BUILT
Mayfair Shopping Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 3147 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 3
Mayfair Shopping Centre in the City of Victoria was expanded by 100,000 square feet in 2018 as part of a high-... (view full profile)
Learn more about Mayfair Shopping Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

[Victoria] Mayfair Shopping Centre | Built in 1963 | Expansion completed in 2018

• Please log in to reply
658 replies to this topic

#401 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:05 AM

I just think Mayfair missed a huge opportunity to bring in something interesting. It's unfortunate that they couldn't get Apple or Amazon, but perhaps that's for reasons out of their control. They could have at least reached out to local brands to bring in retail that deviates from the typical mall fare (ex. Uptown brought in Rogers Chocolates, Flavour, Discovery Coffee, etc.). What about this current selection of stores helps define Mayfair as an interesting destination and differentiate it from Hillside, The Bay Centre, Woodgrove, etc.? Sportchek is already in basically every mall ever. It's already at three other malls in the region.

On the bright side, at least the Douglas Street facade will be more attractive than the former parking lot, making for a nicer drive/bike ride as I head downtown or to Uptown Centre to go shopping!

I've met with Ivanhoe Cambridge (the owners of Mayfair) and their rule is simple and this is direction for an executive "if we haven't heard of you in Toronto you aren't a tenant"

#402 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:12 PM

I told you guys earlier in this thread the "new" Mayfair needs just one thing above all to draw in a whole other demographic that is both numerous all over Greater Victoria (and for that matter the entire island), and spends bucket loads of cash......Bass Pro!   :) 

Bass Pro doesn't really do "urban" stores... just look at where they're located in every other city. Pretty much always at the edge with major highway access. Mayfair probably doesn't tick the right boxes for a Bass Pro/Cabelas.

Ivanhoe Cambridge owns Tsawwassen Mills, so it's not like they're unfamiliar with the brand.

Edited by Jackerbie, 04 August 2018 - 02:14 PM.

#403 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:15 PM

Doesn't seem like anyone who already shop at the nearby malls will have a  good reason to take their business to Mayfair. Maybe there will be price wars...

#404 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 August 2018 - 04:03 PM

I'm sure they've done their marketing research, but I'd guess Chapters (now Indigo) will actually lose business (at least to begin with).

Downtown is a walk-up, completely captive audience ... whereas Mayfair is 100% destination shopping with zero walk-up.

The remainder of the "new" stores are the very face of sheer boredom.

As well, I never once had difficulty parking at Mayfair, even at Christmas ... so I can't even get excited about a few more parking spaces.

#405 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 04:05 PM

Ah... yes!
Sorry forgot about that one because its closed now. Always forgot about it when it was open as well.

Went but there today and it's definitely a Homesense.
  • sdwright.vic likes this

#406 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 05:58 PM

Homesense is on the lower level, Sportchek is on the upper level along with Leons and Staples

#407 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 06:05 PM

^but Sport Check is no longer there. It cost on July 30, 2018. Opening g at Mayfair on August 9, 2018.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#408 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 07:44 PM

ah ok, I knew they were moving I just hadn't been by there in awhile

I've heard nothing about what is going in the former Sport Chek, anyone heard anything?

#409 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:09 PM

I hope a big pile of nothing!

Would be nice to see these stores move elsewhere, like Hillside Mall, Mayfair or Uptown and for this to be redeveloped as mixed housing. Maybe an mid-tier affordable hotel chain, some condos, affordable housing, yadda, yadda. Would also like to see a similar fate for the strip mall closer to downtown with the Wendy’s and other truly random stores.

#410 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:12 PM

I'm sure they've done their marketing research, but I'd guess Chapters (now Indigo) will actually lose business (at least to begin with).

Downtown is a walk-up, completely captive audience ... whereas Mayfair is 100% destination shopping with zero walk-up.

Does this really effect Indigo/Chapters though? As an active customer of their store I have a hard time believing someone is wandering around downtown and thinks "I should go buy a book and carry it around since they don't have bags anymore" when they see the store. There might be some people who happen to be downtown and think "oh yeah this book I wanted just released" and go in but I imagine the same would happen at Mayfair.

#411 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:23 PM

Regarding Mayfair, it will remain the "premiere" shopping mall in Victoria. Stores like Toys R Us, American Eagle, Gap, Banana Republic, Aritzia, Coach and now Indigo and Sportchek are major draws. No other local mall competes. It's not even close.

If I had to guess, stores that may be close to coming to Victoria could be J Crew and Victoria's Secret.

#412 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 August 2018 - 05:52 AM

Does this really effect Indigo/Chapters though? As an active customer of their store I have a hard time believing someone is wandering around downtown and thinks "I should go buy a book and carry it around since they don't have bags anymore" when they see the store. There might be some people who happen to be downtown and think "oh yeah this book I wanted just released" and go in but I imagine the same would happen at Mayfair.

Chapters is full of downtown office/service, etc workers off and on through most of every weekday.

I'm one of them myself ... and see my ilk populating  the downtown store all the time ... year in and year out.

But if I have to get in my car to drive somewhere for a book ... I'm certainly not going to be going to Indigo, I'm going to Bolen Books (and would bet many other Victorians will as well).

As well, while Chapters/Indigo is reducing their magazine rack space substantially ... Bolen Books maintains their original space, and far outshines Chapters for magazine selection.

What also doesn't work for me is the Indigo brand (as opposed to the Chapters brand) includes books almost as a sideline ... with the stores seemingly more focused on acres of "lifestyle" knick knacks.

Mayfair may have once held the title of "premier shopping mall in Victoria" ... but with the addition of a massive flagship Canadian Tire store, the specialty booze store, and a far superior food court ... I'd rate them a solid second to Hillside Mall, even with Mayfairs as yet unfinished expansion.

#413 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:33 AM

But if I have to get in my car to drive somewhere for a book ... I'm certainly not going to be going to Indigo, I'm going to Bolen Books (and would bet many other Victorians will as well).

As well, while Chapters/Indigo is reducing their magazine rack space substantially ... Bolen Books maintains their original space, and far outshines Chapters for magazine selection.

What also doesn't work for me is the Indigo brand (as opposed to the Chapters brand) includes books almost as a sideline ... with the stores seemingly more focused on acres of "lifestyle" knick knacks.

while I already prefer Bolen Books (when school's in session I just walk to Hillside in between classes) Chapters regularly has certain books that Bolen's doesn't list on their site. I was also talking with my friend a while back and he said the new store should be the exact same as the current one (probably with stuff moved slightly) but the name change is due to them launching Indigo stores in the US and wanting to have a potential recognizable name in cities with large volumes of American tourists. I guess they decided since everything in Chapters is pretty much already branded as Indigo it wouldn't make much difference to us if they just changed the name of the store.

#414 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:19 AM

Any word on whether Shoppers Drug Mart will be moving into the vacated Chapters location on Douglas? I apologize in advance for this off-topic post.

#415 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:56 AM

Nothing gets 14-40 year old women fired up like a Canadian Tire, eh Cassidy? lol
  • Matt R. likes this

#416 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:03 AM

I don't know, lots of women I know love that Canadian Tire. It is an awesome store. To be honest I find myself walking Hillside a lot more than Mayfair. Of course parking is easier at Hillside with the Sears still empty. Marshalls is great as well. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#417 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:09 AM

Guys, we're talking about different things. I'm talking about clothes shopping, you're talking about buying a rake. The best clothes store at Hillside is Sportchek.

Hillside is a great community mall, don't get me wrong. But it's a community mall. Mayfair draws people in from Langford, Sooke, Duncan and Nanaimo.

#418 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:10 AM

Nothing gets 14-40 year old women fired up like a Canadian Tire, eh Cassidy? lol

Actually, whenever I'm in the store, there's more women than men prowling the aisles ... especially on weekdays.

Being a flagship store, I'd posit that at least half (if not more) of the contents of the shelves are more oriented to women than they are to men.

Housewares, patio furniture, decor, lighting fixtures, appliances and fancy kitchen and bathroom fixtures.

The Hillside Canadian Tire is far more a family department store than many other self declared "family department stores" in Victoria.

• Nparker and lanforod like this

#419 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:15 AM

For clothes shopping, I usually go to Uptown or Lower Johnson. Maybe once a year I will go to Mayfair to check out the stores but that is it. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#420 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:16 AM

OK so what are the good clothing stores at Hillside? If one had to buy an outfit for a wedding, where would they go?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users