Victoria Construction Rumour Thread + Info on Projects With No Dedicated Thread

• Please log in to reply
3804 replies to this topic

#3061 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 11:16 AM

I was walking down Cook a couple of weeks ago, and I thought I saw some equipment just down Meares. Have they already started building something there?

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#3062 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 11:22 AM

Yes, it’s this: https://victoria.cit...-meares-street/

You can always search Citified with a street name. It will show all active projects long that street.
  • Kapten Kapsell and Hotel Mike like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3063 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 02:49 PM

The townhouses proposed for 1514 - 1520 Foul Bay Rd have been redesigned and unit count has been reduced from 8 units to 5 units (each with an accessory in-law suite).

foulbay.jpg

• qv and newbie_01 like this

#3064 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 01:40 PM

No images yet, but a condo building is being proposed to replace the 3 houses at 1733-1737 Fairfield Road.

I wonder if this is an Aryze project, given the proximity to their office etc ...?

• Mike K. and newbie_01 like this

#3065 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 02:10 PM

...a condo building is being proposed to replace the 3 houses at 1733-1737 Fairfield Road...

fairfield.png

fairfield2.png

#3066 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 02:20 PM

^ I am sure that will go over well with the community.

• Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3067 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 04:53 PM

No images yet, but a condo building is being proposed to replace the 3 houses at 1733-1737 Fairfield Road.

I wonder if this is an Aryze project, given the proximity to their office etc ...?

:banana:

#3068 punk cannonballer

punk cannonballer
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 10:34 AM

Total assessed land value there is about $3m and total improvements about $700k. Fits into the 1:4 ratio for traditional redevelopment potential, but only just. You can find better. I wonder what the story is.

#3069 corvus

corvus
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 11:06 AM

My suspicion would be favourable planning docs. The Fairfield neighbourhood plan was revised recently, yeah?

#3070 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 01:45 PM

Amica would like to redevelop its property at 50 Douglas Street (originally built in the 1960s as a hotel and nearing end-of-life) with an 8 storey building for memory-impaired and independent senior living.

Here are some images of the proposed building :

An official rezoning request has been filed for this James Bay site.  Amica would like to retain the heritage house on the site and the new development would be 8 stories with unit count increasing from 102 to 200 units.

Rezoning letter:  https://tender.victo...215094041621090

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 15 February 2022 - 01:46 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#3071 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 01:46 PM

Their plans received a very rocky reception at the James Bay Neighbourhood Assn monthly meeting.

#3072 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 01:48 PM

Their plans received a very rocky reception at the James Bay Neighbourhood Assn monthly meeting.

What was the main objection ...?

#3073 punk cannonballer

punk cannonballer
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 02:11 PM

Change in any form, I'll bet.

#3074 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 02:14 PM

Maybe a little bit of dancing at the James Bay Inn will relieve some anti-development tension.
  • Matt R. and punk cannonballer like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3075 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 02:15 PM

"Too tall, not enough parking; right project, wrong location". This is of course a quote from the first chapter of the So You Want to be a NIMBY Handbook, published by your local neighbourhood association press.

• DavidSchell and qv like this

#3076 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 02:22 PM

^ sounds like your comedy writing second career budding at the right time.
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

#3077 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 11:06 AM

Nparker pretty much covers it. The repeated feeling was that the scope of the project is not in keeping with the neighbourhood.

#3078 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 11:09 AM

I have yet to hear a NIMBY say anything truly original in their condemnation of development proposals in over 20 years.

#3079 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 04:36 PM

Aryze’s townhouse project in the 900 block of Foul Bay Road is going to CotW on Thursday Feb 24; staff recommend sending it to a public hearing.

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 24 February 2022 - 01:32 PM.

#3080 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 04:41 PM

Near the border between Oak Bay and Victoria, on a busy Foul Bay Road, a 100-year-old mansion sits in a sprawling, well-worn yard. Inside, tenants live in what they describe as “decaying Edwardian splendour” beneath high ceilings and Tudor revival-style architecture.

The Lawson residence, known to its tenants as “The Chateau Dome,” won’t be there for long. The building will be just a few metres away, moved off its current foundations to accommodate more buildings on the huge lot.

It’s not hard to see the property’s development potential: it occupies nearly an acre of prime urban land, and the house is a little long in the tooth. So, when Stacey Dewhurst bought the house in 2016 and moved a group of young people in as tenants, everyone knew it was going to be a short-term arrangement.

For six years now the tenants have lived under that particular Sword of Damocles, waiting for redevelopment and hoping to renew their year-long lease. 

The Chateau Dome has become an affordable safe harbour in an increasingly hostile housing market, giving a leg up to more than a dozen young people looking for affordable housing. Though the paint is chipping, the couch on the front foyer is damp, and coffee tins overflow with cigarette butts, the mansion is a place that students, tree planters, young professionals, and others who are routinely priced out of Victoria can call home.

Kiefer Aland has lived at the Chateau Dome since just about the beginning, and accepted that his housing could be pulled out from under him at any time.

“Each person that lives here is often trying to get to the next stepping stone before the development happens,” Aland said.

https://www.capitald...ecrease-density

While the house can comfortably fit eight people, Dewhurst says he knows it’s even more densely occupied than that. “You go through the house, and every nook and cranny has got a mattress in it,” he says.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 February 2022 - 04:43 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users