Photo

Privacy rights of street people

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:02 PM

I refer to Susan's suggestion that the current system, which I support, of trained professionals in custody rather than family members will lead to a Chainsaw massacre scenario.

That is completely not what I said.

I was referring to your comments that families wanting to care for their addict children are suspects - and the picture you paint of addicts being locked in basements for months, bedroom doors being set on fire, gang rapes by insane family members and mothers boyfriend's....THAT is what I said SOUNDS like a script treatment for a sequel to the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Also I do not advocate "violence" or "kidnappings". I speak of, and would hope for a return to, a saner time when touching another human being, even a hug from a teacher, or a neighbour, did not automatically sound abuse sirens. And ordering your child into the car and restraining them if they had a hypodermic needle in their arm - or a "John" waiting in his car at the corner - was not considered kidnapping, as it is by our current laws.

Attacking and misquoting has a way of stopping new ideas being openly discussed. So on that one - you win. Whatever that means to you.

#22 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:18 PM

OK, I understand now what you were trying to say - thank you for clarifying. It was a rather inflammatory statement,and I misread it. As far as families being suspect, I am not suggesting that every addict's family is, or was, dysfunctional to the point of abuse. However, I would argue that there is a higher incident of family dysfunctionality to the point of abuse in the addict community than among the rest of the world. Would you disagree?

As far as my script treatments - these are true life incidents I'm citing, not "a product of my fertile imagination" as it were. Sorry if it sounds like a movie to you or anyone else. Sadly, truth is often stranger than fiction.

I am NOT saying that every family should be treated as suspect. However, I am pointing out that it is equally dangerous to assume that every family that produced an addict is a perfect, loving environment to which the adult addict should be remanded into custody for their own good.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#23 ted - 3 - dots

ted - 3 - dots

Banned

• Banned
  • 187 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:24 PM

That is completely not what I said.

I was referring to your comments

( sorry ) snip & clip

Attacking and misquoting has a way of stopping new ideas being openly discussed. So on that one - you win. Whatever that means to you.

----- sorry ----- Quit it ------- both of you are very correct -----------

It's important to the people who read these blogg's , to see what your question is ...!

some - people , never comment ... ! ( not me )
but when they see a question that "they'd be asking" , being possed ...?

well what can I say ...

ted...

:{-

( I keep thinking Lous Pasture ) and his fight to convince people ,
to LOOK for something they can't really see ... ?

and how society can benifit , from discovering the "un-knowen" ...!

#24 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:18 PM

First I agree there is a higher incident of family-of-origin problems in a large part of the addict community. But hope you can also agree that sometimes teens and young adults fall prey to drug dealers and pimps and it can lead to isolation to the point of estrangement from those who truely care about them. Making it hard or impossible to get info from the state or doctor is a problem in those cases.

As for the movie reference - I realize it was trivializing and that could cause offence. Sorry for getting emotional - its one of those subjects (like religion and politics) that can really get people stirred up and polarized. But still better then avoiding the topic(s). Good to air our misunderstandings (and a great excuse for a snowball fight! :))

#25 Chris J

Chris J
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:11 AM

Can we move this discussion to another thread? It seems to have evolved into something other than the rights of homeless people to set up tents.

#26 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:38 AM

Yes, sorry! Moved now.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users