Photo

The Unbottle Map! Jurisdictions that do, or may soon, ban bottled water

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 05:37 PM

What about the pollutants from the factories that produce the pipe that brings the water all the way from the reservoir to your home? And the pollution caused by the excavator digging the trench to insert the pipes? And the smoke caused by the vehicle that the excavator driver used to get to work?

Some would argue that pipes for homes are an essential for a basic quality of life - like heating and electricity.
Picking up a 24 pack of bottled water at the local Cosco, is not.

#22 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:04 PM

There are many types of pop out there and I haven't heard on that is a contributor to disease directly. No more than any other types of garbage food out there whether it's solid or liquid.

There really isn't much nutrients in water either. I've read no more than 1 supplement pill per glass but I guess compared to a pop that seems like a lot.

I guess the main reason why I'm responding is I do not agree the that the government should be allowed to ban anything. If I want to enjoy a pop then I should have that right. Pop isn't hurting you. It's not like you'll get lung cancer when I drink a pop next to you. Why should someone control something that I enjoy now and then.

I also enjoy bottled water. Like hell if I'm going to put my lips anywhere NEAR a public water fountain. Have you seen some of the people walking around loose these days? I'm sorry but the fear for Hep and other viruses doesn't make me want to put my lips near those.

I'll stick to bottled water. They can removed "bottled water" off the shelves when they eliminate all type of plastic packaging altogether. Stop targeting one source, it's silly.

Of course they shouldn't ban pop. I'm not positioning myself that way. It was more meant as a statement that might begin with "If I were king..."

But pop is a terrible thing to drink. Every bottle of coke has 18 teaspoons of sugar. Sugar is the leading cause of many diseases.
Diet Coke is worse. Aspartame has been linked to many serious health issues. Honestly, why drink that ****? Just drink beer instead. It tastes good, it's relaxing and it actually has health benefits consumed in moderation. There are NO benefits to drinking most pops.
And sure there aren't many nutrients in water - except that we need it to live. ;) But I digress.

Look, this whole argument falls back to the same old theme of how comfortable we are with government control within our everyday lives.
It is a truly futile argument. I know from experience.

I just think bottled water is a sin of our society. Like plastic bags, massive suvs, or leaving you lights on all night. But like I said, that's just me. I just make sure my lips aren't actually touching metal when I drink from a fountain, and it works fine for me.

I think plastic water bottles are an example of something that threatens our existence - you people see this government control thingy as an even bigger threat.

So be it.

#23 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:44 PM

Toronto bans water bottles
Canwest News Service
Published: Wednesday, December 03, 2008
TORONTO - Toronto City Council voted on Tuesday to ban the sale of plastic water bottles on all municipal premises from City Hall to golf courses by 2011.

http://www.canada.co...html?id=1027243

Hardly the whole city.

#24 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:41 PM

They can't ban Coke - a couple of teaspoons of Coke Classic in any beef dish creates a wonderful smoky caramel sweetener and tenderizer.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#25 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:10 PM

They can't ban Coke - a couple of teaspoons of Coke Classic in any beef dish creates a wonderful smoky caramel sweetener and tenderizer.

You just published a very secret 'carbonade' recipe - when Canadian troops arrived in Belgium in 1944, up the Kortrijk to Brugge road, they had US supplied cola to give to the locals. That was used to make the standard Flanders stew - normally any meat in beer, cooked low and slow. Served with either fries or mashed 'tats'.

#26 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:26 AM

You just published a very secret 'carbonade' recipe - when Canadian troops arrived in Belgium in 1944, up the Kortrijk to Brugge road, they had US supplied cola to give to the locals. That was used to make the standard Flanders stew - normally any meat in beer, cooked low and slow. Served with either fries or mashed 'tats'.

Thank you for that piece of trivia. I had no idea.

#27 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:39 PM

Damn I thought I invented it!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users