• Please log in to reply
469 replies to this topic

#81 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:21 AM

The one that is on the left hand side when you turn off Douglas and head for the arena. A block past the armory.

#82 DockDancer

DockDancer
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:15 PM

So today was the deadline for filing the information with the Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy Canada. Wonder what tomorrow will bring.

#83 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:07 PM

The one that is on the left hand side when you turn off Douglas and head for the arena. A block past the armory.

I'd rather see something happen with the one that's kitty-corner to White Spot.

#84 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:25 PM

Me too that is the one that would be the priority for me.

#85 Marilyn

Marilyn
  • 374 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:40 AM

Our old house (and the house next door) on the Gorge Road was torn down to build the Traveler's Inn at the corner of Albany St. There was an orchard with cherry, apple, pear, apricot, plum trees. A peach tree in the front so you could pick the top ones from the balcony. It had stained glass windows too.

#86 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:25 AM

I don't think Asfar built any of these hotels himself. Didn't he just buy up existing motels and rename them, starting in the early 1990s? One thing no one can hold him personally responsible for his the destruction of lovely old houses and their surrounding properties.

#87 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:30 AM

I don't think Asfar built any of these hotels himself. Didn't he just buy up existing motels and rename them...

True. He certainly has spent minimal money fixing them up over the years. I wouldn't be too sad to see any of them gone and replaced with higher quality facilties. Heck even the Days Inns south of the border have more aesthetic appeal.

#88 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:54 AM

In fairness to John, the hotels he replaced were even more of an eyesore.

It doesn't appear as though he has spent a lot of additional money maintaining the properties over the years and perhaps that is part of the challenge he faces now. The drop in tourism has forced the higher end properties to heavily discount rooms which makes Travellers Inn far less of a bargain given the state of the rooms and buildings.

#89 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:39 AM

There is a price war on going in Victoria this summer for hotel rates - some room prices are dropping 30% or more. B + B's seem to be doing well though, most are maintaining last year's room rates - neither up or down.

Tourists who would normally book into Traveller's Inn are finding much better hotels are near the same price.

Victoria hoteliers have been cutting room rates in an attempt to get more tourists
between ... what is turning out to be a trying year for the tourism industry. ...

#90 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:48 AM

I think that 30% off is dreaming on the part of the hoteliers. If you check any of the hotel discount sites I would be suprised if you had to pay more than $85 for a room in any of higher end properties.

#91 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:21 AM

Expedia lists the Grand Pacific at $223, with 20% off; Empress at $183; even the HoJo on Gorge is over $100. $85 for a higher end hotel is highly unlikely.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#92 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:24 AM

85 bucks is cheap for a crappy motel in Port Angeles.

#93 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:58 AM

Expedia lists the Grand Pacific at $223, with 20% off; Empress at $183; even the HoJo on Gorge is over $100. $85 for a higher end hotel is highly unlikely.

Try Priceline or Hotwire. Captain Kirk be choppin' prices there. I remember getting a room at the Hilton @ Rockafeller Centre over Christmas a couple of years back for $129USD. The room retailed for $459.

#94 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:53 PM

Hotwire, which was cheaper than Priceline, had the cheapest hotel listed at $99USD for a two star in downtown Victoria on the 23rd through 24th. The cheapest on the list was some accommodation in Esquimalt/Langford (quite a broad area) for $57USD.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#95 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:12 PM

Hotwire, which was cheaper than Priceline, had the cheapest hotel listed at $99USD for a two star in downtown Victoria on the 23rd through 24th. The cheapest on the list was some accommodation in Esquimalt/Langford (quite a broad area) for $57USD.

Right, that is for the listed prices. But if you use Priceline's 'Name Your Own Price' feature, chances are you will end up with a room for way less than what is listed. For my New York trip, I accepted the fact that the only things I could control about where I stayed were the date, the neighbourhood (Midtown West), the hotel quality (4 star) and of course, the bid price. I held my breath after my bid was accepted and was ecstatic that it was the Hilton - although it could have easily been the Marriot, W, Sheraton or Parker Meridian, which all fit the above criteria.

For Victoria, I lined up (but did not execute) a bid for a 4 star Deluxe hotel (which would be one of: Marriot, Delta, Magnolia or Empress) of $20, which is the first price that I didn't get the message "Based on average price, this bid has little chance of being accepted."

Of course to find out, you actually have to make the bid under the proviso that again, you don't get to choose where you stay, other than a 4* in Victoria - that's the downside of NYOP - if anyone accepts your bid, you are automatically and unrefundably booked in there.

But I think for starting at $20+ per night, it's worth a shot.

#96 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:28 PM

I use Hotwire almost exclusively now. Never tried Priceline's NYOP, but that sounds very, very cool!

But for your average traveler pulling into town on a road trip, chances are they'll just drive up to a motel with the hopes of landing something cheap or they'll take their chances at a hotel. For $85 there isn't much to choose from and the special rates offered on the Internet are almost never offered at the counter.

Know it all.

#97 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:36 PM

Although I haven't used Priceline myself, where I work they use Priceline's NYOP all of the time for travel. Generally speaking you can get a room at 30-40% of the best price listed online. Not 30% off, .3 x the price!

#98 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:37 PM

Any updates?

#99 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:53 PM

They're still advertising those three payroll positions. I guess at this place you need some Creative Writing education.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#100 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:18 AM

they're still advertising those three payroll positions. I guess at this place you need some creative writing education.

yikes!!!!!!!!!!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users