E&N Railway (VIA Rail) discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1261 replies to this topic

#1221 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:47 PM

Two more Vancouver Island First Nations are taking the Island Corridor Foundation to court over the E&N rail line, looking to get railway land returned to them.

The Cowichan Tribes near Duncan and the Halalt First Nation near Chemainus seek to prove in court that there is no "reasonable prospect" that rail operations will return to the E&N rail line.

As such, they want land where the tracks cross their reserves given back. In documents filed in BC Supreme Court they cite laws like the federal "Consolidated Railway Act" that said land should revert to the reserves, or at least the crown, in the case that rail operations ceased. The Cowichan and Halalt say the land was originally removed from their reserves in the 1800’s when the tracks were first laid.

The Island Corridor Foundation and Attorney General of Canada are named as defendants.

The Nanoose Bay First Nation launched a similar civil suit earlier this year.

http://www.iheartrad...-line-1.2186829

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1222 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:42 AM

Apologies if this was already posted.

http://thetyee.ca/Op...Island-Railway/

October 11/16

The Sad Story of the Little Railway that Couldn’t Public ownership of Vancouver Island’s E&N has produced rusting tracks and disappointment.

They say that the railway has $337M in assets, mostly land ($276M).  Develop that freaking land to pay for the track upgrades then.

• Bingo likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1223 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:04 AM

October 11/16

They say that the railway has $337M in assets, mostly land ($276M).  Develop that freaking land to pay for the track upgrades then.

Thanks for the post, as I think I missed that one.

I like your idea of developing the land to pay for the track upgrades so that the railway can run again.

So maybe there is a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel...now that you are onside.  :)

#1224 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:48 PM

October 11/16

use that as collateral in getting funding, kind of like taking a second mortgage on  house perhaps?

#1225 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:32 PM

At the Bayview Place community engagement; the developers are working with the city, province, and Ottawa to get commuter rail to West Shore working. Timeline is a matter of months.
  • Bingo likes this

#1226 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:39 PM

Unless all the money comes from senior governments, it's not going to happen.

Quite frankly, Esquimalt residents will flip if they are not consulted on new trains.

Bayview residents might not like the train whistles at 7:45am.
  • Prom2 likes this

#1227 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 04:02 PM

At the Bayview Place community engagement; the developers are working with the city, province, and Ottawa to get commuter rail to West Shore working. Timeline is a matter of months.

With some private money and some money from the Municipality perhaps.

#1228 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,548 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 05:45 PM

Quite frankly, Esquimalt residents will flip if they are not consulted on new trains.

Bayview residents might not like the train whistles at 7:45am.

Plenty of public roads already running through ESQ. Loud horns, sirens, Motorbikes, float planes will drown out the train....

#1229 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:52 PM

People I have talked in Esquimalt seemed very supportive of new trains

Train whistles in VicWest wont be needed if there are controlled crossings.

#1230 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:00 AM

I didn't know that.  How many are left to do though?  Those rail arms cost more than an arm and a leg.

#1231 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:13 AM

There are too many pedestrians around for them to successfully apply to end whistling.  It'll be required to cross Esquimalt Rd. and all through the Songhees.

#1232 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:14 AM

I didn't know that.  How many are left to do though?  Those rail arms cost more than an arm and a leg.

Hallowell Road

Maplebank

Russel St.

Mary St.

to name a few.

#1233 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:20 AM

There are too many pedestrians around for them to successfully apply to end whistling.  It'll be required to cross Esquimalt Rd. and all through the Songhees.

Whistles are from the era of steam.

They now use horns such as...https://www.youtube....h?v=ea8rkQFXEr4

They are music to the ears of most people.

#1234 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:22 AM

Whistling

Train whistles are the most important public safety mechanism available to our engineers. Whistles are purposely loud so they catch the attention of those nearby and alert people a train is coming. 

Because whistles are so critical in keeping you and us safe, there are specific requirements for its use. In Canada, trains are required under the Railway Safety Act of 1988 to whistle at all public crossings - those areas along our track where vehicles and pedestrians cross. Trains must begin sounding its whistle a quarter mile from the crossing and repeat whistling until the train is on the crossing. Our crews also sound the whistle if their view is restricted or they perceive a danger, such as someone walking on the track.

These rules apply 24 hours a day and whistles must be sounded even if a crossing has lights, bells and crossing gates. The only exception to these whistling regulations are crossings where federally approved whistle prohibitions have been put in place. 

http://www.cpr.ca/en...ear-the-railway

#1235 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:24 AM

Edit; Just did a poll and instead of "most" it's 63.5%

#1236 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Oh sure, people used to like the Dayliner whistle.  Because it only started at 8:15am.  And only did one morning run out and one evening run in.  People will have a different appreciation of 6 trains a day, starting at 7:00am.  View Royal residents complained about the tourist train a few year back and it only did mid-day runs.

#1237 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

400K a rail arm and you need 2, so probably safe to assume each interesection upgrade will be over 1 million.

#1238 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:26 AM

400K a rail arm and you need 2, so probably safe to assume each interesection upgrade will be over 1 million.

There is no way that Esquimalt is going to pay for that.  Again, senior governments might.

#1239 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:35 AM

400K a rail arm and you need 2, so probably safe to assume each intersection upgrade will be over 1 million.

The cost is over 36 million and has already been billed to the taxpayer to complete the E&N Trail for pedestrians and cyclists.

How much will it cost?

The overall project value is estimated at $36 million.

Where is the money coming from? Since the beginning of the project in 2007, almost $20 million in funding has been awarded to this $36 million initiative. 

The overall trail project has been strongly supported by the federal government through the Regionally Significant Projects, Strategic Priorities Gas Tax Funding, and the Western Economic Diversification Fund, and by the Province of BC through Bike BC and Local Motion funding. The CRD has covered all costs that are not encompassed by grant funding. The CRD will continue to seek funding opportunities for future phases.

- See more at: https://www.crd.bc.c...h.qh2jO9Pf.dpuf

#1240 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:36 AM

I wish we had the business case in the public realm.  I want to see the numbers.  As we are now I don't see how people can be in support or against the line being restarted.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users