Cityzen Residences
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 613 Herald Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (1BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Cityzen Residences is a six-storey, 32 unit condo with ground floor commercial space on Herald Street near Gov... (view full profile)
Learn more about Cityzen Residences on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Cityzen Residences (613 Herald Street) | Condos; commercial | 6-storeys | Excavation

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

#141 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:09 PM

^ Gross
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#142 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:01 PM

^ Gross

/\ ......yup. "Dreck". How utterly......um.....uninspiring. In true Victoria fashion. But "hey" at least its not tall.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#143 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:13 AM

The proponents have increased the building height to six-storeys (18.73 meters) and have reduced parking spaces from 12 to 10.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#144 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:15 AM

What about the design of the ground level? Any changes?

#145 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:27 AM

That's a substantial change. Does it need reappraisal?

#146 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:53 AM

Sorry, reappraisal?

I've put in a request for more information from the architect.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#147 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:59 AM

I doubt the developers can simply go, "oh, by the way, we plunked two more storeys on top". Even if the zoning permitted it, it might need to reappear before Advisory Design Panel.

#148 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 11:08 AM

Oh I see. It's gone before council. Planners approve of the changes and urge council to do the same. I'm unclear as to whether or not council approved the changes last week.

Just to reiterate, the change is from five to six floors with the sixth floor being recessed some seven meters from the frontage.

Know it all.

#149 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:50 AM

• removal of two parking stalls and replacing these with 16 secure bicycle storage racks (2 of which have been relocated from the basement)

All these developments with hardly any parking and bike storage out the ying yang.  There's definitely a relationship between recent development and essentially forcing people to bike or walk (or Modo but you can't do that every day).  You'd almost think it was in developers' best interests to have better bike infrastructure in town if they want to keep pushing bikes as an alternative to providing ample parking.

#150 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:26 AM

Approvals sought for amended Chinatown condo proposal at 613 Herald Street
http://victoria.citi...-herald-street/

A revised proposal for a six-storey mixed-use 32 unit condo and ground floor commercial development at 613 Herald Street in Victoria's Chinatown district will be before City of Victoria in the coming weeks.

Project architect Peter Hardcastle, Principal at Hillel Architecture of Victoria, cited community feedback as the driver of design improvements that have allowed the development concept, formerly known as Kunju Residences, to mesh into the existing fabric of the neighbourhood. [Full article]

Latest (2016) six-storey design

613-Herald-Street-rendering.jpg

2015 five-storey design

thumb.jpeg

Know it all.

#151 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:37 AM

Do you have a direct front photo?  I'm curious how the smaller parking entry looks.

#152 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:56 AM

Sure, here you go.

613 Herald.gif

Know it all.

#153 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:53 PM

Thanks. Looks better. Might have preferred the entry off to one side though. It's probably nothing you'll actually notice though because who is going to stare at the building from the tire place. Most views will be from the same sidewalk.

I couldn't really tell you where the car park entry is in Trevor Lindens building.

#154 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:43 PM

If the city ever wanted to vote something down and have me in agreement, this thing would be it.
  • Jill likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#155 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:11 PM

Almost ten years this thing has been passed around various architects and City Hall and it looks it.

• Jill and sdwright.vic like this

#156 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:22 AM

be448805.jpg

kabuki_Sept_08.jpg

Exterior1.jpg

victoria-kunju-01.jpg

post-96-0-62784700-1437261700.jpg

Attached Images

• image.jpeg

• D.L. likes this

#157 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:30 AM

Different shades of lipstick on a pig.

My favourite one actually is the one with 600% of the daily pedestrian traffic on Herald, including the only child to have ever walked on this street.

Edited by nagel, 22 January 2016 - 07:32 AM.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#158 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:51 AM

Note how the red moves around before being virtually eliminated.

This no knock against Hardcastle, he's doing the best with what he's given considering the circumstances, I think it's just a conflict of visions. D'Ambrosio wanted a jewel, an eye-catching piece of Asian-inspired modernism sandwiched between two big "heritage influenced" condos.

What others wanted was more like filler, something that contained elements from its surroundings like camouflage so that it blended in seamlessly without drawing attention.

#159 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 06:45 AM

237 condos approved for downtown Victoria
http://victoria.citi...ntown-victoria/

City of Victoria councillors have approved two downtown Victoria mixed-use condo and ground floor commercial proposals.

989 Johnson, a two tower, 205-unit 17- and 15-storey development, the future tallest building along Johnson Street, will rise on Johnson Street at Vancouver Street on McCall Bros. Funeral Home’s surface parking lot. Units will range between studio, one bedroom, two bedroom and penthouse layouts with 9,000 square feet of ground floor commercial space fronting onto both thoroughfares. [Full article]

Know it all.

#160 attica

attica
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:27 AM

also 100% support from the few speakers and council

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users