Photo

10 Acres Bistro + Bar + Market (old Bon Rouge Bistro) | Victoria | 611 Courtney St.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:45 AM

Anybody been?

#2 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 942 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:12 PM

Yep, and it's pretty good. French bistro fare, steak frites, etc., much cheaper and easier to get a seat in than Brasserie L'ecole or Café Brio. But I see on another thread that Bon Rouge may be closed. Any news?

#3 hotdoglegz

hotdoglegz
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:07 AM

Yep, and it's pretty good. French bistro fare, steak frites, etc., much cheaper and easier to get a seat in than Brasserie L'ecole or Café Brio. But I see on another thread that Bon Rouge may be closed. Any news?

I would agree that it is easier to get a seat at Bon Rouge, but the entrees at Brasserie l'ecole start at $21 where as the main dishes at Bon Rouge are from $24 and up.

Cafe Brio, if you omit pastas, a main course will cost you at least $26.

#4 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:44 AM

Service and food is good here.

#5 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 942 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:28 PM

I would agree that it is easier to get a seat at Bon Rouge, but the entrees at Brasserie l'ecole start at $21 where as the main dishes at Bon Rouge are from $24 and up.

Ah, you are right. Haven't been to either for a while. I remember noting when Bon Rouge opened that it was cheaper than most, but clearly that's changed. Not the first place to run bargain prices for the first couple of months, and then let them creep up as the business becomes established.

#6 LJ

LJ
  • 12,778 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 01:09 PM

Not the cheapest place but good food.

He also owns Pescatores by the way, which is also not the cheapest place around.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#7 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:08 PM

But damn that seafood crepe is fine!

#8 cluseau

cluseau
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:19 PM

Also recommended. Been there twice now and everyone had good food both times. Also interesting/different decor!

And for anyone who ever wanted to know...pork belly is delicious, but you can actually feel your heart slowing down each time you swallow. Definitely a once in a lifetime dish

#9 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:54 PM

Rumor has it Bon Rouge is experiencing financial difficulties.....any truth to this? Does anyone has an inside scoop?

#10 hotdoglegz

hotdoglegz
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:22 PM

Cafe Brio, if you omit pastas, a main course will cost you at least $26.

I noticed today that Bon Rouge has dropped the prices on their entrees. The main dishes are now priced from $20 to $25

#11 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:24 AM

This establishment is taking a alternate route to attract clients:

Pay What You Think it’s Worth menu

“It’s entirely up to each customer whether they give £100 or a penny. All I’m asking is they pay me what they think the food and service is worth,” said Peter Ilic, who launched the chain in 1992 to offer European cuisine at good value.

This latest move takes the value principle a step further as high-flying money managers from London’s financial district trim their budgets and look for bargains amid the credit crunch – a far cry from the lavish lunches popular when markets were soaring.Mr. Ilic said that some customers have chosen to pay 20% more than the original price. “People want to be polite and would be embarrassed not to pay enough,” he told Reuters.
They do have to pay for their drinks but tap water is free for those who are really strapped for cash.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:18 PM

This establishment is taking a alternate route to attract clients:

Pay What You Think it’s Worth menu

“It’s entirely up to each customer whether they give £100 or a penny. All I’m asking is they pay me what they think the food and service is worth,” said Peter Ilic, who launched the chain in 1992 to offer European cuisine at good value.

This latest move takes the value principle a step further as high-flying money managers from London’s financial district trim their budgets and look for bargains amid the credit crunch – a far cry from the lavish lunches popular when markets were soaring.Mr. Ilic said that some customers have chosen to pay 20% more than the original price. “People want to be polite and would be embarrassed not to pay enough,” he told Reuters.
They do have to pay for their drinks but tap water is free for those who are really strapped for cash.

YA, THAT MIGHT NOT WORK LONG, UNLESS YOU HAD A VERY SERIOUS DRESS-CODE. IE. NO STREET PEOPLE.

#13 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:02 PM

The two restaurants are worlds apart. Not only in terms of service but also quality of food and cooking technique. And luckily Brasserie has never needed to hire a person in chef's white to coerce hapless tourists to dine at their establishment.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:34 PM

The two restaurants are worlds apart. Not only in terms of service but also quality of food and cooking technique. And luckily Brasserie has never needed to hire a person in chef's white to coerce hapless tourists to dine at their establishment.

In fairness, it is a totally new owner since they hired the chef guy on the street. Bon Rouge has never had such a person.

#15 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,018 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:46 PM

It a tough market for a lot of the upscale restaurants now. They fared pretty well for the first 6 months of the downturn, but having gone out several times in the past two weeks it is obviously that traffic is starting to decline.

#16 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:52 AM

Look, everyone can/will do what they do for their reasons/excuses etc.

At the end of the day...and in my humble opin, it is those who innovate, creative and offer the top customer experience who with survive.

Thats how I'm doing it.

:D

#17 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:17 PM

In fairness, it is a totally new owner since they hired the chef guy on the street. Bon Rouge has never had such a person.

Do you know who the new owner is?
I think the chef-guy-on-the-street came with the property -the former Julias' Place. I was shocked when Bon Rouge first opened to see the same man on the street for Bon Rouge. I dined at Bon Rouge various times when they first opened and viewed first hand the "guy" ushering in tourists from his beat.

#18 LJ

LJ
  • 12,778 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:13 PM

Do you know who the new owner is?

It's Murphy, the same fella who owns Pescatores.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#19 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:05 AM

Starbucks launches coffee-and-food combos, cites economy

LOS ANGELES — Starbucks Corp will start selling coffee and breakfast foods together for $3.95 (U.S. price) next month in its first combination discount, to lure consumers into its coffee shops during the recession.

#20 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:04 AM

Starbucks launches coffee-and-food combos, cites economy

LOS ANGELES — Starbucks Corp will start selling coffee and breakfast foods together for $3.95 (U.S. price) next month in its first combination discount, to lure consumers into its coffee shops during the recession.

Awesome. So now it's going to take even longer for the staff to work their way through the line-ups than usual.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users