BUILT
Hudson Walk Two
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 755 Caledonia Ave
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 15
Hudson Walk Two is a 15-storey mixed-use rental tower with a commercial ground floor. The building is situated... (view full profile)
Learn more about Hudson Walk Two on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Hudson Walk | Rentals; commercial | Phase 1: 16-storeys | Built - completed in 2016 | Phase 2: 15-storeys | Built - completed in 2017

Office Commercial Rental

• Please log in to reply
1266 replies to this topic

#1141 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:18 AM

Notices were not delivered to the 178-units of rental apartments within Hudson Walk One. I think the City of Victoria botched the public notice component of this meeting. The theory is notices were only delivered to strata properties and businesses.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1142 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,863 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:35 AM

...I was somewhat surprised at the low turnout...

I had wanted to go, but my need for dinner superseded my need for community involvement. This dilemma could have been avoided of course, if there was say, a brew bub or other food establishment somewhere at Hudson Walk. Talk about your "Catch 22's"!

#1143 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:36 AM

Oh, and one bit of info, the zoning already permits a restaurant or pub to operate out of that space, so the brewery component is really what's at stake here, not whether a pub can locate there.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1144 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:03 AM

I was noticing Brown's Social House at Uptown the other day and how noisy their enclosed patio is. Future Uptown residents will hear it.

Well, it’s a rental building and Townline is the landlord. Not sure what the issue is here. If the tenants don’t like the idea of a brewpub down below they don’t have to fill out a rental application. There really aren’t any neighbours to piss off. I’m not sure the car audio place or the used car lot will mind a bit of noise at 12am.

This part of town is really devoid of life most of the time and is need of a spark in terms a gathering place. A brewpub is just what the doctor ordered.

I don’t know that Canoe is particularly noisy. Certainly more noisy than *nothing* I suppose.

• Nparker likes this

#1145 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,636 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:16 PM

Townline (on behalf of the mystery pub tenants) is asking for a few things to make the Hudson Walk pub a realiity. 

One is permission to glass in some of the patio. Enclosing an outdoor spaces increases the size of a building so that would push the tower over the allowed floor space ratio. Not by much, but permission must be granted. 

The other is a manufacturing license to make alcohol on premises. It will be a brewpub similar to Spinnakers or Canoe, the only difference is this pub will be at the base of a residential tower.

One issue will be exiting--how noisy the departing patrons will be. The Strath is chaos but I suspect this pub will be more like the Beagle on Cook Street. That one's not too bad, correct?

I was somewhat surprised at the low turnout considering how many people live at Hudson and how a pub would affect them.

I was noticing Brown's Social House at Uptown the other day and how noisy their enclosed patio is. Future Uptown residents will hear it.

Correct; I lived down the block right at Fairfield/Cook for seven years and it was fine. Except for those nights when my friends and I were leaving that pub, which typically led to chaos, police action and a general breakdown of social order. Otherwise it was very rarely if ever an issue. It tended (then, and I presume still does today) to cater to an older demographic than many other pubs.

• Nparker likes this

#1146 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:20 PM

The comparisons to Strath noise are certainly not right.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1147 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:40 PM

^I was trying to think of neighbourhood pubs with an older demographic and nearby residential. Maude Hunters or Smuggler's Cove in Saanich, maybe. It might bring in more of a younger crowd with the arena events nearby.

Any rumours on who the operator will be?

#1148 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:50 PM

^I was trying to think of neighbourhood pubs with an older demographic and nearby residential. Maude Hunters or Smuggler's Cove in Saanich, maybe. It might bring in more of a younger crowd with the arena events nearby.

Yes, that's true.  It'll be a go-to place before and after arena events.  That said, there are only a handful of Motley Crues or Ozzy whows compared to a steady stream of Royals games, Start on Ice and Blue Rodeo.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1149 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:03 PM

I heard it's Duncan Morrison.

J/k. :)

Know it all.

#1150 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:15 PM

It might make sense for it to be Canoe/Truffles.  They have money and experience.

• Rob Randall likes this

#1151 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:21 PM

It might make sense for it to be Canoe/Truffles.  They have money and experience.

True. However they tend to be better at the venue location/experience aspect than producing great beer.

#1152 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:28 PM

True. However they tend to be better at the venue location/experience aspect than producing great beer.

Of note:  This new venue has no plans to sell into liquor stores or other pubs.  But they'd like to sell bottles and growler refills etc.

#1153 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,863 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:31 PM

Of note:  This new venue has no plans to sell into liquor stores or other pubs.  But they'd lie to sell bottles and growler refills etc.

It's a shame they don't feel they can be truthful about this.  ;)

• VicHockeyFan and Rob Randall like this

#1154 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,807 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:05 PM

No one had any issues with Overtime across the street did they?
  • thundergun likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1155 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:07 PM

This one is a fair bit bigger, to say the least.  Over 300 seats total with patios.

#1156 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,863 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:09 PM

I bet many people have forgotten that establishment ever existed.

#1157 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:54 PM

When did the place close? Where was it?

Know it all.

#1158 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:59 PM

When did the place close? Where was it?

Where the car dealer is.  It was a JV between the Courtnall Bros. and John Cantin from John's.  Prior to that it was a "Donut Maid".

They also owned an Overtime outside of BC Place too.

#1159 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:15 PM

Wow. I had no idea. I only remember the shack that was there.

Know it all.

#1160 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,807 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:20 PM

And one in Colwood too right? Overtime II?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users