Who Should Run? | Victoria | Mayor

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:20 AM

Given the three people in the race, I am not impressed with my choice in November.

I am once again thinking about who should be running for mayor. Anyone out there have some good ideas?

I have some ideas of my own, but I will keep them to myself, sort of, for a few days.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:38 AM

Chris Coleman

#3 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:42 AM

OK, he is my number one choice

#4 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:42 AM

I've been put off a bit by Chris in the past, but it's all just part of being a politician. I'd vote for him if it came down to it though.

#5 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:37 PM

From Carolyn Heiman, in today's T-C:

Two more join race for Victoria mayor's seat
Mayoralty candidates now number five
Carolyn Heiman, Times Colonist

Published: Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The number of candidates running for Victoria mayor is up to five.

This week, two more persons announced plans to seek the seat, joining Coun. Dean Fortin who announced in June he wanted to replace the out-going Mayor Alan Lowe. (...)

Georgia-Ann Jones is making a second attempt for the post. She could not be reached for an interview but said in a printed statement she wants every living tree in the city protected. (...)

Jones joins mayoralty candidate John C. Turner in promising to take a salary cut for the job. She said she'd devote half of the mayor's salary -- which will be $97,760 in 2009 -- to fix people's teeth.

Turner meanwhile said he would only accept a $500 wage per month as well as a business budget of $1,000 per month.

[There's more from the fringe, click through to read.]
(...)
Councillors Charlayne Thornton-Joe and Chris Coleman are both rumoured to want the mayor's seat but both are unlikely to make a bid with one or the other bowing out.

Candidates can't file nomination papers until Sept. 30 and have until 4 p.m. on Oct. 10 to do so.

IIRC, Georgia-Ann Jones went on and on about battery fluids leaking into the Hartland landfill -- that was the only issue for the candidate I'm recalling from 3 years ago. Haven't heard of the other guy.

Seriously, I'm all for participatory democracy and getting involved, but why do we need more folks from the ...excuse me, I have to say it: fringe, who have no conventional experience whatsoever in running a city or a big administrated body, haven't sat on council at all but think they can helicopter into the mayor's seat just like that, and appear to believe that the city can be run on cereal box tops and bottle returns or something similarly minuscule?

Interesting bit about Chris Coleman and/ or Charlayne Thornton-Joe possibly being in the running still, if they can figure out which one of them should go for it.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:19 PM

^ Each and every time I read that second-to-last paragraph or the article, the last bit does not make sense.

Anyway, I'm all for the candidate that will fix teeth with extra money. Finally I have a place to park my vote.

#7 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:32 PM

This bit, right?

Councillors Charlayne Thornton-Joe and Chris Coleman are both rumoured to want the mayor's seat but both are unlikely to make a bid with one or the other bowing out.

I agree it's weirdly worded. What it means (I think) is this:

Councillors Charlayne Thornton-Joe and Chris Coleman are both rumoured to want the mayor's seat but both are unlikely to make a bid until one or the other bows out officially, as this will clear the field for the remaining candidate.

That way they will avoid splitting the vote, which would be my concern if I were either one of them.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#8 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:53 PM

Ms. B.

No doubt you are right.

The problem is that the business community wants somebody who will shut up and do as they are told (like Alan started out) and not waste time with stupid things like harm prevention, homelessness, and affordable living!

I don't think that Charlayne fits that bill (as it appears as though she has at least some level of integrity and compassion) and Chris Coleman has too much baggage. I think what Charlayne and Chris are waiting for then is to see whether or not the business sector actually finds someone dumb enough to run before they toss their hats in the ring.

#9 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:29 PM

The problem is that the business community wants somebody who will shut up and do as they are told (like Alan started out) and not waste time with stupid things like harm prevention, homelessness, and affordable living!

I think what Charlayne and Chris are waiting for then is to see whether or not the business sector actually finds someone dumb enough to run before they toss their hats in the ring.

HMMM, bit of a conspiracy theorist are you?

I think the business community wants a mayor that will bring life back to a decaying city, that will actually do something to help reduce crime and help the real homeless and addicted. I dont see anything wrong with that.

#10 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:38 PM

That is an interesting bit of read.

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:10 PM

Ms. B.

No doubt you are right.

I don't think that Charlayne fits that bill (as it appears as though she has at least some level of integrity and compassion) and Chris Coleman has too much baggage. I think what Charlayne and Chris are waiting for then is to see whether or not the business sector actually finds someone dumb enough to run before they toss their hats in the ring.

I think you are right, but I'm worried about name recognition and business contacts for these two. Charlayne was a waitress or server last time I knew, and Chris is a marketing guy for a restaurant, albeit the biggest of it's chain. I need a high-powered lawyer (that is liked) or such.

#12 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:12 AM

Is Matt McNeil still dodging the bullet?

#13 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:30 AM

Is Matt McNeil still dodging the bullet?

From what I've heard, Matt MacNeil won't run.

#14 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:04 AM

VHF,

Charlayne was a server at the Dunsmuir Lodge.

The "business community" put together a slate years ago of people that they thought would push forward their agenda. The problem was that not all of them were elected and so we wound up with a split (left / right) council.

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,780 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:21 AM

....and so we wound up with a split (left / right) council.

Isn't this the heathiest type of government; where no one ideology dominates the agenda?

#16 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:26 AM

We should try to get some star power in the Mayor's office. It has done wonders for California. How about Pam Anderson or Nelly Furtado?

Or one of the Courtnall Brothers now that would be cool.

#17 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:29 AM

We should try to get some star power in the Mayor's office. It has done wonders for California. How about Pam Anderson or Nelly Furtado?

Or one of the Courtnall Brothers now that would be cool.

I vote Nelly Furtado for Mayor, don't care what her platform is, she's got the job :P I'll be her personal assistant, to hell with this crane business

#18 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:32 PM

HMMM, bit of a conspiracy theorist are you?

I think the business community wants a mayor that will bring life back to a decaying city, that will actually do something to help reduce crime and help the real homeless and addicted. I dont see anything wrong with that.

I use the term "business community" tongue and cheek. We are not talking about the ma and pa business owner downtown.

What they want are crime reduced and the city cleaned up but not by bettering the lives of those impacted!

#19 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:04 PM

I think there are business people who want to see a socially healthy city.

#20 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:32 AM

I think there are business people who want to see a socially healthy city.

No doubt but the ones who decide who the next mayor will be are more concerned about getting their properties rezoned and developed and having their pet arts and community projects moved forward.

Now before you jump all over me about who decides who the mayor is, it is no different in any level of Canadian Government. Sure the voters get to choose between a few candidates, but it is a much smaller group of people who decide who the candidates are!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users