make intelligent or financially responsible decisions ... this after decades of pitiful, amateur governance at the municipal level.

Edited by Cassidy, 24 August 2017 - 06:05 AM.

• Nparker, spanky123 and Midnightly like this

#470 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,686 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:30 AM

Can't argue with that.

Yesterday Shelley Gudgeon, former CoV councillor, said on CFAX that local politicians have already turned their backs on voters by not pursuing the amalgamation issue they told us they'd pursue if they won and if the public supported it via referendums.

So here we are, three years after the last election and not a step has been taken by the municipal leaders we asked to pursue the amalgamation issue.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#471 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:58 AM

^ Not only that but it sounds like the terms of reference for our long overdue report didn't even address amalgamation. We pay $100K for a report that basic tells us where we are today, what isn't working and highlights a couple of examples of minor collaboration. 

Edited by spanky123, 24 August 2017 - 06:58 AM.

#472 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:49 PM

BREAKING:  No provincial support for the games.

• Nparker likes this

#473 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,913 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:52 PM

BREAKING:  No provincial support for the games.

Where is this being reported?

#474 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:57 PM

B.C. finance minister says province will not support Victoria Commonwealth Games bid

MORE:

• Nparker likes this

#475 TransplantedEdmontonian

TransplantedEdmontonian
  • 39 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:12 PM

I assume this will put an end to this silliness, right?

That I even have to ask the question scares me!

• Nparker likes this

#476 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:19 PM

I think it's really important to note here, because a lot of hypothetical criticism has been lobbed around at various levels of government on this issue, how nice it is to see due diligence put into this issue by a would-be major funding partner.

So whether you are pro-Games or anti-Games, I think a pat on the back is deserved by the provincial government for looking at this seriously (as they should), and making an informed decision.

• VicHockeyFan, thundergun and Midnightly like this

#477 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:25 PM

I think it's really important to note here, because a lot of hypothetical criticism has been lobbed around at various levels of government on this issue, how nice it is to see due diligence put into this issue by a would-be major funding partner.

So whether you are pro-Games or anti-Games, I think a pat on the back is deserved by the provincial government for looking at this seriously (as they should), and making an informed decision.

I wonder if it's just no to the games, or is it no to Black's projects in general?

#478 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:25 PM

B.C. finance minister says province will not support Victoria Commonwealth Games bid

MORE:

Well at least all of the local politicians can now finally tell us that they never supported the bid.

• Nparker likes this

#479 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,913 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:34 PM

Well at least all of the local politicians can now finally tell us that they never supported the bid.

It will be interesting to see how Stu Young spins his response.

#480 LJ

LJ
  • 12,771 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:09 PM

You mean they dithered long enough to see which way the wind was blowing and then announced.

Most of the rest of us didn't need weeks to figure out what money pit this would become.

• Nparker and Midnightly like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users