[Bicycles] Issues with bicycles and cyclists in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
2302 replies to this topic

#2141 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 03 March 2023 - 04:19 PM

Aren't the anti-car folks always complaining about the free storage of personal automobiles on public property when ranting about free parking?

Maybe the free storage of personal bicycles should come to an end.

This is right downtown, where there is generally no free car parking.  There is free bike parking outside of this concierge.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 March 2023 - 04:20 PM.

#2142 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 03 March 2023 - 04:35 PM

I think those are technically called bicycle donation stands.  :rtfm:

And the concierge is de facto a bicycle security compound.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2143 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 02:29 PM

The Town of Sidney has dropped two proposed bike lane projects as priorities in its draft active transportation plan because of public opposition.

______

The town received hundreds of letters about the draft plan and more than 1,000 responses to a public survey, exceeding the response to any other online survey the town has conducted, including a survey on the Beacon Wharf replacement, a topic that sparked protests.

Forty-six per cent of respondents said they do not want to see any new or improved bike projects in Sidney, a staff report said.

_______

Three per cent of trips in ­Sidney are done by bike, according to the Capital Regional District’s 2017 Origin Destination Survey.

Noting that 45 per cent of Sidney residents are over 65, Mayor Cliff McNeil-Smith told council he appreciates that many older residents rely on having parking close to their destinations.

_____

Corey Burger, policy and infrastructure chair for Capital Bike, said he was struck by how negative public response was to bike infrastructure, which he said is unique in the region.

“There’s always negative commentary around bike ­infrastructure. It’s polarizing, unfortunately. But the sheer ­volume of the negative, I think, is what really struck me,” he said.

https://www.timescol...eedback-7081764

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 June 2023 - 02:31 PM.

#2144 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,491 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 02:45 PM

The swing of the pendulum to the left is a measure of the swing to the right. 

• Barrrister likes this

#2145 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 June 2023 - 03:07 PM

Wish Corey still participated here, but I think he's out to lunch to expect that Sidney would welcome spending tons of money on something it does not need. There is no argument that Sidney needs them.

#2146 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 03:18 PM

They're just going to be pushed back 5-10 years but they will be built in time.
  • Brayvehart likes this

#2147 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 03:20 PM

They should be built - when other major roadwork is needed to coincide. Not before.

#2148 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 03:38 PM

...Corey Burger, policy and infrastructure chair for Capital Bike, said he was struck by how negative public response was to bike infrastructure, which he said is unique in the region...

Perhaps not so unique. Which other municipalities have even allowed their residents any legitimate input into the expansion of "active" transportation?

• Barrrister and E2V like this

#2149 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 07:34 PM

There are bike riders all over Sidney, I don't know why they need bike lanes, they take over a lane of traffic in the downtown core. Which is fine with me, you can't get going much faster than 20 kph in your car anyway. Short blocks, lots of stop signs etc. restrict you.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2150 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 02:59 PM

A Victoria charity that promotes cycling in the B.C. capital is searching for its prized electric cargo bike after it was stolen from outside the non-profit group's office on Tuesday.

The custom-built cargo bike, valued at approximately $10,000, was double-locked to a bike rack on Hillside Avenue around 5 a.m. when a thief used tools to cut through the high-end locks.

Surveillance video provided to CTV News by the group, Capital Bike, shows a man using bolt cutters and a battery-powered grinder to saw through the locks, which the group says cost $250 each.

The thief then leaves his own bicycle at the scene as he walks away with the electric bike.

https://vancouverisl...theft-1.6449067

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 June 2023 - 02:59 PM.

#2151 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 03:09 PM

The thief then leaves his own bicycle at the scene as he walks away with the electric bike.

Are we sure the guy wasn't just a cycling enthusiast who misunderstood how the share programs work?

• Nparker, Love the rock, Barrrister and 1 other like this

#2152 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 04:11 PM

The custom-built cargo bike, valued at approximately $10,000, was double-locked to a bike rack on Hillside Avenue around 5 a.m. when a thief used tools to cut through the high-end locks.

So... doesn't it seem a bit odd that you would leave such an expensive bicycle locked up outside overnight in Victoria -- near Hillside and Quadra, no less -- and expect it to be there in the morning? I don't want to blame the victims here but even back in the day I don't think many people would have dared to leave a valuable bike out in the open around there even if it had been worth one-tenth as much.

• Matt R. likes this

#2153 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 07:40 PM

I agree, we are selling the rather expensive locks for our bikes because we will never leave them anywhere unless we are right there with them.

• aastra likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2154 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,040 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 08:55 PM

So... doesn't it seem a bit odd that you would leave such an expensive bicycle locked up outside overnight in Victoria -- near Hillside and Quadra, no less -- and expect it to be there in the morning? I don't want to blame the victims here but even back in the day I don't think many people would have dared to leave a valuable bike out in the open around there even if it had been worth one-tenth as much.

No way. I lived in the area, mid 90’s. If anything, it’s better now!

#2155 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 09:26 PM

When did a bike become worth ten grand? Seems to be someone with more dollars than sense.

#2156 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 08:08 AM

Bicycle thefts have been a major point of contention in Victoria, politically as much as socially.

This is not going to go over very well, as the underlying issues that led to the theft of this $10k bike are interwoven politically with cycling advocacy groups.

Screen Shot 2023-06-21 at 9.06.24 AM.png

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2157 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 09:32 AM

Just wait for the increase in bike thefts when all these people that bought e-bikes with the government rebates hit the streets.

They'll take their $5000 e-bike down to the grocery store to buy some milk, lock it up with a $20 lock, and it will be gone before they go through checkout.

#2158 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,040 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 10:57 AM

Locks don’t mean anything anymore. A $50 battery powered grinder will take care of anything in minutes.

Best part is the grinder is free.
  • Barrrister likes this

#2159 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 10:58 AM

Indeed. Cordless tools - mostly stolen - have fuelled the catalytic converter theft trade too.

#2160 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 11:10 AM

Thanks, truckers.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users