Mall revitalization

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:30 PM

I got some more - three of them are at Shelbourne and Feltham. Two on the east side of Shelbourne, one two-storey one across the street.

#42 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 12:21 PM

-- corner of Wilkinson & W Saanich
-- corner of Carey & Tillicum
(maybe they're too small to be called malls...)

#43 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:40 PM

Add the two at Douglas/Boleskine on either side of the tunnel under Boleskine. I guess they were both built before the Goose (as we know it) was developed, and weren't intended to have much "interaction" with it. (same with Gateway Village I think) That definitely has to change imho. Actually why not include everything on the west side of Douglas from Boleskine/Saanich to the pedestrian overpass near Carey.

#44 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:32 PM

Nootka Court. I can't even count how many times I've walked past that place without even noticing it. I know there's a movie theatre & the Bug Zoo's new(ish) home but other than that I don't know much about it.

#45 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:49 PM

Nootka Court was pretty cool when that type of indoor/outdoor rustic mews architecture was fashionable. It had a more vibrant mix of stores including a liquor store on the upper side but I remember there were a few social problems with that location because of the drunks that would hang out there.

I seems that practically every mall in the region is in need of a facelift. I think the only small mall on the upswing is the quiet little St. Andrews mall between Yates and View.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#46 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:58 AM

Nootka Court...I know there's a movie theatre & the Bug Zoo's new(ish) home...

Actually the Vic Theatre finally gave up the ghost a couple of months ago (I am, pretty sure there is a thread on that here somewhere). The Bug Zoo thrives as does the Mr. Mixer shop, but calling this place a mall is a bit of a misnomer. It really is just an office building with a couple of retail spaces. Nevetheless it is in dire need of a facelift.

#47 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:35 AM

It really is just an office building with a couple of retail spaces.

So it's a mall that's trying to be an office building, or it's an office building trying to be a mall. However you look at it it doesn't seem to do either very well, does it?

Nevetheless it is in dire need of a facelift.

That whole Crystal Garden block & the nasty parking lot across the street (The Falls) are both getting facelifts so why not!

#48 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:24 AM

That whole Crystal Garden block & the nasty parking lot across the street (The Falls) are both getting facelifts so why not!

Having worked in Nootka Court for quite a number of years, I suspect the "why not?" can be answered by lack of interest on the part of the landlord.

#49 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,077 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 06:48 AM

So when Orange Julius or whatever closed at Tillicum, did these guys take over?

https://www.facebook...DogGuysTillicum

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 07:04 AM

Sounds right. Matt will know for sure.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#51 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 04:00 PM

Hah yes they did. I still boycott the mall except for using their urinals.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users