John Luton | Council | Victoria

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:22 PM

John Luton announces run for Victoria City Council

John Luton, Executive Director of the Capital Bike and Walk Society announced today that he is seeking a seat on Victoria City Council in the November 15th civic elections. Luton says he is committed to a triple bottom line approach where he will use his advocacy and management experience to promote an integrated environmental, social and economic vision for the city.

"We need a 'complete streets policy' that ensures our transportation network better accommodates all choices, especially walking and cycling," he said. "We also need LRT to attract more commuters out of their cars and to concentrate development where it makes the most sense."

On sewage treatment Luton supports the resource recovery model that embraces new technologies and small-scale installations to minimize impacts on neighbourhoods and to reduce mega-project traffic.

"Our critical infrastructure should be kept in public hands to take advantage of the resource recovery and revenue generation opportunities that studies show can benefit Victoria and the Capital Region," he said.

Luton also says that the city must "accelerate efforts to house the homeless and expand affordable housing options for young people and renters so that they can stay at home in Victoria".

"Victoria's success and prosperity depends on building a future that is not only sustainable for our environment but also sustains our citizens."

Luton supports a sustainable approach to planning Victoria's future that includes investment in arts and culture facilities, recreation infrastructure and library services to ensure that downtown remains the heart of a vibrant and livable region.

For further information contact John Luton:
250 592-4753 Cell: 250 886-4166 or E-mail

Background information at:
http://johnluton.ca.... bio-index.html
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:07 PM

Seriously, do we need 35 candidates for council?

This is crazy.

#3 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:16 AM

Everybody is entitled to run. We had 28 on the ballot last time.

Regardless, John has done amazing work over the past decades and would do well on council.

#4 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:16 AM

I agree, John would be a good addition to the council.

FWIW, I hope there aren't 28 or 35 names on the ballot this year. As of yesterday afternoon, only the following had filed their papers at city hall:

Sonya Chandler
Christopher Gillespie
Lynn Hunter
Philippe Lucas
John Luton
Chris Munkacsi
Diana Smardon

Maybe some of the previously declared candidates will reconsider after they realize what the job entails.

#5 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:59 AM

By my count, we are at 25 people that are either nominated or have stated they will run for council.

We have six people that have said they will run for mayor.

#6 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • 177 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:06 PM

Well, those three aditional mayoral candidates (Rob Reid, Dean Fortin and Saul Anderson as confirmed candidates who have filed their papers) and 18 or so council candidates only have a few more days to complete a fairly arduous process to just file their nomination papers. Friday at 4pm is the deadline.

#7 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:53 PM

The numbers are growing. As of 3:45 pm today, the names in the running are now ...

For Mayor:

Saul Andersen
Dean Fortin
Rob Reid

For Councillor:

Joseph Boutelier
Sonya Chandler
Christopher Gillespie
Gregory Hartnell
Lynn Hunter
Philippe Lucas
John Luton
Chris Munkacsi
Diana Smardon
Pieta VanDyke

#8 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:29 AM

Still, only 10 candidates for council, with less than three full business days to file nomination papers. If we elect 8 councillors, that makes for a pretty darn good chance at getting elected, as of this point at least. I am certain there will be more that will file papers, but some may have changed their mind as well.

#9 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:31 PM

Where'd Rob Randall in that list?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#10 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:42 PM

Wayne Hollohan is on the council list now, too.

Ah, yes, where is Rob? And where are the incumbents? Are some of them reconsidering?

Good to have a little suspense, I suppose.

#11 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:31 PM

The other 50% of council candidates (some unnanounced) will register at 4:29 on Friday. Guaranteed ;)

It's also important to note that there are very few returning councilors on the list right now. We can be sure that they'll register at leisure as a trip to city hall requires no special prep for them. Infact, Chris Coleman was in the elections office when I registered the other day.

#12 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:34 PM

Well, if the other 50% show up at 4:30, they'll be too late. The city's Election 2008 website says the deadline is 4 pm!

#13 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:56 PM

Pam Madoff is on the list as of today.

#14 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:25 PM

Ah, yes, where is Rob? And where are the incumbents? Are some of them reconsidering?

Good to have a little suspense, I suppose.

I'm filing tomorrow afternoon.

I ran into Charlayne Thornton-Joe this afternoon at Centennial Square (she was putting up City posters outside the Centennial Square washrooms). She said she's filing her papers tomorrow too.

Sorry, I'll stop hi-jacking John's thread. I met up with him at last week's Federal All-Candidates meeting on homelessness and housing affordability.

#15 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:01 AM

Well, if the other 50% show up at 4:30, they'll be too late. The city's Election 2008 website says the deadline is 4 pm!

Well it's good I didn't show up on Friday - I thought it was 4:30 ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users