Victoria Construction Rumour Thread + Info on Projects With No Dedicated Thread

• Please log in to reply
3806 replies to this topic

#3361 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,814 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 07:42 PM

It looks like Aryze has postponed the Seven project at 931 McClure Street. It was a good adaptation for the site, I thought. Maybe the future design will be zero-car or with less parking. Here is the project profile: https://victoria.cit...seven-by-aryze/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3362 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,029 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 07:45 PM

No great loss. It was kind of ugly especially with all those stairs front and centre.

#3363 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,029 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 11:25 PM

I found this Hartwig Industries proposal for LoJo on the CoV development tracker. I don't recall having seen it discussed elsewhere on VV. If it has, mods, please combine this with any existing thread.

current:

579 Johnson.png

proposed:
579 Johnson proposed.png

Most recent plans (March 2022) here: https://tender.victo...207135309337203

• Mike K. likes this

#3364 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 12 January 2023 - 10:10 AM

Nparker, great find. This one had eluded us, it looks like!

The design has shifted somewhat since March, with a new iteration up for April. The design is a little cleaner. It's quite impressive what they plan to do here.

LoJo development proposal could deliver biggest architectural change to 500-block of Johnson in generations

https://victoria.cit...in-generations/

• Nparker and Ismo07 like this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3365 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,029 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 10:14 AM

Current rendering.

Shotbolt-C2.jpg

#3366 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,583 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 10:22 AM

It's alright.  What's so special about the alley?

#3367 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,814 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 10:28 AM

I guess it's just a neat feature. And it also allows the public to access the commercial units that will be situated back there.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#3368 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,196 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 10:56 PM

I’d live down there for sure. Had a friend who lived at the paper box arcade, great spot.

#3369 BikeLaneLover

BikeLaneLover
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 12:26 AM

Lower Johnson St is one of THE most intact historical streetscapes in the entire city and I feel like an ultra modern design is really a disservice to this part of downtown. In a perfect world, Hartwig Industries would work with city archives and receive a grant to reconstruct the original amazingly beautiful ornate facade to actually add to the historical fabric of the street, then do a set-back 5 storey addition in the rear with their ultramodern lofts. I don’t care what developers do behind the street frontage, but we all have to look at this building for years to come. Why not restore what was there before? I can tell you right now the current design ain’t gonna age well.

Attached Images

• E223AE07-FF6B-434C-B91C-A52D752BA1AD.jpeg

Edited by BikeLaneLover, 13 January 2023 - 12:33 AM.

• aastra likes this

#3370 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,029 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 07:40 AM

No more fake historicism, please. We have more than enough with the Bay Centre. There is no reason why good contemporary architecture can't exist side-by-side with historic buildings. The key is getting the massing and scale correct and of course using quality finishing materials.
  • Matt R. likes this

#3371 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,814 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 08:22 AM

Council approved this last night:

Floating Nordic-style sauna facility proposed for Victoria's Inner Harbour
https://victoria.cit...bour/?term=Havn
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#3372 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,658 posts
  • LocationEsquimalt

Posted 13 January 2023 - 09:45 AM

God that looks so out of place there; Upper harbor perhaps might have been a better location. Maybe.

Since it looks suspiciously like a certain vessel of biblical fame can we resort to unofficially calling it Noah's Tub n'Scrub?

• Nparker likes this

#3373 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,019 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 09:48 AM

It looks like Aryze has postponed the Seven project at 931 McClure Street. It was a good adaptation for the site, I thought. Maybe the future design will be zero-car or with less parking. Here is the project profile: https://victoria.cit...seven-by-aryze/

Lots of stuff being postponed. Must be really tough for the smaller developers that lack financial resources to back their own projects and are now faced with money at 10%+ if they need to borrow it.

#3374 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,019 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 09:50 AM

Council approved this last night:

Floating Nordic-style sauna facility proposed for Victoria's Inner Harbour
https://victoria.cit...bour/?term=Havn

Has the company submitting the proposal actually ever built or operated anything similar in the past? I couldn't find anything.

#3375 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,814 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 10:08 AM

Yeah, I’m not familiar with what they’ve done in the last.

The barge is currently under construction at Ogden Point.

Know it all.

#3376 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,583 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 10:13 AM

Sounds fine to me, can't be anything worse that nothing.  If it fails it just gets towed away.

Wasn't it supposed to suck in salt water though?

EDIT:

“Not only is the space itself designed to encompass sweeping views of the Inner Harbour’s most iconic sites, but filtered and recirculated seawater features on board allow patrons to connect and engage directly with the Pacific Ocean.”

Connect and directly engage with the Pacific Ocean.  Aren't we already doing that locally?

screenshot-vibrantvictoria.ca-2023.01.13-09_33_45.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 January 2023 - 10:15 AM.

• aastra and Matt R. like this

#3377 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,029 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 10:18 AM

... If WHEN it fails it just gets towed away....

Hopefully, it won't take as long as the Undersea Gardens or the V2V vessel to disappear from the Inner Harbour.

#3378 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,658 posts
  • LocationEsquimalt

Posted 13 January 2023 - 10:19 AM

Awesome. Sydney has an iconic world famous opera house on their primary 'front door' marine/waterfront. Other global centers generally feature either world class architecture or cultural structures of world historical import and significance. We came up with a glorified hot tub mounted on a barge. Victoria....we're so.....VISIONARY. Or not.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#3379 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,814 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 10:23 AM

We've just a small city, and act accordingly.

Know it all.

#3380 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,583 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 10:52 AM

screenshot-twitter.com-2023.01.13-13_51_37.png

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users