Photo

Are viewcones a useful tool?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Poll: Are viewcones useful? (1 member(s) have cast votes)

Are viewcones useful?

1. Yes, they help landmarks stay landmarks. (12 votes [60.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. No, if you want to look at something stand in front of it! (8 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:32 PM

No can do. But I can put a 16-story building on Chard's property.

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:53 PM

Somebody please forward that to mayor and council.

Does anyone see the problem with that? No? Didn't think so.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:02 PM

I will, but the house is 22 stories, do you think that is what a 16 story building would look like? or would it be taller?

#24 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:03 PM

So call it 14 or 15. Even better.

#25 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:18 PM

:)
Thanks for these photo shops Aastra!!

by the way
I sent it with a very good letter to Our Lovely Mayor!! :)

I also sent it to David Chard too...with also a very nice letter:)

Cheers all.

#26 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 12:38 PM

Calling the Bank of Commerce Building a "massively scaled concrete tower," Seggers (p.97, Exploring Victoria's Architecture) writes that it "suffocates View Street and masks out from numerous directions one of Victoria's major skyline features, the diaphanous polychrome spire of St. Andrew's Cathedral."

"Suffocate," "diaphanous" -- pretty clear what he's getting at, regardless of the weasel words that don't come right out to say it.

As for view cones, I can't see the "diaphanous" (huh?) spire of St. Andrew's, even though from where I'm sitting right now, it's in front of the CIBC Bldg. (i.e., between the "massively scaled concrete tower" and me). I think a "massively scaled" Douglas Fir is blocking my view of the diaphanous spire. But I can see the CIBC Bldg, and best of all, I can see the Sussex Bldg., which looks divine (like a cathedral) when the rising sun strikes its east facade. As far as I'm concerned, those highrises are my excellent view(cone).

PS: I didn't vote, b/c I can't really decide one way or the other. I think viewcones are useful, but only as a general tool for orchestrating an interesting street.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#27 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 04:07 PM

BTW, for those of you without a PhD, "diaphonous polychrome" means intricate and multicoloured.

The Cathedral marks the southern pole of what the Hallmark Society once called the "Heritage Axis"--the Synagogue being the northern pole. They claimed the construction of the Juliet condo drastically affects the view of the spire, although the view down Blanshard street was actually ruined half a century ago by the Carnegie extension. If you're coming south on Blanshard, the spire is only briefly glimpsed now anyway.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#28 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:41 AM

That lowrise office block across from the Ministry of Health is the prime culprit re: blocked views of St. Andrew's. But then what are we suggesting? That people are congregating on the corner of Fisgard and Blanshard to take in views of the cathedral? It's ridiculous.

#29 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:37 PM

Apply view corridors / cones to nature...what image comes to your mind?

#30 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:47 PM

A clearing in the woods? A valley between mountains? A painting by Claude Lorrain?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#31 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:06 PM

#32 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 04:22 PM

Great examples! (love the pictures!!)....
so the question was....are viewcones a useful tool?

In each nature-case put forward are they useful?

To me, yes they are, to others maybe not-so-much.

Did nature intend them to be a 'tool'? Possibly, but how?

How could nature have intended them to be a tool? for what purpose?

The structures we create, the buildings we construct mimic nature in many ways.
(IMHO).

At the end of the day, we layer; layer-on-layers of buildings, creating a depth of view and those view-scapes change daily be it a new building, an old one removed or a cloud passing by or the sun full blaze. Cones and Corridors.....great subject to capture in pictures.

Another project! yah you guys!!!

#33 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 04:54 PM

Living in Shangri-La

Amid a development nightmare, an opulent paradise opens its doors

By John Mackie, Canwest News ServiceJanuary 24, 2009

Cheng said it was a challenging project, because the site was constrained by the city's "view corridor" policy, which stipulates that mountain views must be retained from certain areas.

"We have a site 700 feet long, and we could only build on the last 100 feet of it for the tall building," says Cheng, who has designed several high-profile skyscrapers in Vancouver.

"A large part of the look is formed by the view cone."

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#34 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:26 AM

At the end of the day, we layer; layer-on-layers of buildings, creating a depth of view and those view-scapes change daily be it a new building, an old one removed or a cloud passing by or the sun full blaze. Cones and Corridors.....great subject to capture in pictures.

The DRA advocated a change to the massing of The Falls that opened up a view toward the Chateau Victoria hotel. Many saw this as preserving the harbour view from the Chateau's Vista 18 lounge but we also saw the benefit of being able to see the Chateau through the V-opening between the Falls' towers.

#35 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:20 AM

^ Really?

Anything that can hide that monstrosity is a good thing in my mind.

#36 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:34 AM

Aesthetic weaknesses aside, there was no benefit to walling it off.

#37 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:39 AM

[Vancouver] City Planners take new look at urban vistas

The Globe and Mail

Unlike Calgary, which lost its chance to preserve views of the Rockies 25 years ago, or Toronto, which has allowed a highway plus a wall of condo towers to go up between the city and its lake, Vancouver set an aggressive policy almost two decades ago to protect more than two dozen designated view corridors.

But now the city is entertaining re-examining that controversial policy, one that has its fierce defenders and its equally fierce critics, especially the architects who have had to slice off or squish parts of buildings to make them fit around the corridors.

And the city's head planner is signalling that he's definitely open to change.

"I've got a serious appetite for shifting those view corridors," says Brent Toderian, a former Calgary planner hired two years ago, who has been working hard to set new directions in a city famous for its urban planning. "The view corridors have been one of the most monumental city-shaping tools in Vancouver's history but they need to be looked at again. We have a mountain line and we have a building line where that line is inherently subjective."

#38 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:45 AM

or Toronto, which has allowed a highway plus a wall of condo towers to go up between the city and its lake,

What the hell?

What was Toronto to do exactly build a subterrenean city? How would you protect views of the lake from the other side of downtown exactly?

Just an example of how ridiculous AND subjective the discussion of view cones is.

#39 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:12 AM

You know, because the folks working in the skyscrapers of downtown Toronto had wonderful views of the lake before, whereas now there are some midrise and highrise apartment buildings a fraction of the height of those skyscrapers that are sort of in the way.

I think the Calgary example is even sillier. Views of the Rockies...from where? I suppose Calgary's skyline is so gigantic that it's actually blocked out views of the Rockies from everywhere? Maybe we need viewcones to preserve views of the moon? It's possible for a building to block a particular view of the moon.

#40 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:46 AM

some people can't see two inches beyond their nose

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users