Photo

Brothel...Yes thats right BROTHEL

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:43 AM

PEERS was created as a non-judgemental support organization focused on the well-being of sex workers. There are plenty of other groups that provide moral lecturing.

It would seem to me that they are not too interested in the well-being of sex workers if they are objecting to police looking into complaints of sex trafficking.

• aastra, Nparker, rjag and 1 other like this

#42 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,289 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:45 AM

PEERS was created as a non-judgemental support organization focused on the well-being of sex workers. 

and how is their success measured?

#43 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:47 AM

^I don't know. You don't hear about assaults like you used to. I think the industry is safer overall. But I don't know what yardsticks they use.

• Brayvehart likes this

#44 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:53 AM

^I don't know. You don't hear about assaults like you used to. I think the industry is safer overall. But I don't know what yardsticks they use.

I am not saying that they don't do good work. I am only questioning their objection to sex trafficking investigations. 

• aastra likes this

#45 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:54 AM

... I don't know what yardsticks they use.

I suspect it depends on what sort of yardsticks their customers request. More often it's probably whips rather than sticks though.

#46 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,289 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:59 AM

i doubt it's even yardsticks.  PEERS switched over to the metric system in 2001.

#47 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 02:45 PM

...the police overstated the presence of human trafficking in Victoria.

“It’s not as commonplace as people think it is,”

...she has talked to five women who described being trafficked

In January, four people from Vancouver Island were arrested in Saskatchewan on suspicion of human trafficking.

When we're talking about speed limits:
Every human life is precious. If we can reduce fatalities by even a fraction-of-a-person over some extended time period then any measure is worth it.

When we're talking about human trafficking and forced prostitution:
Meh, good enough is good enough. Don't be such a busybody. Being helpful is one thing but being a nuisance is something else.

#48 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 03:01 PM

No worries, we're inclined to suspect there are probably "only" X number of Victoria-related victims.

Okay, so what would be the threshold whereby some investigative effort from law enforcement would begin to be appropriate and/or justified? Dozens of local victims? Hundreds?

Come on, it's nonsensical to try to localize the severity of such an issue if the crime we're talking about involves moving people around by definition.*

*which brings us back around to the organized crime thing, which brings us back around to crickets chirping

#49 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 03:03 PM

...it's nonsensical to try to localize the severity of such an issue...

...it's nonsensical to try to localize -- and thus diminish -- the severity of such an issue...

#50 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,289 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 02:06 AM

Are Victoria Police Chasing A Sex Trafficking Ring That Doesn’t Exist?

An operation seemingly built on a hunch, VicPD’s Project No More did not find any evidence of sex trafficking but did incense many of the city's sex workers, who insist they are working by choice

https://www.capnews....titution-police

Phillips’ sentiment is mirrored by a 2020 report out of Simon Fraser University, which cited criticism of Canadian law enforcement for making “little to no distinction between trafficking, sex work and migration.”

That same report found trafficking in Canada to be geographically concentrated in the centre of the country with 85% of related convictions taking place in Ontario and Quebec. BC accounted for just 3.7%. Overall, human trafficking accounted for 0.02% of criminal incidents reported to the police in 2016.

Three self-identified sex workers contacted by The Capital described the tactics employed in the Project No More operation as “terrifying”, “interfering”, and “harassment.” One pointed out that it wasted the worker’s time—and time for every businessperson means money. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 July 2020 - 02:09 AM.

#51 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:47 AM

One pointed out that it wasted the worker’s time—and time for every businessperson means money. 

So she/he got paid to sit with a social worker and answer a few questions. I would take that over sex with some stinky old guy any day of the week.

Edited by spanky123, 10 July 2020 - 07:47 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#52 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:26 AM

The phrasings seem to be intentionally crafted to challenge the reader:

...the operation appears to have largely drawn opposition from Victoria-area sex workers, who insist they operate by choice without the coercion the police seem to expect.

...does not believe sex trafficking is as prevalent in Victoria to warrant such an invasive operation

There's enough wiggle room there for an elephant to do a ballroom dance.

And yet...

"Sex trafficking does exist in Victoria,"

Hmmm.

And this next bit... all that inconvenience but only 16 lives were rescued? Was it really worth it? It's practically begging the reader to ask hard questions about the industry's metrics:

...it removed 16 people across Canada from “exploitative situations'' and charged 32 people with offences related to trafficking. However, Phillips said this operation came at a great cost: “Hundred and hundreds of people were detained, interviewed, and interfered with for a very small number of convictions...

• jsan likes this

#53 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:33 AM

“Hundred and hundreds of people were detained, interviewed, and interfered with for a very small number of convictions...

Ideally, law enforcement would allow a situation to get totally out of control before attempting to do anything about it.

• Nparker, jsan and rmpeers like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users