Photo

[Fairfield] 1827 Fairfield | 3-storeys | Built - completed in 2009

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:15 PM

There used to be a Mt Royal Bagel retail location across from Marg Jenkins school on Fairfield Rd, next to the old pharmacy, I was over at the folks place for dinner and had them asking if I knew what was being built in that location. Mt Royal has been gone for some years now, and the building was torn down at least a couple years ago, there has been a lot of forming and foundation activity going on there in the past few weeks apparently. Any idea what is going in here?

#2 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:07 AM

GumGum and I both commented on this project in the middle of Page 2 in this [thread=1918]Fairfield discussion[/thread]. The project (1827 Fairfield Road) doesn't have it's own thread.

The blurb from the sales brochure says:

The subject property has been approved and issued a Development Permit by the City of Victoria for a mixed use development of Five (5) townhomes ranging in size from 1,559 to 1,758 sq.ft. and a 898 sq.ft. commercial unit on the main floor. Bicycle and storage lockers have also been designed on the main floor. The plans for the development feature eight (8) under building parking stalls with access and egress off of Fairfield Road.

#3 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:36 AM

As the building was being deconstructed, three local artists used the half-demolished building as a temporary art exhibit titled Reconstructing Deconstruction:

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:26 PM

^ yeah that was a cool event and free wine to boot!

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:56 PM

D'ambrosio Architecuture + Urbanism has released new renderings of this project.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:40 AM

Looks really nice!

#7 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:52 AM

Don't know why there's patio furniture in the front. It's all garages along the front.
A friend of mine lives in the house behind this one and mentioned to me that the land owner had promised retail along the front. Turns out to be a bit of BS.

#8 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:54 AM

^At least they look like garages in person.

Even if they're retail, the bloody thing is setback so far, it will do little to nothing as for the streetscape.

#9 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:42 AM

Yet another example of a big setback on a new building that doesn't jive with the minimal setback on adjacent older buildings.

Are we going to keep on making this mistake forever?

#10 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:35 PM

It looks to me like that is just supposed to be a reflection of the silver car off a store-front window (one that is maybe 30 degrees to the street?).

This sort of setback doesn't seem to egregious to me if it is meant to accommodate street-front patios. Its only about 6' or so. I'd be more concerned about them getting real retail at that location.

#11 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:15 PM

^ It looks like a huge setback (where the patio umbrellas are), with a drive-through passage where the car is exiting on the right of the building. The drive-through, you'll remember, has to be there because this development has a separate building behind it, with a garden space inbetween the 2 new buildings. See rendering #3 on the DAU link.

The car in the rendering here is exiting from a very slightly below-grade parking area, over top of which the two buildings and their greenspace are built. (At least that's what it looks like from the drawing.)

I agree that the setback is ugly. The building right next door is nice and tight to the street, and the new building's set-back ruins that streetfront. (IMO)
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#12 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:09 PM

This is under construction btw.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:11 PM

Thanks.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:25 PM

Is that supposed to be retail on the ground floor?

#15 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:15 PM

The car in the rendering here is exiting from a very slightly below-grade parking area, over top of which the two buildings and their greenspace are built. (At least that's what it looks like from the drawing.)

That's not below grade.

Like I said, all indications are that there will be no retail. The setback is just over a car length, the openings are exactly the same size as most single width garage doors - and the same height. I would say it's very unlikely there will be retail.
I should add that my friend whom lives in the house behind is a contractor and came to the same conclusion.

I should mention that this building is already fully built up.

#16 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:25 PM

Dup thread.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:32 AM

Thanks, Holden. The two threads have now been merged.

Know it all.

#18 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:36 PM

That's not below grade.

Ah, yes, the parking is below grade. In the minutes of the council meeting of Thursday, April 27, 2006, Frank D’Ambrosio discussed the "submerged parking area" and how the access ramp affected the height of the patios above.

Like I said, all indications are that there will be no retail....I would say it's very unlikely there will be retail.

In the same minutes, the project is described as "construction of five townhouse units in two groups with commercial floor space at the street level facing Fairfield Road." The Colliers sale literature for the property that was circulated in the summer of 2007 also mentions "a 898 sq.ft. commercial unit on the main floor".

It looks like a huge setback (where the patio umbrellas are), with a drive-through passage where the car is exiting on the right of the building.

The variances granted at the public hearing included a "front yard setback relaxed from 6.0m to 1.0m". (I assume the previous storefronts were non-conforming.)

A little research would go along way before forming an opinion.

#19 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:54 PM

^ Thanks for the details, Funky. But re. the setback: it looks like a lot more than 1.0m in the renderings, as far as I can tell. Maybe it's 1.0m for the second floor? But the ground floor looks hugely set back, otherwise how come so much of the old building's wall shows in the rendering, and the chairs/ tables/ umbrellas aren't on the sidewalk, they're in the setback.

Maybe the rendering isn't accurate/ up to date, but the storefront/ retail looks far back.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#20 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:02 AM

A little research would go along way before forming an opinion.

Alright, no need to get snooty.

I did say that it was based on what I had seen in person. That's more "research" than most others had done.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users