Why Victoria?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:17 PM

From the "Is there a housing bubble right now in Victoria?" thread:

Having lived in a dozen cities over my career I can state without any hestitation that they all had their good and bad. To suggest that one is better or more popular than another is entirely dependant on personal preference.

I agree entirely, it is an issue of person preference. I personally find Victoria acceptable but not great, but to voice that in this city is not a popular thing to do.

This is a topic that deserves its own discussion. In this ever-globalized age, it is possible for more people than ever to choose where they live. So why here?

I remember hearing many years ago that when surveys were done on this topic, anywhere in the western world, the #1 answer was "Love". "This is where my husband's family lived." "This is where my children's friends are." Personally, I know this is why I remain in Victoria.

But also when I compare Victoria to other cities, it comes out favourably. My own personal calculation of upsides and downsides:

Victoria - natural beauty, good library system, good university vs. expensive housing, Soviet-era bureaucracy
Vancouver - natural beauty, movie theatres, live music vs. expensive housing, property crime, rain, attitude, madness
Edmonton - abundant employment, good library system, good university vs. car dependency, cold, no mountains or ocean
Calgary - abundant employment, natural beauty vs. expensive housing, car dependency, yahoo politics
Toronto - diversity, cultural scene, good university, proximity to New York vs. toxic air in summer, attitude, no mountains or ocean

Compared to other Canadian cities, we're not bad off. (I would move to San Francisco or Berlin in a heartbeat, but it isn't easy getting a job or health care in those places.) If Victoria is "acceptable but not great," what place is? And if that great place exists, why stay here? I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts about this.

The earth is Paradise, the only we will ever know. We will realize it the moment we open our eyes. We don't have to make it a Paradise – it is one. We have only to make ourselves fit to inhabit it.

– Henry Miller, The Air-Conditioned Nightmare

#2 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:48 PM

I live here because this is where my children are and since it is shared custody I can not move.

I am also married to someone that wants to live in Victoria.

If I could, I would be living in the Lillooet region again - heaven on earth.

I would also love to live in the north, the far north.

And if I am not limiting my choices to Canada, Alsace is high up there as is Tallinn.

#3 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:16 PM

Let's face it, a big chunk of daily life is basically the same wherever you are. On that level, the choice between one place and another can be very arbitrary.

I think I need to be near the ocean. I don't know what that's all about, because I'm not really into boating or sailing. I just know I feel out of sorts when I'm in a place that's not near the ocean. Inland cities, even large ones, tend to feel isolated to me. Maybe "isolated" is the wrong word. They just feel like they're missing something at their core. I can't put my finger on it.

#4 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:19 PM

I will note that for a city with so much shoreline on the ocean, it is actually amazing how disconnected the city is from the water and how few people actually go boating.

My goal is to own an decent sailboat when I can afford it, and a canoe and some kayaks. If I have all this water, I should be out on it.

#5 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:44 PM

Let's face it, Victoria has done a poor job overall in terms of taking advantage of its waterfront setting. In the last 25 years, Vancouver has blown Victoria away in this regard. Nevertheless, the city is so well endowed that even a poor job translates into several good waterfront areas. (Victoria has also done a poor job overall in preserving its architectural heritage, but the inventory was so great that most people don't even realize it.)

By the way, "connected" is a better word. When I go down to the causeway on a crowded summer evening, I feel connected. I feel like I'm at the epicentre of something. There's something about the way a city meets the ocean that inspires this. It's a sensation that's completely absent when I'm inland (although I suppose an urban waterfront on a very large lake could also suffice).

#6 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:58 PM

I will note that for a city with so much shoreline on the ocean, it is actually amazing how disconnected the city is from the water and how few people actually go boating.

& noboy wants anyone else to go boating either. consider that awful "bourgois" marina in vic west :P

#7 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:19 PM

I sacrificed a lot to be here. It was something I had dreamed about my entire adult life leading up to the move.
I gave up everything to be here.

I regret none of it. This place is my home and my paradise.
Sure it has its drawbacks and it definitely can be a challenge to live here, but as others have said, nowhere is perfect. But in Canada, this place is a close to perfection as you can get.

But why here? The climate, the ocean, the wildlife the mountains, the islands and the serenity of our surroundings. But also, for its size Victoria is pretty sophisticated. Great dining, arts scene, culture.
And for me, the summers are heaven. It seems that every weekend there's an outdoor event going on somewhere nearby that seems to keep me stimulated.

I like rain, and hate below freezing temperatures. And I will never miss the humidity of an Ontario summer's day. And as a hiker, it's a blessing to hardly ever have to deal with swarms of maddening mosquitoes.
I like how politically involved people are here. People here are passionate. This is a small world of extremes when it comes to people's ideologies; and if anything it makes things more interesting. And it challenges you to question your own sense of beliefs. It's a confusing little world we live in here on the island, but it certainly forces one to think about ones personal philosophies. And that's good.

I'm here for life.

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:10 PM

I have had my fair say in the other thread but since it has been asked again, I am happy to oblige.

I came upon Victoria by way of Toronto and Vancouver and once here I thought I was just going to be biding time till I moved back to Vancouver but then I just became happier here and when I would head over to Van I would find myself finding reasons to come back early. To be honest I can't be 100% sure why I love it here so much but it is definitely home for life.

#9 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:12 PM

I think I need to be near the ocean. I don't know what that's all about, because I'm not really into boating or sailing. I just know I feel out of sorts when I'm in a place that's not near the ocean. Inland cities, even large ones, tend to feel isolated to me. Maybe "isolated" is the wrong word. They just feel like they're missing something at their core. I can't put my finger on it.

Yes, totally! My inlaws from Calgary always ask me if I feel claustrophibic living on the island. For me, I feel claustrophobic anywhere that is land-locked.

I have lived in lots of other cities in Canada, but I do love Victoria, for many, many reasons. But perhaps the most compelling is family, friends, support network. Plus, I live a block from the beach :)

#10 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:03 PM

My family has lived here for many generations and though there a few of us left in the city I can't imagine living anywhere else permanently.

Despite visiting dozens of cities around the world I have yet to find one with the amenities we have. It's not perfect but it suits me. True wilderness Europeans can't fathom is just a short drive away and proximity to Seattle and Vancouver means you're never out of the big city cultural loop.

I second the feeling of security being so near the ocean.

#11 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:59 PM

Yeah the ocean, and also the forest so close by. I love the weather - I'm not in to regular snow, and since I don't drive, the walkability is crucial. I also love the downtown and the different core villages - so much going on, but still with that smaller town atmosphere.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#12 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:09 PM

Nothing changes. Here's that Davison cartoon (from 1965!):

#13 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:58 PM

^ Ha, that "moaner & groaner" comic is gold!

Lots to learn from it: "All the money is in the banks" is very interesting: what they're saying is that money doesn't circulate enough here.

That's still true to some extent, and then when some people do try to make it circulate, they get labeled (as something dirty, or American, or Albertan, or ...fill in the blanks). Too bad, really. Money should circulate.

I'm reminded that almost none of the kids I went to school with here had any idea how their parents or families made money, had made money in the past, or were planning to continue making money. You worked, or didn't work, but you didn't make money - or had no schooling in how it was done. This also meant you didn't have a clue how boom-and-bust economies worked - so people kept making the same mistakes.

Well, I'm off topic ...again! Sorry!

As to why live here? The reasons are complex, but it's pretty nice here. It is important to remind oneself of that every once in a while, too, 'cause it's easy to get sour when the economic underpinnings go soft.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#14 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:20 PM

I was actually born and raised here. It's a pretty nice city but even as a kid I was always confused why we didn't have the cool stuff those cities on TV had. I've becoming increasingly depressed and hopeless about the city, so much potential, so much red tape and nimbyism...
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#15 househuntvictoria

househuntvictoria
  • 339 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:32 PM

I was born in Alberta but raised in Victoria. Victoria is home. As a teenager I wanted out. I left and lived in Halifax, Calgary, Banff, and Edmonton over a 6 year period.

Family is in Victoria. That is why I came home.

The people of Halifax are the friendliest I have ever known. The town is just like Victoria except with more character that comes from being 300 years older. There were university graduates making $8 an hour who would buy you a beer simply because you were from out of town and they wanted you to feel welcome. But once their hospitality was extended, they were quick to point out you were a "from away" and no matter how hard you tried, you'd never be a "from here." There was a pride of place I've never seen a match.

Calgary has doubled in size since I lived there. Long time Calgarians are warm and friendly, and proud of their cowtown heritage. The western views are incredible. The proximity to the rockies and the adventures to be had there for little money are great. It is a car dependent city that has become wrapped up in a keeping up with the joneses culture. If I didn't live in Victoria, I'd move to Calgary again willingly.

Edmonton had more culture than any city I've lived in. The support for the arts and the festivals is amazing. Every night throughout the summer something public is going on. Their symphony is fantastic, they get the shows that we don't, and the corporate world there ponies up for a lot of arts money. If you like hockey and football, you are in a city of champions, regardless of current team performance. The lack of mountains and ocean were too much for me though. I have to have at least one of the two.

Banff was great. I'd love to live in a small mountain town an hour and half drive from an international airport and do what I do today.

Victoria is home. I love my life here. I'm active year-round, my family is close. The natural beauty is great. This winter has been the best I can remember for sometime: I like snow don't like grey rain. I am disgruntled with the empty pride many Victorians express and the real lack of entrepreneurial spirit I see. Business people I speak to from other cities are quick to comment on the slow pace of work done here and the general lack of urgency for getting anything done. I've heard statements like "they don't get the work often so they make sure to stretch it out" several times. The special interests have taken this town over and the silent majority has completely disengaged... local politics here really remind me of student politics at Uvic.

If the right opportunity presented itself within a 2 hour flight to Victoria, I'd seriously consider leaving, but likely wouldn't. I'd rather work to make this a better place me thinks.

#16 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:42 PM

Nicely said.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#17 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:49 AM

My family has lived in Victoria for six generations so my roots go deep. Of all my relatives, young and old, not one has left Victoria permanently. I've seen many changes, good and bad, but I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. Victoria is in my blood and I'll happily live here 'til I die.

#18 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:11 AM

Someone in T.O. once told me he had "island fever" when he lived here, freaking out and always wanting to get off the island.
In 15 years here I've never felt I was living on an island.
28 years in Montreal, 9 years in Halifax, 7 years in T.O.
This is best.

#19 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:37 AM

My family has lived in Victoria for six generations so my roots go deep. Of all my relatives, young and old, not one has left Victoria permanently. I've seen many changes, good and bad, but I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. Victoria is in my blood and I'll happily live here 'til I die.

Having lived in Europe for many years - and travelled widely - it was enlightening to find the other members of the family, who had no previous experience of Victoria, or the Island, to almost instantly love it here.

#20 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:44 PM

I agree with all the of the benefits stated with living here, but there are also some drawbacks obviously.

I don't think that anybody doubts the desire for the retired crowd to find a home within Canada close to free medical care or the desire for those who already live here and have cheap accomodations to stay, but those demographics are only part of the picture.

The bottom line is that it is tough for a young couple with kids to create a future for themselves here (unless you have inherited the family home). Even if both parents have a decent (by Victoria standards) job, the gross pay is likely to be around $120K max. Add in child care, a hefty mortgage, and higher prices for about every other good and service and the best they are going to do is tread water. No money to save for the kid's education or to take more than the occassional family vacation. The same job(s) elsewhere would likely earn $10K-$20K more a year and living costs would be a lot less. I have seen countless families move to Vancouver Island only to move away again in a year or two.

No matter how great our environment is, people have to take care of themselves and their families.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users