Pacific View, phase 1
Use: condo
Address: 300 Belmont Road
Municipality: Colwood
Region: West Shore
Storeys: 4
Condo units: (2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Pacific View is a two phased condo project in the municipality of Colwood in Victoria's Westshore region.... (view full profile)
Learn more about Pacific View, phase 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Colwood] Pacific View condos | 4- & 4-storeys | Phase 1 built; phase 2 approved

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:55 PM

While I agree that we do not want forests ripped down in the name of SFDs I also do not really see too much value in these suburban highrises. They are going to contribute to car dependance in the same way that all the SFDs do. Yes they take up much less room but I would much rather see quality highrise development in the core so that people would not have to drive.

Also Seattle is not a good city to emulate as they have a relatively small downtown population and perhaps some of the most congested streets around outside Los Angeles.

While I agree we need to stop looking to see what Vancouver is doing I also think we need to take a good hard look at what we are doing. Seriously the 41 storey tower is not going to built but if it were I would not be happy about it. I mean how long ago was the 17 storey tower approved like a year ago and still nothing. This is just some way of increasing land values not anything to do with actually building buildings.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#22 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:10 PM

Then again Scaper, I can't remember the last time I heard anybody gushing about how beautiful Calgary or Halifax were. Vancouver and Victoria have tended to trade in building heights that are a fair bit lower than their respective populations would dictate, it's true. But then Vancouver and Victoria are also known far and wide for the attractiveness of their respective cityscapes. Is it a coincidence? I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

I have no desire to see Victoria or Vancouver end up looking like Calgary or Halifax or any other place.

As for Nanaimo, that tall building is going to look absolutely stupid. It's totally out of context and I strongly suspect little Nanaimo has itself in a bind on this one. If the developer comes to the city again and says it needs another ten stories, what are they going to do? Refuse? They can't refuse, because the alternative is a tiny downtown with a gigantic hole in it.

I mean, at certain times of the day the shadow of that building going up in Nanaimo will cover more ground beyond the edge of downtown Nanaimo than it will cover within downtown itself. That's just silly. As small as it was, Nanaimo had a real downtown. But the powers that be there just weren't patient enough to wait 100 years to see it develop properly, naturally. Now they're risking ruining what they did have to try to emulate some generic large city concept. It could backfire. A very tall building in a very small city won't make the small city feel any bigger. It'll just stick out like a sore thumb.

Nanaimo desperately wants an identity, an image to sell. That Beacon highrise is featured in the official Nanaimo tourist publication something like seven or eight times. I believe they should have tried to pad their core with a good range of buildings at various heights. I'm convinced it would have been a better way to develop a recognizable and memorable image for the city.

In Langford's case, they're trying to build a totally new context. Nobody has them by the balls. Thus, if they want to go this taller/fewer route then I suppose it's their business. As a Victorian I would have preferred to see two or three shorter buildings out there than one very tall one.

#23 Jarrod

Jarrod
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:48 PM

Scaper, you said that we shouldn't look at Vancouver for ideas pretty much, and that we should look at the likes of Seattle and Calgary. Well, considering that Seattle (pop:573,911 Metro: 3,806,000) Portland (Pop:533,000 Metro:2,127,000) and Minneapolis (Pop:382,000 Metro:2,900,000) are all trying to emulate Vancouver. And Vancouver has become the new standard of what a downtown should be, and they have these towers which maybe short, but they're there for a reason at that height. Truly, I would hate to see something over 700ft in Van. That goes for Victoria too. We need to emulate something like that, not just build something tall just for the sake of building tall. I don't want forests and sides of mountains ripped up for SFD, and I would like towers to replace them, but something that high in a suburb is a shame.

The Michelle also has no character to it. It looks like it's just a generic glass tower

#24 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:14 PM

Good points Jarrod.

We have to remember that there will always be demand for SFD's regardless of how many condo's go on the market. Yes, height will reduce demand for land - for highrises - but the market for SFD is a completely different facet.
Sure condos create a culture of people realizing that backyards and basements are overated, but there will always be people whom love SFD's, have kids, pets, a woodworking hobby, whatever. Sure, all of those things can be compromised when living in a condo, but you'd have to be pretty devoted to your cause to reducing sprawl if you have three kids, a dog, a cat and live in a 2 bedroom condo that's probably going to cost you close to 500 G's anyway.

#25 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:34 PM

I just talked to a friend...a bigger (taller) building is being planned above this one on Ocean Bullevard.

43 stories...I will ask if I can post it and the developer etc.

at least they will be planned to stand together.

#26 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:38 PM

O.K. developer is Russ Ridley. He is determined to build the tallest building. :-D

#27 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 10:45 PM

Eventually the west comms will be known all over Canada. They'll be known as that crazy-assed suburb of Victoria with all of the supertall buildings.

Better than not being known at all.

#28 Jarrod

Jarrod
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 10:48 PM

*cough*

#29 HOMBRE

HOMBRE
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:27 AM

there is still the rumored 42 er in the area surrounding can west mall somewhere aswell

3 over 40 floors, now thats what i call a development push

#30 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 06:29 AM

That is what I call a group of land owners pushing up their land values. Not going to happen.

It has a whole new look!

#31 hungryryno

hungryryno
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 11:05 AM

I think this push to go up is more serious than a lot of us think. Even as the real estate markets start to cool in North America, Vic and Van are still high in demand to people all over the world. It's not just the olympics that has caused this. Victoria and Vancouver are probably the nicest two cities close to one another in the world. Ten years ago I remember reading an article in a travel magazine stating in this particular year Vancouver was the 4th most visited city in the world and Victoria was the 7th. We are quite possibly the greatest one-two punch around. And our real estate market reflects this.
I do not mind WestCom building these high-rises, as long as the are architectually pleasing to the eyes and they are somewhat grouped together... the latter probably won't happen with two municipalities both wanting to build up. And you can allready see that in Langford, as a 20-storey is approved for Sooke / Jacklin and 15-storey for Jacklin / Station.

Victoria neesd to wake up and allow higher buildings, it is already looking like a wall. Chateau Vic - 18, Executive House - 17, Marriott - 16, Astoria - 21, Belvedere - 15?, Falls Vic - 14 & 18. All in 2 square blocks!

We need some above 25, I hope the old Bay condos are approved, so there is some differential.

#32 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 11:22 AM

there is also the crystal courts coming too, possibly going to be the new tallest downtown.

#33 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 11:26 AM

I have serious doubts about anything over 16 storeys being approved at the Crystal Court location. Maybe but since James Bay gets to have their say on this than they will certainly come out screaming. I think that we can expect the motel to sit there until something along the lines of Aria is suggested there.

It has a whole new look!

#34 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 11:33 AM

this property will most likely become part of Downtown in the next two years.

Also people (residences) can have as much punch as this community association. IT all comes down to public support.

#35 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 11:33 AM

and what they are willing to give for the extra height and density.

#36 HOMBRE

HOMBRE
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 11:49 AM

i would be happy at 18 story building there however that even seems like a push, despite having quite a few in that range

#37 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 06:27 PM

that's why I want something taller, I ate a flat skyline. I hope it comes in at over 20 at the end....Word has it that it's something cool!

#38 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 06:45 PM

that's why I want something taller, I ate a flat skyline. I hope it comes in at over 20 at the end....Word has it that it's something cool!

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#39 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 06:53 PM

hahahhahahhaa that's awesome hahahahaahahaa

Oh my....that was so funny!!! hahaha....good one!!! :lol:

#40 hungryryno

hungryryno
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:16 PM

Anyone have any links for this Crystal Courts development??? Is this where I think it is? Belleville between Blanshard & Douglas? Or is it the old hooker hangout on Hillside between Nanaimo St. and Douglas?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users