Photo

Childhood food memories

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:04 PM

If you remember the thread on "Food Hates", Jay Raynor of the Guardian has started another version asking childhood food memories. Let's get some feedback from VV. Think back and relate your favourite/hated meals growing up!!

The Worst - neither of my parents were good cooks. They grew up during WWll in the UK with rationing that did not end until 1952 (little to work with). My mother would put a pound of ground beef at the bottom of a casserole dish, smother it with cans of tomato sauce, top that with thin sliced potatoes, and let it cook in the oven from 8AM to 5PM while she was at work, and us kids at school. The result was horrible.

The Best - at least once a month, when my sister and I were old enough, we dined at a restaurant. This was not just an excuse to eat out (or avoid the hated casserole) but an 'educational' experience for the kids. We were taught etiquette, patience, politeness and given a love of good food. One night was at the Cannery, a fabulous fish restaurant in Vancouver. I was 11 or 12, fairly young, and after a plate of Alaskan King Crab asked our waiter to complement the chef. He promptly came out, and I distinctly remember discussing if the side melted butter had too much garlic. I am sure my parents had a huge laugh -

Let's read your stories - your favourite childhood dish, and maybe the worst.

#2 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 05:55 PM

Wood and coal stove. Ice box. Respect for all food.
Porridge for breakfast, sandwich for lunch, meat potatoes veg for dinner.
Very few snacks. Very little candy. The same for most post-war children whose parents grew up in the 30s.
Treat....fish and chips or milkshake or float.
Big treat...Lunch at the Poodle Dog or the Sussex Hotel or similar.
Biggest treat.......Dinner at the Princess Mary or Old England Inn.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:18 PM

Almost every Saturday we went to Sea-To-You at Shelbourne Plaza. Good stuff.

#4 yadana

yadana
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:40 PM

In my native land, Burma, we can get various kind of food which everybody can afford. We can have chinese snacks such as dim sum, and also indian snacks such as dosa from the same shop cos' China in east and India in west. I miss my country and yes..of course childhood food. I can't make at home cos' not only taking time also cannot get all ingredients.

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:42 PM

There used to be an awesome burmese restaurant in Vancouver that i went to as a kid but I can't remember the name wish we had one here...

#6 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:45 PM

My mom made fresh bread every week. Playing with the dough as a kid, the smell of it baking and then that first hot slice, with cold butter on it. I still make bread now, but I use a breadmaker to do my kneeding. Oooh and sometimes I put honey on it. We weren't allowed a lot of sweets back then so that is a real treat!

#7 yadana

yadana
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:23 PM

There used to be an awesome burmese restaurant in Vancouver that i went to as a kid but I can't remember the name wish we had one here...

Yes, thanks for the information. I've heard about it. But I am new to Canada, that's why I've never been to Vancouver. We'll try later. In Victoria, we tried at China Town, Thai Rest. and Vietnum Rest. already.

Some said some of Burmese food are derived from neighbouring countries. They are sometimes look alike, not only with Food from neighbouring countries, also Asian countries. Spicy, Oily, etc. Some are not good for health. But we like it. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users