martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 04:15 PM

No easy answers in strata battles
Bowser Manor fight typical of many: mediator

Carolyn Heiman
Times Colonist

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Bowser Manor, at 1001 Terrace Ave., is the home of a long-simmering dispute between owners of separate strata properties.

Bowser Manor, the home of a former premier of the province, is a grandiose heritage building on Victoria's sleepy Terrace Road.

But behind the strata building's walls, a down-and-dirty feud among its owners -- who include a former police chief, a psychologist, a corporate lawyer and an eminent scholar -- is spilling into the courts.

[...]
cheiman@tc.canwest.com
© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2008

http://www.canada.co...4402f9a3589&p=1

#2 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 04:18 PM

Wasn't sure whether to post here or under 'heritage'. So please feel free to move it.
Thought it was an interesting tale.

#3 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 05:06 PM

Ah this building is pretty close to my house, I pass by it all the time. It's always been a favorite of mine, shame it's mainly the 2nd homes of the rich who can't play nice.

#4 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 05:08 PM

I'd like to know "the dirt" on why the other owners are going after the Swiss couple for renos illegally done by that unit's previous owners! Sounds like a Peyton Place in miniature...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#5 B.Bridge

B.Bridge
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:32 PM

So that may explain why a few of them are always for sale. Too bad, nice place, great view. I could find lots of homeless people who would be happy to stay there.

#6 B.Bridge

B.Bridge
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:36 PM

MLS®: 235822
General Description
Spectacular character suite in a beautiful mansion located in Victoria's prestigious Rockland area. This suite has one of the best sea and mountain views in Victoria. Price just reduced $100,000 to reflect decreased square footage available to suite!

I love the positive spin with some realtors - the glass will always be half full.

#7 aastra

aastra
  • 20,779 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 08:46 AM

That doesn't surprise Fanaken, who recalls owners of a Vancouver strata duplex spent $50,000 on his fees -- and "God knows how much on lawyers" -- after a fight that started with a disagreement over a $1,200 difference on a roof-repair quote.

By the time courts ordered Fanaken to step in, the owners "would take feces from their respective dogs and shove it through each other's mailbox. How do you explain that kind of conduct from people earning over $100,000 a year?" he asked.

I believe the technical explanation would be "more-money-than-brains."

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 10:00 AM

^The respective dogs are more respective than their respective owners, I bet.

Anyway, I blame the Swiss. They're always starting wars.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#9 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 10:35 AM

So that may explain why a few of them are always for sale. Too bad, nice place, great view...

My thoughts, too. The whole thing sounds asinine.

#10 twohoboz

twohoboz
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:47 AM

How sad--unfortunately there are many condominium complexes going through similar problems. We live in the Okanagan Valley and our Strata is in turmoil--realtors refer to it as a "rats nest." There are so many wonderful people here--but it only takes a few--any suggestions from anyone on how to deal with the "few"?

#11 phx

phx
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:39 PM

I love the positive spin with some realtors - the glass will always be half full.

Isn't a positive spin be expected from all realtors? If you've got your house for sale, your realtor ought to be doing all that he or she can to sell it.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:28 AM

Some stuff still going through City Hall on this file last week.

#13 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:33 PM

Some stuff still going through City Hall on this file last week.

City staff and taxpayers' money being wasted.
Lock the inmates of 1001 Terrace in a room. Open it to push some gruel through and let them fight it out themselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users