16 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:35 PM

Liquor talk...

Classic:

In the most serious case this year, the Mister Salsa Dine & Dance Place, at Douglas Street and Pandora Avenue, was fined $17,500 for serving too much liquor when it only had a food licence, and for failing to produce documents when asked by inspectors.

Mister Salsa Dine & Dance had a primary food licence, which gave it permission to sell some liquor if the majority of business was food. However, almost no one ordered food, inspectors said.

And now the best part:

When an inspection team arrived just after midnight March 30, the owner and 20 patrons formed a semi-circle and began yelling at them, an inspection report says. Inspectors returned in early April to find the restaurant abandoned. They have since been unable to contact owner Robert Anazco Sanchez.

http://www.canada.co...a5-dcceb90983ef

#2 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 02:55 PM

I heard a local pub was recently fined because the staff were spotted wearing t-shirts with beer logos on them. Is this against liquor regulations?

EDIT: Apparently so:

Dress – Servers must wear clothes and must not combine the act of serving with stripping or exotic dancing. Servers must not wear brand-identified clothing where the size of the advertising is so prominent that it would result in your establishment promoting a specific brand of liquor

Edited by Rob Randall, 02 October 2015 - 03:00 PM.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 03:12 PM

It's a grey area. Spmeone must have been really pushing, after warnings.
  • Rob Randall and Matt R. like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

I'm thinking that's a crazy outdated law because of the inconsistency. On one hand servers can't have a beer logo on their shirt for fear of favouring one brand over another--yet look around the bar and on every surface you'll see (for example) Phillips signs, clocks, chalkboards, beer mats etc. etc.

I guess the bar itself can promote the beer and the server can verbally tell you  it's the preferred beer (Evening folks; tonight. Blue Buck is on special...) but their clothing can't have a prominent logo. Everything else can have a logo but the server's shirt. Weird.

#5 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Flat out idiotic.

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:47 PM

Why is it so difficult to revise these rules? Some of this stuff is absolutely ridiculous.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:54 PM

Sometimes government just needs to say, "who is this law protecting, and protecting from what?"

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:20 PM

Can we no longer look up the decisions

http://www.pssg.gov....force/index.htm

#9 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:24 PM

I messed around, and you can still search them but it's not user friendly.  I didn't find a list.

#10 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 03:31 PM

People who live near Catalyst Paper’s Crofton Mill found their homes, cars, and children’s toys covered in an oily mess this morning.

The company admits it’s responsible, after a mechanical breakdown sprayed residual liquor into the air for about half an hour.  

http://www.cheknews....uid-air-207216/

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 03:49 PM

That's a serious liquor infraction, for sure.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#12 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:06 PM

The Local on Wharf street has a big red sign up on their front door and windows for a violation of the liquor act.

Fine is $7500

Place was empty at lunch today.

#13 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,671 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:35 PM

The Local on Wharf street has a big red sign up on their front door and windows for a violation of the liquor act. 

Fine is $7500

Where are the fine$ and big red $ign$ on the 40 pot dispensaries in the CoV who are in violation of the "Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations"?

#14 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:26 PM

I hear this was for serving a minor, second infraction. Inspectors have been out in full force.

#15 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 530 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:32 PM

Where are the fine$ and big red $ign$ on the 40 pot dispensaries in the CoV who are in violation of the "Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations"?

Oh don't be so naive.  Could it possibly be that the liquor industry isn't controlled by organized crime so it is treated differently?

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:48 PM

Oh don't be so naive.  Could it possibly be that the liquor industry isn't controlled by organized crime so it is treated differently?

It's just that there is no regulatory inspection framework in place for marijuana shops.  A 12-year-old could buy pot there and even if bylaw officers saw it, it would not have any consequences really.

#17 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:44 AM

Canadian Food Inspection Agency
...... Recall details

Ottawa, May 2, 2017 - The Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO) is recalling Bombay Sapphire brand London Dry Gin from the marketplace due to high alcohol content. Consumers should not consume the recalled product described below.

This recall was initiated after the discovery that, during production, one batch was bottled before correct dilution to achieve the stated 40% alcohol content by volume. As a result, the affected batch has alcohol content by volume of 77%.

........ http://www.inspectio...9/1493776863650

I will be offering a free disposal service, PM me.

Had people around me drinking Bombay
Gin last week they did seem surprisingly tipsy.

Potential for unwilling drunk driving.

Edited by todd, 03 May 2017 - 07:58 AM.

• Rob Randall likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users