Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Emaar project | 17- & 11-storeys | Canceled

• Please log in to reply
570 replies to this topic

#521 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:26 AM

Yes, I meant in the developed world. China is rapidly changing from an agrarian to industrial economy and they will be building at a torrid pace for quite a while I expect.

#522 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:11 AM

Look to China, Chongqing in particular.
It is estimated that new construction in Chongqing adds about 140,000 square metres of usable floor space each day for residential, commercial or industrial use...
London Daily Telegraph, July 2009

2009 GDP for the city was $95 billion.
In 2010, the city's developers sold 243,071 homes with a turnover of more than 1.3trillion yuan (CDN$192 billion).

You can't compare to China, where the government can pretty much say "ok, our economy is growing X% this year, go."

#523 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:43 PM

Downtown condo site on the block

Dubai company abandons plan for parking lot next to theatre - http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1HSfn8HbF

#524 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:41 PM

A Chard-style building would be good there.

A Chard-style building would be good pretty much anywhere east of Douglas.

#525 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:55 PM

Dubai company abandons plan for parking lot next to theatre - http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1HSfn8HbF

I notice that a local has responded to the article with that old gem "I don't want to see downtown Victoria turned into the west end of Vancouver". Can we please move on from this attitude once and for all?

#526 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:09 PM

I don't want to see James Bay turn into downtown Victoria. I also don't want to see Kerrisdale turn into downtown Vancouver. Or downtown Victoria turn into Esquimalt. Or downtown Vancouver turn into Metrotown. Or Sidney turn into Vic West. Or Cadboro Bay turn into Brentwood Bay.

So it's a valid point, when you really think about it...

#527 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:10 PM

I hate this parking lot as well as the one across Yates. These lots are perfect spots for towers.

NParker, I generally wouldn't put too much stock into what somebody named 'Lancelot Blackburne' has to say, but unfortunately the fear around building height is an epidemic around here.

#528 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:59 PM

I don't want to see James Bay turn into downtown Victoria. I also don't want to see Kerrisdale turn into downtown Vancouver. Or downtown Victoria turn into Esquimalt. Or downtown Vancouver turn into Metrotown. Or Sidney turn into Vic West. Or Cadboro Bay turn into Brentwood Bay.

Well said, my friend!
Pieta VanDyke

#529 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:17 PM

But OB will always be OB:p

#530 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:19 PM

The For Sale sign on this lot now says Sold.

#531 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:15 PM

Any info on who may be the buyer?

Can you remember who brokered the sale, jonny?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#532 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:45 AM

I believe it was listed through Colliers.

#533 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:23 PM

You're right Kapten Kapsell, it was Colliers.

I have no idea who the buyer is though. Hopefully it's not somebody who just wants to hold onto it and is actually looking at developing this lot. This is another one of those prime locations that is occupied by a parking lot.

#534 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:36 PM

Since Chard began developing projects in Victoria he's had one project u/c, one in pre-sales, one in planning and a property purchase pending or completed.

The timing would seem right for Chard to start looking for an additional property if indeed he is interested in maintaining his momentum. With Sovereign now in pre-sales and u/c, this leaves us with Michigan Street, and then...?

I'm not saying Chard is behind the purchase of this property and I'm certainly not trying to start a rumour, but wouldn't it be great if he was indeed the buyer?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#535 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:45 PM

I'm not saying Chard is behind the purchase of this property and I'm certainly not trying to start a rumour, but wouldn't it be great if he was indeed the buyer?

I would say perfect, not great! As far as I'm concerned, I could easily handle 20 more Chard buildings downtown!

It's also right in 'his' neighbourhood with the Juliet and 834 nearby.

There are a handful of 'core' downtown sites that I think are in desperate need of development. This parking lot is one of them. The lot across Yates St, the Era site and the lot on Broughton near Japanese Village are a couple of others.

#536 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:55 PM

Funny, when I spoke with G-man he had the idea of this lot being a potential Chard property and also likened the location to being within Chard's area of focus.

Oh oh, this is how rumours get started... :)

Know it all.

#537 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:23 PM

The listing broker was Michael Miller.

Perhaps the lot will be bought by Westbank now that the Falls has finally sold out; they certainly wouldn't face the controversy they've faced at Crystal Court as the zoning for the Yates Street site is already in place. ;)

#538 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:25 PM

Kapten, were you a fly on the wall in a certain meeting? :)

Know it all.

#539 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:06 PM

Mike,

I haven't been involved in any meetings lately. Is Westbank indeed the purchaser? ;)

#540 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:32 PM

Ah ok ok, I don't think anybody around here knows. I can find out if it was Westbank and I'll be sending a message along shortly to a contact at the company.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users