Victoria auto dealers and related news

• Please log in to reply
463 replies to this topic

#461 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 33,801 posts

Posted 08 July 2022 - 04:42 AM

I think it's quite common for the dealerships to let folks take the vehicle.  99% of the time it works out and stops the customer from going shopping elsewhere.

#462 phx

phx
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 08 July 2022 - 06:34 AM

Judges sure can be creative when they feel like it.

#463 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 793 posts

Posted 08 July 2022 - 07:01 AM

I do wonder if the judge would’ve found the contract unconscionable had the young woman not been native.

#464 spanky123

spanky123
  • 19,022 posts

Posted 08 July 2022 - 09:17 AM

I think it's quite common for the dealerships to let folks take the vehicle.  99% of the time it works out and stops the customer from going shopping elsewhere.

Yeah hard to see where the dealership was negligent unless it was in moving the license plate to the newer vehicle if title hadn't been transferred. Even then, how could they foresee that the prospective owner would then loan the car to a drunk friend?

I was a 3rd party to a lawsuit a few years back. The plaintiff, although sympathetic, had zero merit to her claim. I remember chatting with the defendants lawyer and suggesting that they should just make a motion to have this kicked and save everyone the time and effort. In response the lawyer stated that not only would the motion not be successful, there was a 50/50 chance that his client would lose the case. In the end they settled after doing the math.

The reality is that there are judges who like to make law from the bench. Perhaps the thought is that the case will get settled anyways and they are just applying some pressure to get something for the plaintiff, or perhaps they have been doing this long enough that they don't care if it gets overturned on appeal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users