Great Canadian Beer Festival

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#81 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:37 AM

Topaz Park would work well, I'd think. Huge venue. Time to hink bigger and better, and keep it open to all Canadian breweries.

I suspect they are prioritizing BC ones, and due to there being so many BC ones now compared to 10 years ago, out of province ones are being pushed out.

#82 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:55 AM

Topaz is boring, why not Fort Rodd Hill?  Now that you do not need to be caged any longer.

Or all along the David Foster Way from Fisherman's Wharf park to the Laurel Point and beyond.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#83 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:58 AM

The beer drunk patrons will try to shoot off the cannons.

#84 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:44 AM

I've always thought the Lower causeway would be awesome for a wine festival
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#85 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:17 PM

I'm wearing a purple bejewelled stormtrooper shirt.

:redface:

Blue plaid shirt and a black ballcap with an anchor on the front!

And holding a beer.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#86 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:45 PM

no entrance fee at the Esquimalt ribfest.

#87 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:28 AM

I'm wearing a purple bejewelled stormtrooper shirt.

:redface:

The man wasn't kidding. Suddenly a purple bejewelled storm trooper shirt fills my field of vision and I immediately know that I will never unsee what I just saw. Nice to have met you, Nagel, hope you guys made it out of there in one piece!

Good time was had by all. Tokens are more expensive this year, 20 for $30.
  • nagel likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#88 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:40 PM

& they don't even use the whole RAP facility right now

ekqecn.jpg

#89 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 03:23 PM

RAP compared with the saanich fairgrounds. the images are at the same scale but don't just take my word for it try it yourself. good for the BC scene to have so many craft breweries now that a festival with just them would be bigger than recent GCBFs but that means the GCBF has outgrown its current location, just like at another time it outgrew the conference centre. & red tape & whatnot obviously doesn't seem to have been a problem back then. come one come all :cheers:

2luv0w7.jpg

Edited by amor de cosmos, 13 September 2015 - 03:34 PM.

#90 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 03:29 PM

It wasn't all that busy on the Friday. In fact I was surprised by just how few people there were. I didn't see the action on Saturday but if Friday was any indication the event has tapped out and will either stay at its current size or start to taper off given booze events like Beer Week, Brewery and the Beast, Art of the Cocktail, etc competing with GCBF.

There's only so much people can spend, especially with GCBF, Ribfest, Brewery and the Beast, Rifflandia and Art of the Cocktail all within about one month of each other, and Swine and Vine is in there somewhere too, plus Feast of Fields or whatever it's called.

Know it all.

#91 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 03:57 PM

It wasn't all that busy on the Friday. In fact I was surprised by just how few people there were. I didn't see the action on Saturday but if Friday was any indication the event has tapped out and will either stay at its current size or start to taper off given booze events like Beer Week, Brewery and the Beast, Art of the Cocktail, etc competing with GCBF.

I think it certainly does have more competition now.  Friday is always the lighter day though.  Friday did not sell out this year.

#92 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 05:31 PM

Which made for a very pleasant boozy evening. No line-ups, no riff-raff, just lots of beer. Lots of beer :)

• GaryRanson and nagel like this

Know it all.

#93 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:29 PM

yeah friday usually seems to have the more serious beer geeks, which works for me :)
  • pontcanna likes this

#94 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:08 PM

Tokens are more expensive this year, 20 for $30.

Tokens have been $1.50 apiece for some time.

#95 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 01:04 PM

i wonder how it would work if there was some sort of informal coordination of different festivals held in successive weekends. like there were no american beers at this year's gcbf (likely due to duties at the border + no space because the gcbf hasn't kept pace with the expansion of the industry) but there was a takeover of 35 taps of US beers at the drake the same weekend. i wonder how it would work if for example phillips' hopoxia were the weekend before, and maybe some kind of fresh-hop festival the weekend soon after once a bc hop industry gets more established, and VI beer fest is in there in some way rather than earlier in the year.

some pics
http://victoriabeers...-festival-2015/

Tokens have been $1.50 apiece for some time.

just the last couple years iirc. but apparently they tried hard to keep the price of tokens at $1.25 for a few years before raising it. the cost of keeping it at $1.25 was just killing them.

#96 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 01:22 PM

I dunno, I can go to Yates Taphouse today and pick from over 40 beers.  Or the place next to Garricks with 60 or whatever they have.

#97 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 01:41 PM

I dunno, I can go to Yates Taphouse today and pick from over 40 beers.  Or the place next to Garricks with 60 or whatever they have.

I'm cheap.  I don't even like paying $12 for a growler, even though it's still a deal.

GCBF was a lot of fun, and I didn't think the $1.50 was unreasonable.  So I spent $30 on beer one time, but I did get to try 20 beers.  The admission fee was a bit steep but whatever.  It was definitely a nice experience.

#98 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:04 PM

I'm cheap.  I don't even like paying $12 for a growler, even though it's still a deal.

$12  ?!?

I paid $10 the last time I was at Philip's. 

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#99 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:36 PM

Damnit, tedward, we'd gotten away with charging nagel $12 for all this time.

Pff. Thanks.

• tedward likes this

Know it all.

#100 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:21 PM

$12  ?!?

I paid $10 the last time I was at Philip's. 

Exactly, but to be honest Phillips is an anomaly.  Everyone else charges at least $11.  I just paid $12 right now at 4 mile for a black IPA.

Oh and not everyone knows you can buy tokens at Phillips to make it even cheaper.  Get 5 growler tokens for $45.

Edited by nagel, 17 September 2015 - 08:21 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users