Photo

5th (Fifth) Street Wood Fired Rotiserrie / bar & grill | Victoria | Hillside at Fifth

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:37 AM

1028 Hillside Avenue (Hillside Avenue at Fifth Street)

I enjoy this spot with friends,

On the upside, I like the way the menu is broken into $5 price increments; it keeps me from tripping over all the expensive stuff I can't afford. I think the $10 roasted half-chicken dinner and the roasted pork loin are ridiculously good values. The food quality has also been pretty consistent, as well.

On the downside, the room is way too dark (must be for the dating crowd and I'm way beyond that) and it can get a loud with a full room bouncing off all the hard surfaces.

#2 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:35 AM

They have been inconsistent the last couple of years. I was there on Saturday night and got a rare steak when I ordered it medium. I sent it back only to have it return chared on the outside and barely warm in the middle! I told them to forget about doing it again and ordered something else which was the chicken satay and it was really good. When I got my bill they didn't charge me for either dish which is good but the steak thing I found ridiculous.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:00 PM

Automatically comping a meal (or two!) unless the customer demands it is bad management. Surprisingly, often people are happier with a free fancy dessert instead. A sincere apology and a tasty dessert or fancy coffees lingers in the memory long after the cash is forgotten. And it costs the restaurant a hell of a lot less.

I've only been a couple of times and enjoyed it, but yeah, it does get noisy, especially if a hockey game's on.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 03:47 PM

^ Exactly. Better to comp booze than food (although "technically" against liquor rules). That's a LOT cheaper.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:30 PM

Fifth's buffalo burger is excellent and at $10 it's an incredible deal.

This place also has some of the most reasonable prices (at least on the pub side). The menu has items in $5 increments starting with $5, and everything from the least to most expensive food tastes great for pub fare.

#6 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:42 PM

^ Exactly. Better to comp booze than food (although "technically" against liquor rules). That's a LOT cheaper.

ROFL...you've obviously never gone to dinner with me :D

#7 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:01 AM

In the mid '60s, my sister lived in a small apartment on that very corner.

#8 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:09 PM

In the mid '60s, my sister lived in a small apartment on that very corner.

Was Gordon's Sporting Goods there in the mid '60s?

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:40 PM

Ya, somewhere near. I bought my first ten-speed there. A red Nishiki. Later I was more of a fan of Reno Bikes on Government St. I think I bought a bike or two from a shop in Shelbourne Plaza too. I forget the name of the place, I think it had a persons name in it. I always had a few bikes on the go, one or two for the paper routes (you always needed a back-up, if you get a flat and the news had to get out in time, no time for a repair. I'd do the repair later that day), then one or two for leisure.

I love the smell of bike stores.

#10 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:05 AM

Yes. After my sister and her husband moved out. The building was owned by her father-in-law.

#11 Bhatman

Bhatman
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:00 PM

I love this place, staff is so friendly there! And awesome pricing

#12 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:22 AM

I've always had good food and service there. Going tomorrow night actually. :)

The only weird experience was them running out of martini glasses. We wound up swilling them out of tumblers. LOL

#13 teddygram

teddygram
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:59 PM

I used to go here at least once a week, for almost a year. Then one day, while there were only about 5-6 other customers eating, my food took over 45 mins. No apologies or anything from the server, and as I bit into my burger, there was hair in it. And I will add in, they did not give me my meal complimentary.

#14 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:13 PM

I used to go here at least once a week, for almost a year. Then one day, while there were only about 5-6 other customers eating, my food took over 45 mins. No apologies or anything from the server, and as I bit into my burger, there was hair in it. And I will add in, they did not give me my meal complimentary.

Was there recently for a client meeting and was not impressed at all. Late lunch, around 1:30pm mid week. Very few people in, the TV's in the bar side were blasting, so we moved to the 'restaurant' side as the bar person gruffly refused to drop the sound level. Food took 1/2 hr, and was cold - our server seemed really embarrassed.

I have been there a few times previously and it had been average to good. This last experience really put me off the place.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

Councillor Shellie Gudgeon has sold Fifth Street.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

Councillor Shellie Gudgeon has sold Fifth Street.

Reliable source? Best time to sell is when you're still making money.

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:14 PM

Yup, her neighbour, "Mrs. Mike K." :)

It should be making its rounds through the media. The buyers, if I recall the conversation correctly, are the fellows behind Lucky Bar and Pescatore's.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:57 PM

I heard the same thing, and heard that at the same time bought a farm somewhere in saanich to raise the meat and veg used in his restaurants. Apparently this was in the paper yesterday or today... ??

Mike Murphy is his name, isn't he her brother?

Matt.

#19 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

From the Times Colonist- Changing hands

http://www.timescolo...5586/story.html

From the article

The new ownership group is a partnership with David Kindrat, Mike Murphy and Balbant Singh Sandhu. Kindrat owns Lucky Bar and Fiamo downtown while Murphy, the brother of Shellie Gudgeon, operates a trio of successful restaurants downtown - Pescatores, Oyster Bar and Bon Rouge.

Murphy, who was an original partner in 5th Street in 1998 and was bought out early on, said the 70 staff will be kept and there won't be many changes.

He said the March 1 change will be "a seamless turnover."

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

I'm picking up rumours indicating that the bar is going to be moved, to make the entry less constricted, and make it look busier from the street at all times.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users