Victoria rental housing market and related issues discussion

• Please log in to reply
1896 replies to this topic

#1041 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:22 PM

The NDP have committed monies to the Tenancy Branch that will allow the organization to hire 30 additional staff and launch a task force that identifies and deals with both problem tenants and problem landlords. This is loooooooong overdue.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1042 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:02 PM

Frankly the government has made it difficult to be a landlord, yet there are screaming for more affordable housing.  They can't have their cake and eat it too.  At minimum the cap on rent increases has to go.  I can see landlords saying 20% rent increase to the tenant, oh don't want to pay?  fine the for sale sign goes up tomorrow and here is your eviction notice. 

Don't forget, this is a party whose base screams for "social housing". 

#1043 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:59 PM

There is damage to the apartment insurance, covers damage period.
  • tjv likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1044 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:25 PM

Don't forget, this is a party whose base screams for "social housing". 

It was not no different with the constant changes to the building code which just get passed on to the consumer.  More tenant regulations, the rents are just going to go up.  The mortgage stress test is another example, and now more people are getting pushed into skyhigh mortgages

There needs to be less government/regulations not more!

• VicHockeyFan, rjag and jonny like this

#1045 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:43 PM

There needs to be less government/regulations not more!

Dont say that in front of a 'progressive' unless you have oxygen and a defibrillator!!!

#1046 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:39 AM

The NDP have committed monies to the Tenancy Branch that will allow the organization to hire 30 additional staff and launch a task force that identifies and deals with both problem tenants and problem landlords. This is loooooooong overdue.

Additional resources to deal with problem tenants would be a benefit but methinks they will focus on problem landlords!

#1047 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:29 AM

LandlordBC won’t sit idly by if they try to focus on only one segment. So far the organization is on board with changes implemented but it’s a two way street.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1048 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:48 AM

B.C. government to give more rights and compensation to renovicted tenants Landlords would have to give four months notice of eviction; right of first refusal at market rental rate

MORE:

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-bill-1.4616570

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1049 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:23 PM

Did you notice that there isn't a single provision in there for landlords?  Zero additional tools for getting rind of con artist, professional tenants who game the system, all the while living rent free until a landlord spends thousands of dollars with a bailiff.  And then moves on to its next victim, because RTB refuse to publish arbitration decisions.  God I hate the NDP.  I hated them for screwing me out of my student loans back in the 90s, but this just fans the flames.

• Matt R. and tjv like this

#1050 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:33 PM

As a landlord, I don't see anything wrong with these changes. Renovictions shouldn't be used to get rid of bad tenants. 4 months notice is not a big deal, if you're planning a major reno, you should know well before that when its starting.

Better, more efficient ways of dealing with bad tenants does need to be addressed. but isn't directly related to these changes regarding renovictions.

Edited by lanforod, 12 April 2018 - 01:33 PM.

• Nparker, tedward and shoeflack like this

#1051 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:36 PM

It's hard to know if that will make all that much difference anyway.  I presume almost all tenants moving give just the required 30 or a few more days notice of intent to leave, so it's not like all that many apartments are listed more than 30 days in advance of their availability.

I suppose it gives the evicted person a little more notice to save up some additional funds for their potentially more expensive new place, and coming up with another damage deposit.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1052 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:12 PM

As a landlord, I don't see anything wrong with these changes. Renovictions shouldn't be used to get rid of bad tenants. 4 months notice is not a big deal, if you're planning a major reno, you should know well before that when its starting.

Better, more efficient ways of dealing with bad tenants does need to be addressed. but isn't directly related to these changes regarding renovictions.

Philosophically, it is one less way to get rid of a shitty tenant.  That aside, this in my mind is extremely problematic:

• A first right-of-refusal in multi-unit buildings, at the market rate, when evictions happen because of renovation or repair. 

Who determines what market rate is?  If it's the RTB arbitrator, I see this becoming very contentious.  And then market rent when - pre- or post-renovation?  Will a landlord be penalized if the City takes ages to issue permits and the tenant is without the unit for months on end?  It's entirely unworkable.

#1053 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:25 PM

You might be mis-reading that.  It means the tenant can come back at the new, post-renovation rent.  Let's face it, that's unlikely to occur after they have moved out for 4 or 8 or 12 months.  And that does not apply to your basement suit, only your big rental.

#1054 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:58 PM

I think they'd have a case for arbitration if the offered rent were, say $5k/mo, and they refuse then, then the rent is lowered as no one else would take it...

#1055 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,755 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:17 PM

There was another rehash of the affordable housing funding announcement today.

The B.C. government is investing $1.9 billion over the next decade to build 14,000 affordable rental homes...Horgan said the first units should open within the next couple years...

https://www.cheknews...-decade-440808/

If these projects face the same sort of scrutiny by officialdom as privately funded market developments (you know, projects like Northern Junk or Abstract's 1201 Fort Street proposal) - and there's no reason why they shouldn't - then there seems little chance of anything opening in a couple of years if they haven't already broken ground. 

#1056 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:34 PM

^BC Housing has the right to tell the City to pound salt if they want.  They generally oblige and go thru the process, but once in awhile they will play the card.  I know they are thinking about it on a project in CoV because its taking forever to get their building permit

Its the same with the feds, they don't have to get a municipal building permit, but they still pay the building permit fee and then tell the municipality not to do any inspections.  Its kind of funny watching it happen

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1057 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:38 AM

There was another rehash of the affordable housing funding announcement today.

If these projects face the same sort of scrutiny by officialdom as privately funded market developments (you know, projects like Northern Junk or Abstract's 1201 Fort Street proposal) - and there's no reason why they shouldn't - then there seems little chance of anything opening in a couple of years if they haven't already broken ground. 

Depends how involved BC Housing gets. For the United Church rental project in Richmond, I believe that BC Housing is just one of the financiers, not the developer. Colliers is the consultant on that one, so they're going through all of the usual hoops. 

#1058 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:35 AM

BC Housing will always start going thru the hoops and generally they "play fair".  Officially they don't have to as the Province doesn't recognize city or regional district laws, etc.  Its the same with the feds, they don't recognize Provincial law or below (its the reason they don't pay PST), etc

#1059 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:43 AM

Anyone know what what ongoing follow-up BC Housing does on people they accept for subsidized housing? I am thinbking of the example where someonee gets subsidized due to low income levels but then gets a job at a high salary. From what I hear it is up to the tenant to report the change in their income. 

#1060 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:54 AM

Anyone know what what ongoing follow-up BC Housing does on people they accept for subsidized housing? I am thinbking of the example where someonee gets subsidized due to low income levels but then gets a job at a high salary. From what I hear it is up to the tenant to report the change in their income. 

I think there is a yearly review.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)