Who Should Run? | Victoria | Mayor

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 Concerned Citizens

Concerned Citizens
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 03:29 PM

CCC

Bernard, with all due respect, I understand perfectly well that the most important thing that councillors do is to vote in the public interest in open (not 'in camera' or secret) public meetings at City Hall.

It's called accountable democracy and is the only method with which I am familiar whereby citizens have any hope of knowing what councillors are doing. Hopefully, a vigilant impartial media will report on such meetings for those of us who for various personal or family reasons cannot attend.

Once we understand from these media reports what the voting behaviour of the councillors is actually like, we can then make our own discernments as to whether to re-elect or turf them.

As for the myth of non-partisan councils 'ideally' heading toward consensus, it is just that, a myth, and nothing more, perpetuated by Liberals to maintain the decadent status quo.

- Hartnell

CCC

#42 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:48 PM

CCC

Councillors Chandler, Madoff and Young are known to occasionally dissent from the prevailing Liberal orthodoxy on the current Victoria City Council. How do I know this? I read the newspapers, and note with interest the rare occasions when these worthies do assert some sort of independence of thought and action.

For example, with respect to the 'Cross Town Plan' enabling 24 storey towers to be built along Douglas and Yates Streets, the Council voted unanimously in favour. Even a single dissenting vote would be noticed by any careful reader.

Similarly for the issues of the arena, annual tax hikes, and of Council's non-action in protective zoning with respect to the proposed siting of the needle dispensary, no dissenting voices were reported in any media, as far as I am aware. Mr. Young did have an op-ed questioning the wisdom of a so-called 'safe injection site' printed in the T-C, however, some months ago, as I recall.

As for Ben Isitt's record of attendance at Victoria City Council meetings, I recall Alan Lowe trying to make hay of this irrelevant matter in the last election campaign, but these matters have nothing at all to do with CCC members keeping ourselves well informed through the usual media outlets.

Please cite for us a single instance where Messers Fortin and Coleman voted at variance with each other. I expect that one would have a difficult time doing so.

- Hartnell
CCC

Another classic case that all you do is complain about others, but offer no insight on how you will do a better job.

#43 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:57 PM

Meh, well, you and I will just have to agree to disagree here:

How do I know this? I read the newspapers...

'cause if you think that reading the newspapers gives you an accurate picture, ...well, that's your opinion, but it sure differs from mine.

I have been at CotW meetings and/or Council hearings and have marveled, absolutely marveled, at how different the newspaper accounts were from what I saw and heard at City Hall.

Frankly, I think it's scary that someone proposes to run a city based on second-hand information, vs. going downtown to see for themselves.

It can only mean that you've made up your mind beforehand.

I'd prefer someone with an open mind.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#44 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:10 PM

Obviously Gregory, you and I fundamentally disagree about what the function of an elected official. To me it is all about good governance which is a very long and detailed process that only sometimes comes to fruition with a vote.

How a councilor votes is a triviality, what is important is how they came to the decision for how they voted.

A city is governed best when a council can work as a team - even when people come from different political view points. Being able to come to an agreement as a council when you have NDP, Greens, Liberals and maybe even a Conservative on it is a mark of a mature, open and responsible council trying to put aside ideology in favour of what is good for the city.

As to the Cross Town Plan - seems to be me like it makes a lot of sense.

Bernard

#45 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:30 AM

All you have to do is see that there's some styles of buildings you don't like being built, and that there's still hobos on the street. Ergo the lot of them are corrupt clones owned by developers and the pro-hobo lobby. Actually Looking at what they actually say and do is just so pedestrian.

The pro hobo lobby??? lol

#46 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:02 PM

Coleman said yes weeks ago which is why Charlayne is out. Chris hasn't announced it yet but it is a forgone conclusion.

My bet is that the Roundhouse "approval" for 21 stories is the trade off for getting the "business community" support.

You should check your information sources better seeing as Chris made up his mind today not to run...........

#47 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:40 AM

Agreed Bernard. Turns out I guess that Chris thought that Fortin had too much of a head start and with Rob Reid joining the Fortin ticket he couldn't be beat.

Major defeat for the "business community".

#48 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:50 AM

No, he thought that a three way race during a federal election made it impossible. One on one he could have beaten Dean Fortin.

#49 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:58 AM

Agreed Bernard. Turns out I guess that Chris thought that Fortin had too much of a head start and with Rob Reid joining the Fortin ticket he couldn't be beat.

Major defeat for the "business community".

I'm sorry, I simply don't believe this.

#50 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:43 AM

Rob Reid and Dean Fortin are friends. Word was that Rob didn't seek a run at Mayor as he didn't want to go up against Dean. Given the shared interest in Green initiatives then working together is a natural.

#51 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:44 AM

No, he thought that a three way race during a federal election made it impossible. One on one he could have beaten Dean Fortin.

Federal election will be over long before voting day. Besides, only the truly hard core show up for municipal election anyways and they tend to vote overwhelmingly for incumbents.

#52 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:07 PM

The time between the two votes will be at most a month. The people who work on the fed campaign are the same ones who will work on a municipal campaign. You also will have $200 000+ sucked up from the city of Victoria for donations to the federal campaign - money will be very tight for municipal races.

The campaign for mayor is first and foremost one of door knocking as the media does a very poor job covering it. One month is not enough time to knock on enough doors to win. Labour day is the traditional start of the intensive campaign for mayor, losing more than half the campaign period will be a major problem.

Turn out in Victoria for the municipal campaign depends on people being able to know who the candidates are - a very vigorous race for mayor will boost turn out. A federal election will kill turn out.

I will repeat again, I am utterly amazed Dean Fortin has not been campaigning all summer. He will be without a team very shortly and will have little time to recover any momentum.

The federal and municipal elections being on top of each other across BC will cause a lot of problems in a lot of areas.

#53 Louise

Louise
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:30 PM

Rob is not aligned with any "slate" of candidates for the upcoming election. His decision not to step into the race for Mayor was tough for him and didn't involve support of any particular mayoral candidate.

#54 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 02:24 PM

Rob is not aligned with any "slate" of candidates for the upcoming election. His decision not to step into the race for Mayor was tough for him and didn't involve support of any particular mayoral candidate.

They do look good together however. :)

#55 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for the clarification Louise!

#56 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:45 PM

Stay tuned for a shake-up in the Mayoral race early this week.

#57 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:27 PM

You were right, Rob:

Big Announcement September 16 2pm @ Beacon Hill Park Join Rob at the flagpole at Beacon Hill Park Tuesday Sept 16 @ 2pm for his big announcement regarding the upcoming Victoria elections. Bring your running gear and join Rob and others on a run around the city following the announcement.
http://www.victoria.frontrunners.ca

See also Victoria2020.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#58 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:54 PM

Wow, ok this gets more interesting!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#59 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:06 PM

I will be there and I will try to post from my phone what he has to say.

#60 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:15 PM

That would be great, Bernard: live-blogging! I'd love to go myself, but have work-related appointments all afternoon.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users