Victoria driving, automobile, auto dealership and related news

• Please log in to reply
532 replies to this topic

#501 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,143 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 02:12 PM

One puff of weed, one might give up a car.
  • Mike K. and Matt R. like this

#502 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 02:52 PM

You’re glancing over what makes the CoV so unique: transit, amenities, walkability, bike lanes.

Sooke doesn’t have that. The CoV is unique, with the most of all the things, that we are told makes cars unnecessary.

You gave up your car, for example, for all those things above.

Well it's still insured in Vic though.  Anyway you either are pointing it out because it's a success or not.  It seems like you are saying it's not (which means failure).  But again you are glancing over a community without walkability, transit, amenities and bike lanes went up 9% where the the one that has all those things that went up a paltry 0.5%..  Sooke's increase is 1,800% more than CoV's, is that right?.  Seems right and appropriate (success)...  Why Saanich dropped is another question altogether.  What do you think happened there?

Edited by Ismo07, 30 June 2023 - 03:23 PM.

#503 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,593 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 04:42 PM

Yes, your department may want to figure out why Victoria residents are adding more cars, and Saanich is losing cars.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#504 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 712 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 05:47 PM

My guess is most of those 460 cars are filling the newly built multi level underground parkades. I mean if you own or you're paying monthly for a parking spot you may as well fill it even if you're not using your car all the time.

#505 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,812 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 05:50 PM

So hundreds of people bought cars just to park them in a garage?

• Barrrister likes this

#506 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 712 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 06:16 PM

if you're moving from a place where you need a car to do anything you're already likely going to have a car. So no real need to buy a car just to park it in a garage.

#507 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,593 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 09:08 PM

My guess is most of those 460 cars are filling the newly built multi level underground parkades. I mean if you own or you're paying monthly for a parking spot you may as well fill it even if you're not using your car all the time.

We’re being told parkades are emptying out of cars, though.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#508 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,143 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 04:08 AM

Zoning changes aim to block new car lots in Uptown-Douglas area

Automobile dealers in what Saanich calls the Uptown-­Douglas area say they can live with a compromise passed by the district that will allow existing automobile dealers in the neighbourhood to continue to operate, but will mean no new car lots can be established.

A zoning bylaw amendment will prohibit automobile, boat, truck and trailer sales, rentals, maintenance, repair and storage in what’s known as the Douglas East Highway Commercial Zone — bordered by Douglas and Blanshard streets and Tolmie Avenue and Saanich Road — unless the land is already being used for that purpose.

https://www.timescol...as-area-7313272

#509 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 06:59 AM

Cannot speak for others in Victoria but I have a car principally so that I can go shop, go to restaurants and to the library and do my banking outside of Victoria were I live. Downtown, while attractive to us ten years ago is now a place that we just avoid. Wonder how many others feel the same.

• Nparker and phx like this

#510 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 10:14 AM

Zoning changes aim to block new car lots in Uptown-Douglas are

Zoning changes aim to block Tesla and other up and coming electric vehicle manufacturers from establishing retail/service locations in the area.

Edited by spanky123, 23 July 2023 - 10:14 AM.

#511 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 10:15 AM

Cannot speak for others in Victoria but I have a car principally so that I can go shop, go to restaurants and to the library and do my banking outside of Victoria were I live. Downtown, while attractive to us ten years ago is now a place that we just avoid. Wonder how many others feel the same.

Nothing wrong with downtown as long as you travel during daylight hours with a group of people. 

• Nparker likes this

#512 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,812 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 01:17 PM

And walk swiftly and never make eye contact with anyone. Downtown Victoria is so pleasant these days.

#513 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,143 posts

Posted 17 August 2023 - 05:10 AM

Car dealership workers help to sway Saanich council on zoning for Douglas Street

A steady stream of Volkswagen Victoria workers, many wearing VW-emblazoned shirts, told council how important the dealership was to them.

#514 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,069 posts

Posted 31 August 2023 - 11:37 AM

Cool looking trailer for sale on salt spring, the Trailorboat.

https://saltspringex...ge-trailorboat/

#515 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,143 posts

Posted 15 September 2023 - 06:23 AM

Q:

Why does each brand need its own dealership?

I realize they are franchises, so you can't start up your own new generic car dealership, but Pattison owns most of the dealers here now, why can't the Pattison Super Car Centre have 6 brands?  I suppose the manufacturer does not allow this.

Imagine if you had to go to eight different appliance stores to looks at all the brands.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 September 2023 - 06:23 AM.

#516 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,351 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 September 2023 - 08:38 AM

^ yep. good point. They'll accept all brands (generally) in the service departments, and all brands (generally) in the used sales department. Just not the lot branding and new sales.

If the model is failing, change the model.

Edited by lanforod, 15 September 2023 - 08:39 AM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#517 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,593 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 10:18 AM

Appliance manufacturers generally own several brands, so it’s still the same company.

You might have two, maybe three different manufacturers at a single independent showroom but tons of brands.

Fake choice.

Know it all.

#518 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,143 posts

Posted 24 September 2023 - 05:57 AM

He wanted to keep his Lexus from being stolen. Now he faces a $20K bill and voided warranty

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-bill-1.6976240

Crazy. I’m unsure why we can’t get ahead of the curve here in auto thefts.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 September 2023 - 05:57 AM.

#519 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,143 posts

Posted 13 October 2023 - 08:43 AM

He wanted to keep his Lexus from being stolen. Now he faces a $20K bill and voided warranty

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-bill-1.6976240

Crazy. I’m unsure why we can’t get ahead of the curve here in auto thefts.

Same guy:   :1954_dancing:

Months after a North York man's dealership told him to remove the after-market anti-theft device from his new Lexus, the $75,000 vehicle was stolen from a TTC parking lot on Oct. 3.

The theft marks the second time in nine months that Mitchell Levine and his wife Stacie Korn have had a new Lexus, in particular, stolen from the Wilson subway station parking lot. 

It's also the third time in the last year that they have had a car stolen. 

"It's very frustrating," Levine told CBC Toronto. "When we tried to put security in the cars, they forced us to take it out."

https://www.cbc.ca/n...evice-1.6994007

When Levine and Korn bought their new Lexus in mid-July, they had an after-market anti-theft device installed because they didn't want to lose another vehicle. But when they took it to the Ken Shaw Toyota dealership to get a mechanical problem diagnosed, they were hit with a $20,000 bill to fix wiring they were told had been damaged by the device — voiding their warranty at the same time.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 October 2023 - 08:44 AM.

#520 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,593 posts

Posted 22 November 2023 - 08:54 PM

Oh man, the prices of Ford trucks are going through the roof*.

2023 F150 extended cab, 8' bed in the XL trim has a starting price of $52,445. The 2024 model no longer offers the 8' bed with the extended cab (at least not configurable yet), and is priced at $56,495 with a 6 1/2' bed. The 2023 configuration with the 6 1/2' bed is priced at $50,145. 11.24% uplift.

The cheapest 2023 F150, regular cab 6 1/2' bed, is $43,950. Its $50,300 in 2024, 12.62% uplift.

A few years ago, an F250 was starting priced at just over $40k. Now you can't even buy a bone stuck entry level F150 for $50k.

*I'm sure it's the same story over at GM and Ram.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users