Great Canadian Beer Festival

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#61 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:55 PM

How sad is it that it's impossible under current laws to have a wine festival, where participants can walk the harbour causeway sipping various $5-8/glass wines from nice acrylic wine glass.

Hot August Nights is a large classic car show held in Reno every year. One of the more delightful events is the wine walk where you buy a commemorative wine glass and stroll from venue to venue along the Truckee river that winds its way through town. Every location that you stop at has a different selection of wine. It takes a couple of hours. It is a nice way to meet fellow car enthusiasts.

One very civilized way to spend the early part of the evening.

#62 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:09 AM

Craigslist yesterday....

555r.png

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#63 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:05 AM

Is that all they have to do to get those tickets? The guy sounds pretty desperate.

#64 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:11 AM

Is that all they have to do to get those tickets? The guy sounds pretty desperate.

I've used google image search to send him over 100 entries now, hope I win.

• ZGsta and tedward like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#65 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:27 AM

Good idea.

Although I don't think there are any tickets to be won...
  • sebberry likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#66 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:29 AM

I sent in a couple pix of hitchBOT fully naked.

#67 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:43 AM

That's hot.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#68 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:40 PM

Heading out to the Guild tonight for the Beer Fest Feast. My buddies brewery from Van will be there so I'm pluggin it!
"Featuring special brews from Brassneck Brewery, Gigantic Brewing Company, Parallel 49 Brewing Company, Four Winds Brewing Co. & Phillips! The food menu is inspired by beer and will be a collaboration from The Guild Freehouse, Foo, Choux Choux Charcuterie, and Pig BBQ Joint! $50 gets you in and a free pass to explore all the beer and food want along with the brewers in a casual buffet and passed plates setting."

#69 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:33 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E064kb3UnU

#70 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 04:21 PM

Time to resurrect the thread for 2015. Is it just me or is the event feeling a little tired? The beer list I saw makes clear that this is really a BC Beer Festival, with few breweries from out of province and none at all from the USA. The website design (http://gcbf.com/) looks a little amateurish, volunteer hours are much longer than previous (they were still looking for people a few weeks ago) and there are still Friday tix available. I'm wondering with more fests on the Mainland and in Washington State, that the GCBF is viewed as not offering value for money.

• spanky123 likes this

#71 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:47 PM

If I'm not mistaken US participation was threatened by some kind of kooky rule. Maybe that has set in.

#72 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:34 PM

If I'm not mistaken US participation was threatened by some kind of kooky rule. Maybe that has set in.

Yes, some consular international rule that was left up to the whims of the Grand Poohbahs of BC liquor control. I believe US breweries were here before under sufferance. Interesting (and a good thing) that one can find plenty of esoteric US taps at Churchill, Garricks, The Moon and so on.

#73 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 05:57 AM

It was interesting a few years ago when there was more diversity and you couldn't buy 500 different brands at the local liquor store. I stopped going 2 years ago when it became $50 to get in and $8 a bottle equivalent to drink the same beer that I could buy down the road.

• weirdie likes this

#74 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:21 AM

I'll be going for the first time. I've never seem the draw before but might as well give it a go. I'll be there on the Friday.

Know it all.

#75 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:23 AM

I'll be going for the first time. I've never seem the draw before but might as well give it a go. I'll be there on the Friday.

I've never gone because it seemed like it would cost me at least $80 all-in. Compared to a $10 growler at Phillips that's crazy.  But I do want to try it one time so I'm going Friday too.

#76 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:34 AM

Great. It would be good to put another face to a name if you're up for that (many posters want to stay anonymous and that's cool, of course)  :cheers:

• nagel likes this

Know it all.

#77 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:35 AM

Great. It would be good to put another face to a name if you're up for that (many posters want to stay anonymous and that's cool, of course)  :cheers:

Mine is about as anonymous as yours is.

#78 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:13 AM

Gotcha. I'll specify my wardrobe beforehand. Beer + beer is a good way to meet people.

Know it all.

#79 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:46 AM

I'm wearing a purple bejewelled stormtrooper shirt.

:redface:

#80 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:28 AM

it seems unthinkable to me that they would scale back the gcbf to just bc breweries. what is this insanity?

Only eight or nine out-of-province brewers, from as far away as Quebec and Whitehorse, are represented. Hieter says that at some point, the festival may only feature B.C. companies.

http://www.timescolo...n-day-1.2054570

iirc there was a time when the gcbf was in our tiny conference centre & moved out to RAP where it has been held since. have they even tried finding a bigger location, or keeping most of it at RAP & expanding into nearby central park (behind the crystal pool, kitty-corner from RAP). there are much bigger locations that could probably accomodate the breweries on the waitlist. places like landsdowne school, topaz park... they could even have multiple locations, like the beer olympics. bc breweries at RAP, rest of canada somewhere else or whatever. here are some stats from the great american beer fest

Festival Facts

• The festival sold out in 1 hour 17 minutes during the public ticket sale in 2015. In 2007, the festival sold out the week of the event.
  • An estimated 3,500+ beers will be poured in the festival hall—the biggest selection of American beers ever served.
  • 60,000 attendees (includes ticketed attendees, brewers, judges, volunteers and journalists) are expected in 2015.
  • 750+ U.S. breweries will pour in the festival hall in 2015—a new record.
  • GABF had a $7 million economic impact on the city of Denver in 2012, according to Visit Denver, the city’s convention and visitors bureau.
https://www.greatame...-facts-figures/

Edited by amor de cosmos, 11 September 2015 - 09:28 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users