Nick Baker | Victoria | Council

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:58 PM

Please discuss Nick Baker's candidacy in this thread.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 victoriaguy

victoriaguy
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:08 PM

I'm really intrigued by this candidate. He is young, a small-business owner downtown and lives in the downtown core as well.

I read his responses to the Victoria Chamber of Commerce questions and found him to be well-informed.

#3 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:51 PM

From the Victoria Chamber of Commerce website, Nick Baker writes:

I am a resident and small business owner downtown. This makes me quite intimate with our issues around homelessness, drugs, vandalism, and related problems plaguing our downtown.

I was born and raised in Victoria, returning after a few years in Vancouver and Montreal. I have a diploma in Information Technology, working as a computer programmer back east before the DotCom bubble burst. I returned home to further my education, majoring in Sociology at UVic; in 2006, my business partner and I opened our studio in the Upper Fort Street area (Antique Row).

I decided to run for council to give voice to small residents and business owners who are tired of watching their neighbourhoods deteriorate. I feel council has lost the trust of the people from the needle exchange fiasco and other recent scandals, and believe the only way to rectify this is through complete transparency of council and its business.

I feel we have the means within our budget and communities to take action on homelessness and its associated problems now as opposed to in two years. With a re-prioritizing of our budget (which currently allocates only 1/3 of 1% toward homelessness!) we can accomplish our goals with no increase in taxation.

Lastly, I want to see greater representation of all of our diverse communities within the municipal process.

To see his response to the Chamber questions click on this link.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:42 AM

Candidates barred from next election

Victoria News
Published: April 24, 2009 3:00 PM
Updated: April 27, 2009 5:15 PM

Four Victoria council candidates and one mayoral candidates failed to file their financial disclosure documents by the deadline. That means they're disqualified from running in any campaign for city council, school board or trustee for Islands Trust until after the next municipal election.

Kristen Woodruff, Robert Allington, Nick Baker, Allen Jones and Jonathan Le Drew all failed to file their paperwork on time
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users