Photo

[Marine] Victoria cruise ship industry | Breakwater District/Ogden Point | News / issues

• Please log in to reply
3308 replies to this topic

#2481 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 02:13 PM

My next cruise is already booked...but not until April 2022.

I bet they have small boat excursions. Check with your cruise director.

Edited by todd, 11 February 2021 - 02:14 PM.

#2482 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,856 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 02:14 PM

I bet they have small boat excursions.

Not in the transatlantic portion of the cruise.

• todd likes this

#2483 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 02:36 PM

How about a monorail? https://youtu.be/ZDOI0cq6GZM

#2484 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,856 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 02:37 PM

Carnival Mardi Gras will feature a roller coaster

• todd likes this

#2485 LJ

LJ
  • 12,759 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 09:06 PM

Time will tell, but I dont see a dramatic downside for the US if they amend the Jones act to designate Alaska as a foreign port. But lets see what happens. Certainly this is not great news for Victoria. Personally I dont miss the hoards wandering around although I recognize they are some peoples bread and butter.

It's not actually the Jones act affecting them. It is the Passenger Vessel Services Act.

• Victoria Watcher likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2486 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 09:32 PM

LJ: good to know that

#2487 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,222 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 07:36 AM

Can Seattle’s waterfront businesses survive another lean season, after Canadian cruise ban?
Feb. 16, 2021 at 6:00 am  Updated Feb. 16, 2021 at 3:59 pm

#2488 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,856 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 07:51 AM

Keep in mind that the Victoria Clipper is also unable to make international runs. I am sure this has an impact both sides of the border as well. I know I usually take it once a season or so.

#2489 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,630 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 07:51 AM

I learned a lot from the comments to that article.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2490 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,636 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 08:58 AM

I learned a lot from the comments to that article.

Yup.....interesting I did not know this:

The Jones Act has zero, zilch, nothing to do with cruise ships. It applies to cargo and cargo vessels only.

The cabotage laws for cruise ships is governed by the Passenger Vessel Services Act which predates the Jones Act (officially the Merchant Marine Act of 1920) by decades. Before Flags of Convenience were a thing, these acts were meant to protect American interests far beyond just union labor.

#2491 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,630 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 09:00 AM

Right. Also, since the vessels are predominantly built outside of the US, even if the act was repealed for flagging their construction outside of the country will continue to prohibit port-to-port sailings.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2492 LJ

LJ
  • 12,759 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 08:46 PM

Yup.....interesting I did not know this:

The Jones Act has zero, zilch, nothing to do with cruise ships. It applies to cargo and cargo vessels only.

The cabotage laws for cruise ships is governed by the Passenger Vessel Services Act which predates the Jones Act (officially the Merchant Marine Act of 1920) by decades. Before Flags of Convenience were a thing, these acts were meant to protect American interests far beyond just union labor.

How did you not know this, I stated it just up the page. #2485   :)

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2493 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,636 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 09:06 PM

How did you not know this, I stated it just up the page. #2485   :)

Me have short tiny 'ttention span; me no like reading 2 much - hurt head. Strain brain. Same for tiny print. Too squinty. Me only tune in to Victoria Watcher post #2487 cuz BIG WORDS catch eye.....(but mainly......me too lazy to go back more further in topic) :)

#2494 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:34 PM

Well, I learned something and found it interesting.

#2495 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,222 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 06:09 AM

Young has introduced the Alaska Tourism Recovery Act that would temporarily allow cruise ships to travel directly between Seattle and Alaska. Regulations require the ships to make a stop in a foreign country, typically Vancouver or Victoria.

In a statement, Young said the bill would provide relief for large cruise vessels, the lifeblood of Alaska’s summer tourism economy. He noted the relief would be temporary, applying only while Canadian ports are closed to the ships.

https://www.timescol...eyed-1.24287846

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 February 2021 - 06:09 AM.

#2496 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 03:17 PM

Chances of this actually being temporary are zero. If it passes it'll be the end of Victoria and Vancouver's cruise ship business. Pretty sure the feds would be pleased with this.

#2497 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 09:31 PM

Why would the Feds be pleased with a loss of business along with tax revenue?

Not saying you are wrong but I am wondering about the motivation.

• Nparker likes this

#2498 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 12:07 PM

We need to de-industrialize and move to green collar jobs or something. Basically all high paying jobs need to move to China and everyone else will learn to code.

#2499 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,222 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 11:49 AM

Colby Cosh: Alaskan cruise ships' 'Canada problem' is really America's fault

Protectionist U.S. legislation is the reason Alaska's tourist economy was obliterated when Canada closed its ports due to COVID-19

https://nationalpost...-americas-fault

Saturday’s Times-Colonist opened a window onto a miserable sight: desperate American legislators pleading for Canada’s help in saving the state of Alaska from the destructive effects of a pointless U.S. statute. Because of the pandemic, Canada has closed its ports to cruise ships until Feb. 28, 2022. There is no real reason this should stop any American from sailing to Alaska if he can find someone to take him ― but there is the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 (PVSA), which outlaws uninterrupted travel between U.S. ports by “foreign vessels.”

In U.S. maritime law, a “foreign vessel” is any ship flying under some other country’s flag, as nearly all cruise ships in existence do. An American-flagged cruise ship would have to observe U.S. labour laws, be U.S.-owned, and, here’s the hard part, have been built in the U.S. Companies offering Alaska cruises get around the law by making stops in Canadian ports.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 March 2021 - 11:50 AM.

#2500 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 02:47 PM

There is movement in the US government to declare Alaskan ports to be equivalent to a foreign port. This might be permanent which could be rather negative for us. On the other hand I dont miss the flood of tourists personally. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users