Photo

Christmas in Victoria?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 11:45 PM

Since we moved to Victoria in 2005 we have done an annual tour of the 'Christmas lights' in Gordon Head and Uplands - also attended the Oak Bay Santa Parade and numerous school events. This year is heralds a marked difference.

Of the 23 houses we can see from our front door, only 3 have Xmas lights, last year all but 3 were lit. Tour through Gordon Head and maybe one in 5 houses have lights up, or even a wreath on the door.

The TC used to publish a list of the best houses to see - not this year.

Is this the general mood? are most neighbourhoods witnessing the same?

#2 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:00 AM

Good riddance to that tacky rubbish. A few tasteful lights here and there are fine, but the people who decide the best way to celebrate the holidays is by wasting thousands on tacky decorations and electricity just kinda make me sick.

If you're into that sort of stuff though the little dead end street behind the fairfield thrifty foods always goes nuts together.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#3 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:15 AM

Is this the general mood? are most neighbourhoods witnessing the same?

This is definately starting to look like an 'un-Christmas'. There are no houses lit up in our neighbourhood either - and we haven't picked up a tree yet. Not even sure if we will. Our neighbour who has a jewellery business downtown mentioned today that his sales are down 50% from same time last year.

I'm personally looking forward to a less consumerfied, simpler time. Really what its all about anyway - once you strip back the tinsel and mechanical reindeer.

But for those with young children its going to be hard to satisfy expectations based on past years when the economy did not steal Christmas like the Grinch.

#4 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:11 AM

If you're into that sort of stuff though the little dead end street behind the fairfield thrifty foods always goes nuts together.

Last year one the them was mentioned in the press for having an electricty bill that exceeded a thousand dollars for the month of Dec.

Candles are always nice.

#5 Vic Skyscraper Fan

Vic Skyscraper Fan
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 02:30 AM

The Christmas light route was posted in the TC today.

#6 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:25 AM

Last year, there was a worthwhile display at Royal Bay, off Wishart. We did a drive around to view.

I am not feeling Christmas this year, either. There are some Christmas teddies out, and some white lights on the shrubbery at the front of the house. Haven't done any baking, sent off one present so far. No poinsettia, don't feel like putting up a tree (we're going to friends for dinner on the big day), and haven't sent any cards. I'm lame.

Plus I still have to get a present for my husband. Eek!

#7 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:42 AM

Oak Bay is pretty lit up. I'm doing a simple Christmas this year too. Money to Charity instead of presents for the grownups. Even our solstice celebrations are pared down. Nothing to do with the economy though - it is more about the snow.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#8 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:54 AM

Nothing to do with the economy though - it is more about the snow.

I'm sure the retail businesses will see a slump when they tally up their Christmas season profits this year. I wonder which one they'll blame. Economy or snow.

#9 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:06 PM

Plus I still have to get a present for my husband. Eek!

Speaking of which - heard an elderly (depression era) couple on CBC the other morning saying they only gift each other a 'used' book every christmas. Spend hours/days looking through bookstores for the perfect one.

This year we've decided to do the same. My 20 something kids feel a big weight lifted as well - and are actually talking amongst each other about interests and favourite authors.

Simple - but substantive.The turkey and hot rum is the only non negociable item. :)

#10 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 02:36 PM

Oak Bay is pretty lit up.

No, we are never 'lit up'. That is our problem.

I wonder which one they'll blame. Economy or snow.

Both, because they can't resist using the cliché 'the perfect storm'. 'The perfect storm' is my 'carbuncle'.

#11 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:28 PM

I am going to lit.

It is plenty busy out there today.

#12 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:29 PM

I'm celebrating Festivus. Anyone want to challenge me in the Feats Of Strength?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#13 davek

davek
  • 670 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 05:27 PM

^ Not me. I just talk big.

I am, however, willing to listen to you during the Airing of Grievances...

#14 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 06:07 PM

Speaking of which - heard an elderly (depression era) couple on CBC the other morning saying they only gift each other a 'used' book every christmas. Spend hours/days looking through bookstores for the perfect one.

I'm on it! He's getting two books, all to be wrapped, even though (gasp!) he's not really a reader. Well, he doesn't read fiction, but he's getting the latest Uncle John's Bathroom Reader (which he loves) and the Bill Richardson book that I heard about on CBC. My husband will have no idea who Bill Richardson is, but the book looked interesting.

I wanted to get him a big fluffy bathrobe to replace the one I stole about seven years ago. I dreamed I got him a Wii, which he ended up loving. I checked when I woke up, and he doesn't want a Wii. That will save some money. :)

If I make it in to work, I'll walk over to the Bay at Mayfair and peruse men's robes and stuff on Monday night. I imagine the mall will be open. Right? Right?

#15 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:40 PM

If I make it in to work, I'll walk over to the Bay at Mayfair and peruse men's robes and stuff on Monday night. I imagine the mall will be open. Right? Right?

You can bet they'll be open till 9 or 10 pm right through till Christmas Eve.

Last year Wallmart was open 24 hrs a day in Dec. Wonder how long befoe we start hearing about big box store closures (not that I would mind one bit).

#16 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:49 PM

We ended up in Wal-Mart tonight. It was extremely... depressing.

#17 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:32 PM

We ended up in Wal-Mart tonight. It was extremely... depressing.

Is Walmart anything other than depressing, at any time of the year? Costco is just as bad.

#18 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:26 PM

Is Walmart anything other than depressing, at any time of the year? Costco is just as bad.

I don't find Costco nearly as depressing. Wal-Mart was dirty and disorganised, with lots of gaps on the shelves (maybe sales are good this week) and lots of people who didn't look like they were doing too well, income-wise. The "grocery" section depresses me, too--so little actual food, and so much processed crap, junk food, and insta-food. It just seemed really "Wal-Mart" tonight, full of cheap, shoddy junk and hyper little kids out too late at night.

#19 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:57 PM

The "grocery" section depresses me, too--so little actual food, and so much processed crap, junk food, and insta-food.

Yes, there's just something about case lot sales of pressed ham to drive you straight to Lifestyles Market.

#20 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:37 AM

As I avoid Walmart on point of principle, is there really such a huge difference in price for basic foods (and quality to match) compared to Fairways or Safeway?

To get back on the thread topic - one must say the pristine white of the snow in our area is almost spiritual. Despite the problems we may see over the next few days with road conditions and potential power problems, it is wonderful to have a white Christmas. (after 3 rum toddies anything looks good - shoveling the driveway tomorrow while semi-hungover I will wonder why :()

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users