Photo

The Victoria Economy Thread

• Please log in to reply
1026 replies to this topic

#541 LJ

LJ
  • 12,773 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:46 PM

The Chinese banned their major shareholders from selling their stock for six months last July. This was supposed to let the market solidify and investors gain confidence in it. It didn't work, now all the major shareholders are divesting as fast as they can. There will be bottom feeders come out of the woodwork and buy up these stocks at bargain prices and the market will stabilize again, and start working it's way back up.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#542 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,688 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:55 PM

That's if the Chinese government doesn't simply assume the wealth of anyone trying to stir the pot. Fortunes have been siezed by the Chinese government in the past and that fear permeates among the country's wealthier citizens. Getting as much money out of China as fast as possible will be priority #1 for all Chinese with any meaningful assets, which means the government may ban foreign investment, which means this could have severe near-term consequences for markets like Vancouver. Am I out on a limb here?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#543 LJ

LJ
  • 12,773 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:56 PM

The rich will find a way to move their money to safer locales if it is required.

#544 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,688 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:06 PM

So we might see a mass exodus of wealth over the next month or two? Won't the Chinese fed want to prevent that?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#545 LJ

LJ
  • 12,773 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:14 PM

I think you will see a quiet exodus in the near future.

#546 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:57 PM

I think you will see a quiet exodus in the near future.

Right.  If you happen to be over there, don't walk under any tall financial buildings.

#547 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:23 AM

Charlie Rose had a great panel discussion regarding the recent situation in China which may shed some light for all of us. http://www.charliero.../watch/60670705  

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#548 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:44 PM

So we might see a mass exodus of wealth over the next month or two? Won't the Chinese fed want to prevent that?

Honestly I think the money that was leaving has already left. To support housing in Vancouver and Toronto you need a continued supply of money and that is what led to my comment about those markets being at risk.

#549 timw11

timw11
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:31 PM

Take a company like TC-Helicon. It sells it's products in USD, but pays rent, salaries etc in CAN dollars. It's a good thing for them. They aren't losing employees to US firms because their people are paid well enough and want to live in the shire. If they move to the US the exchange means nothing because their bills are in USD then so I don't get that argument.... What about the game and app dev firms whjo have US customers or Meta Labs who owns pixel union the number one Tumbler theme maker. They sell their themes in USD... etc etc....

Just MetaLab, thanks :-) 

#550 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,647 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:41 AM

Just MetaLab, thanks :-)

Sorry bout that... MetaLab it is.

#551 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 12:06 PM

I'm not really sure where this belongs, but I'm not sure anyone posted it here:

Vancouver's boom spurs Victoria commercial renaissance
Victoria’s Upper Fort Street is going through a commercial renaissance that local businesspeople and real estate experts say is linked to the skyrocketing cost of commercial and residential real estate in Metro Vancouver.

Located on the edge of Victoria’s downtown core, upper Fort Street had long been associated more with antique auction houses and dealers than with interesting places to eat and shop. But that’s now changing, said Suzanne Bradbury, the co-owner of Fort Properties and co-chair of the Fort Street Business District.

http://vancouversun....ial-renaissance

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#552 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:54 AM

BOOM!

The Independent Contractors and Businesses Association is launching a social media campaign to attract construction workers for major projects on Vancouver Island.

Workers are being asked to submit resumés to the association’s website at www.icba.ca

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.OeCs1AyE.dpuf

#553 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:55 AM

Meanwhile, $191,000 in provincial funding is going to the B.C. Funeral Association to train 63 people in the funeral and embalmer sector.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.OeCs1AyE.dpuf

#554 LJ

LJ
  • 12,773 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:36 PM

^People are dying to get into that trade. 

#555 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,517 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 August 2016 - 08:22 PM

It's a dead-end job with a future!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#556 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 08:35 PM

But you get to do all the work while everyone else just lays around.

#557 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:03 PM

Where will it be based ? the dead centre of town ?

#558 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:27 PM

Post Antiques Row?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#559 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,688 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:33 PM

Victoria-is-Canada's-third-wealthiest-city.jpg

Victoria's majestic beauty and mild winters have drawn plenty of affluent residents from across Canada and the world, but now, thanks to high-rising real-estate prices, average Victorians are considered some of Canada's wealthiest residents. Citified.ca

Victoria's population the third wealthiest in Canada: report

http://victoria.citi...-canada-report/

BC’s capital has clenched third place on the podium of Canada’s wealthiest metropolitan areas, according to a report published by Toronto-based Environics Analytics.

Joining Canada’s stalwarts of riches – Vancouver and Toronto – Victoria has officially displaced Calgary as the (formerly) entrenched third most fabulously wealthy region in the country. [Full article]

Know it all.

#560 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 748 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 05:22 PM

I wonder what they include in household wealth.  They include house value, but do they also include present value of workplace pension plans?  Since Victoria has a large portion of people that have some type of Defined Benefit Pension plan, it's easy to have a large net worth if you include this.  

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users