#1 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 01:24 PM

Just saw this on CEOs for Cities:

Will It Draw Hot Chicks?
August 25, 2008
Posted by: Carol

That will be an important sign of whether bus rapid transit, the value-priced alternative to light rail, actually works, according to Alan Hoffman, a San Diego-based transit consultant. It may not be politically correct to say so out loud, he said , "but it's what I call the 'AYF Factor.' Attractive young females are the canary in the coal mine of public transit. They're sensitive to safety, and they want to be in a nice spot. If you draw them in, you are reaching a broad market. A whole lot of transit systems, when you look around, you notice certain populations are missing."

Reporting for the Star-Tribune, David Peterson writes, "Buses can be as successful as -- in fact more successful than -- trains. But only if planners understand why they tend to be seen as the poor relation to rail, and take a series of steps to make sure they do for people what rail does."

Public officials will need to think like brand managers for a corporation. They will need to create an image of stylishness that goes from the buses and stations themselves down to the last detail. They will need to shave every possible second off a commuter's trip.

"The time calculation will be critical," Hoffman said, "as will a train-like clarity about where the buses go -- too often bus maps are confusing to people." And the look of things will be key. He showed a lavishly landscaped Disney transit stop as a case in point.

So, wha't's the AYF quotient on Victoria public transit? How about AYMs? ;-)
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#2 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 01:51 PM

Sounds reasonable.

I, for instance, will start taking the bus the very second I'm met at the door by a hot little hostess who seats me at a table and follows up immediately with a martini (not the VV martini, the gin martini) and a foot rub.

Till that happens, you wouldn't catch me on one of those things to save a life...

#3 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:42 PM

Admit it, you'd show up if there was a bunch of hot young things that might let YOU buy THEM the drink and follow with a footrub...

#4 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:00 PM

Brand management???
Biz school weasel words.
All the branding in the world and its still a frickin BUS, folks. Its sex appeal quotient is even less than Mrs. McCain.
Skip a step and do electric-powered LRT... like the French do.

#5 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:10 PM

Admit it, you'd show up if there was a bunch of hot young things that might let YOU buy THEM the drink and follow with a footrub...

lol...I had some little, slightly offside comment I was going to type, but when it comes down to it...you're absolutely right.

I'm not a proud man....

#6 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:44 PM

How about buses with "Champagne Rooms"...just a thought...:P

#7 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:27 PM

How about buses with "Champagne Rooms"...just a thought...:P

Yeah, apparently there are not enough drunks onboard already!:D
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#8 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:57 PM

No matter how pretty the bus proponents paint the BRT picture, rail will always be on top. Regardless, a multi-modal transportation system for the CRD and lower island is the way to go.

E&N supported by better transit (conventional, community and BRT/Express), cycling, walking, modern streetcars and LRT. At the same time urban development that supports and is supported by the before mentioned modes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users