Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Emaar project | 17- & 11-storeys | Canceled

• Please log in to reply
570 replies to this topic

#21 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:04 AM

thanks for the stats, i was trying to work them out my self just from the plan and counting stories ha. I love stats!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#22 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:17 AM

If they can't split it completely then they need to do something in the way of an Aria-style cut-out.

This sort of massing represents such a short-sighted mindset. It's as if they think this building will be the last one anybody will ever try to build around there. Problem is, eventually somebody will propose something new on the Capitol 6 site. Having this tremendously wide fatscraper right beside them will only encourage them to go the fatscraper route as well. What's the point of slim towers on the Capitol 6 site if there's a gigantic wall right beside them?

I won't be rooting for this one. It's just the wrong proposal for the site. So close and yet so far.

#23 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:19 AM

Parking 0.7 stalls/unit 204
Unit count 203

I think they need to do some better math. 0.7 stalls per unit would be 142 stalls not 204.

If you estimate an average selling cost of 350 000. They will bring in 71 million dollars. This looks like about a 35 - 40 million dollar building guessing on the looks. I think they can afford to go smaller or split it into two buildings. Selling one at a time.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#24 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:20 AM

My guess is that they'll be going for a more affordable market with this one?

#25 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:22 AM

If they can't split it completely then they need to do something in the way of an Aria-style cut-out.

I think this is the most likely way they are going to get approval since they might not want to consider the 2 building idea. The building would look nicer too

It has a whole new look!

#26 DelsterX

DelsterX
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:07 PM

If you go the two tower route, not only do you lose a large amount of density, you also need two elevators, lobbies etc. which drastically affects the budget.

You could share a lobby between both towers with a podium. By code won't you need two elevators anyway?

#27 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:35 PM

There are two sets of elevators already accordingly to that floor plan.

It has a whole new look!

#28 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:44 PM

Ah, I see that! Three in all.

Hmmmm...
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#29 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:09 PM

How about a glass section linking the two buildings? Would that make any sense at all? Probably not.

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:11 PM

If you go the two tower route, not only do you lose a large amount of density, you also need two elevators, lobbies etc. which drastically affects the budget.

You could share a lobby between both towers with a podium. By code won't you need two elevators anyway?

Good call.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#31 hungryryno

hungryryno
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:52 AM

How letting them go even higher (making sure the building is split in two of course)... If you look at the Downtown Core from Songhees area all you see is a wall of mid-rises... Even though the Astoria is the tallest in the core it is set down in the Humboldt Valley so it evens out with everything around. Let the Capitol 6 developer build to towers of different hieght... maybe 29 and 23. This would start to give our Downtown a peaked cityscape. What are we afraid of??? What is Vic City Council afraid of??? If Victoria does not wake up the westshore will become the place to live, the place to work, the place to shop, the place to go.... if it hasnt' allready. :)

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:34 AM

Precisely.

Hungryryno, the best course of action is to contact council and express your views on the matter and if you have time appear at public meetings for the project in which you can state your views and opinions.

Your point of view is shared by the silent majority and its time development in this city reflects it!

If you're interested in contacting council, you can do so through http://www.victoria....all/mayor.shtml

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#33 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 12:02 PM

yes, join the club!! :) Also it's important to contact the planners too.

Council has been quite happy with our input, Well not all of them....but some of them!!! :-D

#34 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 12:35 PM

This would start to give our Downtown a peaked cityscape. What are we afraid of??

I think some people are afraid of giving downtown a peaked cityscape.

#35 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 01:52 PM

Langford isn't afraid to give it's mountian tops a city scape!

#36 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 01:53 PM

hmmmm Maybe I should change my name to....City Scaper!!!

#37 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:02 PM

These remaining lots definitely have View Towers potential, which is very dangerous. We must be cautious.

#38 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:14 PM

You missed the one right next door to View Towers. But this this does illustrate just how much space ther is here for development still. And we are even talking about the 1000 block of Harris Green yet.

It has a whole new look!

#39 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:42 PM

These remaining lots definitely have View Towers potential, which is very dangerous. We must be cautious.

Excellent illustration.

Clockwise from left, you have: the Capitol 6 parking lot (proposal underway), Sugar nightclub parking lot (proposal underway), McCalls parking lot, and Lunds Auction parking lot.

There's another prime potential site: to the immediate east of the Lunds lot, if you consolidate Edwards Welding and the Chrysler storage lot and the bottle depot you get a very wide lot which will be very desirable once the View/Vancouver intersection is remediated.

Then of course, you have the View/Vancouver project itself which will be a fatscraper if the tenants in the neighbouring Regents Towers get their way.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#40 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:45 PM

There is also the View and Vancouver lot.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users