Infrastructure Commercial

• Please log in to reply
2343 replies to this topic

#1681 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,607 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:01 AM

I for one am glad the market spoke and also agreed that this project wasn't right... There is some positive changes in the new design so that is something. I think the commercial there is a huge plus and some sort of marine development makes sense but I was 100% NIMY on the project and know others in the hood that are. Time is now to reapply pressure to have more public and neighbourhood features. The way to do it is to say we don't want it at all...

#1682 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,647 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:48 AM

Why would anyone be against it? Marinas belong on the water, and this particular marina was envisioned and part of the Songhees from day one. Not liking the idea of aarina there is not a valid reason to stall it.
  • Nparker and tedward like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1683 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,607 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:00 PM

I didn't say I didn't like the idea of a marina there... I've made my options clear as to why I didn't like this project... Refer to those.

#1684 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,647 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:05 PM

I'm referring more-so to Knot-a-Yacht's letter, which suggests that  7,000 people are dead set against the project. It's just bizarre to be opposed to a marina at that location, is all.

It's like telling Air Canada their aircraft hanger at an airport has no business being there. I can't follow that logic unless we acknowledge the opposition is there for reasons other than what has been stated.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1685 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:08 PM

I don't know.  It seems every rezoning or even minor variance now is seen as a way get a wedge in there and try to get private property owners to do things for free.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1686 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,607 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:25 PM

It's like telling Air Canada their aircraft hanger at an airport has no business being there. I can't follow that logic unless we acknowledge the opposition is there for reasons other than what has been stated.

It's nothing like that. It's more akin to someone leasing the legislation lawn and turning it into a mega RV lot...
  • jklymak likes this

#1687 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,881 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:26 PM

...It's more akin to someone leasing the legislation lawn and turning it into a mega RV lot...

Only if the Legislature lawn had always been zoned as a car lot.

• lanforod likes this

#1688 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,647 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:54 PM

Only if the Legislature lawn had always been zoned as a car lot.

...and wasn't a lawn at at all but a giant parking lot.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#1689 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:56 PM

...and wasn't a lawn at at all but a giant parking lot.

Or at least a big asphalt pad, just with no markings on it yet.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1690 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,647 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:01 PM

I can see what's happening here. If airplanes can land on the harbour, why can't megayachts be stored at airports? It's a perfect place, really, with ample parking, ample truck delivery opportunities, all that stuff. Locating a marina on a harbour is just stupid and it gets in the way of kayaks and waves.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#1691 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,607 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:01 PM

That's how you guy's see our harbour? wow....

#1692 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,647 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:12 PM

As a place for boats? Yes, absolutely.

• Nparker and lanforod like this

Know it all.

#1693 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:40 PM

Locating a marina on a harbour is just stupid and it gets in the way of kayaks and waves.

Meanwhile, in the last 5 years the Harbour Authority has added an awful lot of docks/wharfs all over the harbour, how come nobody complained about them? 

• Nparker likes this

#1694 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,607 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:44 PM

It's a place for people... A multi use harbour shared with nature, planes, homes, work boats, sail boats, kayaks, motor boats, businesses, taxis, cruise ships, ferries, all moving, servicing, and entertaining locals and tourists alike. It's a cultural hub... But you see it as a boat parking lot? I guess vibrant means different things to different people...

#1695 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:52 PM

It's a place for people... A multi use harbour shared with nature, planes, homes, work boats, sail boats, kayaks, motor boats, businesses, taxis, cruise ships, ferries, all moving, servicing, and entertaining locals and tourists alike.

WTF are you talking about? In what way would the marina NOT be part of a multi use harbour as described?

That small patch of water (yes, it is a small patch compared to the whole bloody harbour) is not regularly used by planes, homes, sail boats, motor boats businesses, taxis, cruise ships, ferries... In fact the sole users of that patch of water are kayakers who will still be able to transit the area after changes were made to the plans to satisfy their concerns. Locals and tourists alike will find the areas more interesting and be able to access new businesses as part of the development.

Seriously, what is wrong with a marina in that location?

• Nparker likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#1696 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:53 PM

A multi use harbour shared with nature, planes, homes, work boats, sail boats, kayaks, motor boats, businesses, taxis, cruise ships, ferries, all moving, servicing, and entertaining locals and tourists alike. 

All of those activities are not hampered by the new marina.  They are all still there.  If anything, it's the float planes (noise, smell, traffic, wake), Clipper and Coho that interfere with all those much more.  Cruise ships do not come in.  Don't forget the amazing visual piece this "parking lot" will be.  Pretty sure all harbour traffic will be gawking as they go past, that's an attraction in and of itself.

• Nparker, tedward and DavidSchell like this

#1697 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,881 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 03:03 PM

The arguments against this marina remind me a lot of the diatribe thrown about by the North Park Naysayers in their attempt to squash the St. Andrew's school redevelopment proposal.

• Mike K., DavidSchell and D.L. like this

#1698 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 688 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 03:27 PM

Pretty sure all harbour traffic will be gawking as they go past, that's an attraction in and of itself.

yes it will draw tourist and locals alike to see the mainy types of yachts mooring there.

Victoria needs to be "Progressive" in its thinking when it comes to tourist attractions and this one tags along for free.

• Nparker likes this

#1699 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,607 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:15 PM

yes it will draw tourist and locals alike to see the mainy types of yachts mooring there.

Victoria needs to be "Progressive" in its thinking when it comes to tourist attractions and this one tags along for free.

The project was for strata slips. So it would be the same boats all the time... Not so active. The concept was far from progressive. It was simply looking at monitoring the asset the easiest way possible. Thankfully there wasn't a market for it. I guess the extremely rich don't want to store their boats in a middle/lower class neighbourhood. My beef is that it is not good architecture. Good architecture looks at context. Progressive would have been a centre for human powered craft. maybe with a Whitehall show room. Gotta be rich to own one of those!  http://whitehallrow.com If it was a great centre for this it would draw activity from locals and tourists renting, launching,storing, taking tours etc. The paddler profile would include money. Active money. I would consider a mega yacht storage facility to be more appropriate for an industrial area... 

Anyway, The new design seems to be addressing some of this. Maybe they will clue into the actual opportunity here especially since the previous owner didn't sell a single slip....

http://www.tripadvis...er_Island_.html

Edited by dasmo, 01 December 2015 - 11:26 PM.

#1700 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,607 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:21 PM

Victoria is blessed with ideal urban paddling opportunities, with everything from tidal currents at the Gorge Rapids, where paddlers can practise their eddy turns in relative safety, to the sheltered waters of Portage Inlet and the commotion of the Inner Harbour. Snaking between dock pilings at low tide to practise manoeuvring my boat, checking out the many yachts and ships from around the world that stop over in the harbour, or grabbing some fish and chips for lunch from the Fisherman’s Wharf are just some of the many other options that keep me going back.

http://www.wavelengt...n_paddling.html

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)