Photo

[Marine] Victoria cruise ship industry | Breakwater District/Ogden Point | News / issues

• Please log in to reply
3308 replies to this topic

#3221 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,625 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 09:03 PM

Speaking of Ogden Pt does anyone know what ever became of that proposal envisioned to redevelop the cruise terminal lands? I believe it was Stantec Engineering that initially released a draft paper outlining a vision for that plan perhaps 6-8 years ago. I remember the initial fanfare but since then its disappeared entirely off the radar. Does it still have a pulse or was it just a pie in the sky idea which arrived DOA - anyone know anything in regards?

#3222 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,135 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 09:05 PM

Speaking of Ogden Pt does anyone know what ever became of that proposal envisioned to redevelop the cruise terminal lands? I believe it was Stantec Engineering that initially released a draft paper outlining a vision for that plan perhaps 6-8 years ago. I remember the initial fanfare but since then its disappeared entirely off the radar. Does it still have a pulse or was it just a pie in the sky idea which arrived DOA - anyone know anything in regards?

The Greater Victoria Harbour Authority (GVHA) submitted a request to the City of Victoria Mayor & Council for an extension to the process for the Master Plan for The Breakwater District at Ogden Point.

The request included an extension to the Memorandum of Understanding between GVHA and the City of Victoria to Dec. 31, 2025. This extension will allow GVHA to further develop an overall ‘development narrative’ consistent with the James Bay Neighbourhood Plan (once developed) and pursue appropriate master plan development opportunities that are consistent with GVHA’s 10-Year Strategic Plan.

Within this request for extension, GVHA outlines the need to shift resources away from the development of the Master Plan for The Breakwater District due to investments in environmental priorities.

https://gvha.ca/abou...point-planning/

screenshot-gvha.ca-2023.04.06-01_06_35.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 April 2023 - 09:07 PM.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#3223 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,625 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 09:12 PM

Thanks for that VW; it seems that bullet item # 1 is now resolved given the announcement from the province today re shore power. Carry on........!

#3224 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,135 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 09:25 PM

Thanks for that VW; it seems that bullet item # 1 is now resolved given the announcement from the province today re shore power. Carry on........!

Not so sure federal money is here though.

The total cost and timeline aren’t yet known, but advocates are hoping for federal funding to install shore power at two berths.

#3225 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,593 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 09:32 PM

I suspect some development will be taking place:

This extension will allow GVHA to further develop an overall ‘development narrative’ consistent with the James Bay Neighbourhood Plan (once developed) and pursue appropriate master plan development opportunities…

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3226 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 06 April 2023 - 09:32 AM

Not so sure federal money is here though.

The total cost and timeline aren’t yet known, but advocates are hoping for federal funding to install shore power at two berths.

I've discussed this with relevant ppl. They're making it more complicated than they need to and know it... the financing is childishly simple and, yes, the plan WAS cost recovery in the same way costs are recovered it you build a still in Duncan: hydro requires a deposit for the cap cost, or recovers on your utility bill.

The idea that you and I would pay out of pocket for one of the most successful, tax-sheltered and polluting industries that exist to use shore power was never considered, at least when these plans were hatched. It should not be considered. I've done financial analysis on this industry and they do not need or deserve the taxpayer gift.

What's not reported is this: yes, cruise ships use a lot of diesel to generate all that power but the harbour has acknowledged they will not require ANY commercial, non-cruise ships to plug in. The commercial ships (including that converted container ship the Navy has, Asterix) have the loudest, dirtiest generators because it's assumed they will be at anchor or serviced in an industrial port area. (Not next to the densest pop on Vancouver Island.) They have no plans or timeline for complete shore power.

It's barely a sop.

#3227 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 10:08 AM

Frankly, I would be just as happy if they got rid of the cruise ships altogether. In terms of actual spending they dont leave that many dollars here in town when weighted against the costs and disruption. 

#3228 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,135 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 10:09 AM

Indeed $24 million might be better spent subsidizing a car ferry to Seattle. Every overnight stay is a big money generator, compared to a 4-hour cruise ship visitor.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 April 2023 - 10:10 AM.

• Barrrister likes this

#3229 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,810 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 10:12 AM

Frankly, I would be just as happy if they got rid of the cruise ships altogether. In terms of actual spending they dont leave that many dollars here in town when weighted against the costs and disruption. 

You don't come downtown. How do 6 months of cruise ship visits disrupt your life?

• Matt R. likes this

#3230 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 10:19 AM

Nparker, how does spending millions in tax money that could be put to better use benefit my life. 

But let me rephrase, I believe that it would be better public policy to end cruise ship visits. I personally dont walk down Pandora either so should I also not care about all the druggies on the street?

Your arguments usually are often well made on policy grounds so I am rather surprised about the personalized rebuttal which is something I would expect from people like Alto or Helps.

#3231 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,810 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 11:09 AM

I think cruise ships visits to Victoria offer sufficient benefits that they are worthy of government investment. 

• DavidSchell likes this

#3232 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,810 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 07:40 AM

My cruise eDocs and luggage tags arrived today.  :banana:
Screenshot 2023-04-07 082846.png

• lanforod, todd and Barrrister like this

#3233 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 07:56 AM

^Don’t forget to check your vaccination records :banana:

#3234 LJ

LJ
  • 12,753 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 07:45 PM

You don't need a Sea Pass anymore, they use facial rec now.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3235 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,810 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 07:55 PM

I will also be able to access almost everything I want on board, including the daily itineraries, dining reservations and even the lighting and temperature in my cabin from the Celebrity app on my phone.

#3236 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,135 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 05:20 AM

This coming Tuesday will bring the first cruise ship of a 2023 Victoria season that is projected to welcome 320 vessels and 850,000 visitors.
  • Nparker likes this

#3237 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 09:20 AM

I think cruise ships visits to Victoria offer sufficient benefits

well has there been a study done on this for Victoria that you can quote?

Lots of shopping on the ships, food is usually included on the ship, sometimes not the alcohol. So purchases in town that likely leaves a few small trinkets and a couple drinks at the bar. Then the “tourist traps” which we don’t have that many of anymore

Large volume of people though, they often don’t stay long though

Vancouver embarking and disembarking they’d likely stay a couple nights in a hotel. I suppose we benefit from a healthy Vancouver

#3238 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,135 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 09:25 AM

well has there been a study done on this for Victoria that you can quote?

GTY_Love_boat_ml_141106_16x9_992.jpg

#3239 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 09:31 AM

^See, you’re just a romantic.

#3240 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,810 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 09:31 AM

...Large volume of people though, they often don’t stay long though...

People who, if Victoria makes the effort to market itself properly, may choose to return for longer stays. I have made several extended stays in places I first visited as ports of call on a cruise.

Show me the studies that prove our local tourism industry benefits if cruises stay away from Victoria.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users