Photo

Saanich South - May 12th 2009 Provincial Election

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:49 AM

I know Lana and Robin personally and like both but, I didn't cast a vote this time (except to finally get rid of that pesky STV) as I resented the whole process. You have one candidate (Robin), who doesn't even live in Saanich being dropped into the riding to try and take advantage of his "star power" while the other, Lana, finished 14th out of 17th in Municipal voting, has zero political experience, and wasn't even an NDP supporter, yet is chosen solely because she is a women at the potential expense of more qualified candidates.

I wish the best to Lana but I wonder how long it will take for reality to finally take hold.

#22 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:49 AM

Heh, I can't say I agree with all of Lana's politics but at least she is a VV'er. That makes me part of her constituency - the online tribe that hasn't got a riding of it's own yet.

Totally - I would be all for a special Leg. seat for VV. :D

#23 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:39 AM

I'm glad that Adair lost because i hate parachute candidates. They have no place in the BC electoral system.

#24 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:16 AM

I'm glad that Adair lost because i hate parachute candidates. They have no place in the BC electoral system.

Then explain Rob Fleming? He is a parachute in Victoria Swan Lake.

Robin Adair lost because Lana Popham campaigned better. Her team worked harder and had a positive attitude.

Robin Adair got the most votes of any Liberal that did not win his seat. He got more votes than 35 of the 49 Liberals that were elected.

#25 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:26 AM

Yeah, the whole "he doesn't live here" arguement is one of the sillest things I've heard. What percentage of MLAs actually live in their riding anyways?

Out of curiosity, where does Fleming live?

#26 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:32 AM

Last I knew, Fleming lived in Fernwood. Perhaps the change of electoral boundaries put him out of the riding.

#27 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:39 AM

Last I knew, Fleming lived in Fernwood. Perhaps the change of electoral boundaries put him out of the riding.

His home has always been in Victoria Beacon Hill. The boundary was along Bay, now it is Hillside. Previously he was only a few streets short, now he is much further

In an urban setting, the idea that the candidate should physically live in the riding is not a major issue as there are numerous cases when they do not.

Our region is one urban setting divided into seven ridings, in most ways our MLAs defacto speak for the whole region as the boundaries are rather arbitrary most of the time.

#28 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:48 AM

Isn't the boundary along Bay Street in the current riding distribution?

#29 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:08 PM

Isn't the boundary along Bay Street in the current riding distribution?

You are right, but it was also Bay before expect for the chunk between Bay, Pandora, Cook and the water. Bay is now the southern boundary for the whole way.

Blame my error on a lack of sleep for several nights

#30 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,781 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:04 PM

Our region is one urban setting divided into seven ridings, in most ways our MLAs defacto speak for the whole region as the boundaries are rather arbitrary most of the time.

All the more reason that we needed STV in the capital region.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users