Old restaurants, pubs, nightclubs in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#81 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:32 AM

852 Mason Street is the Nelson Music Building side door.

#82 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:33 AM

Re: Ziggy's...where was 852 Mason St.? Somewhere in North Park presumably.

That address would put it in the vicinity of the new(ish) SOHO condos, next door to the slower-than-time-itself Palladian redevelopment of the Nelson's Music/Baptist Church building. I have lived in the neighbourhood for 10 years and have no recollection of Ziggy's, or any other night club in this area. The name does ring a distant bell from the past though.

I see now that G-Man as already clarified this for us. Cheers!

#83 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:36 AM

Ah, interesting. Ziggy's isn't mentioned in the Palladian history, heh.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#84 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:15 AM

Harpo's was my home away from home from 1986 to 1989 - wayyyy to many nights in there, though there were a lot of really interesting bands that came through there. I still can not remember who I saw there and who I did not.

There were two other places I went to in the 80s, though neither was an official club. Mystic Lane and the Rat's Nest

#85 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:21 AM

uh, you were at the Rat's Nest? OK I am pretty sure I do know you then. I just don't have a face yet.

#86 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:25 AM

I know I was there, but memories are not so easy to access as I know I was never there in anything approaching a normal state.

#87 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:30 AM

Hehe no doubt!
Nice to see some Old Skool folks still around.

#88 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:02 PM

Let's see.

Yes, the Boom Boom Room down below Wharf used to be Merlins in the 80s. Before that in the 70s it was the Surfside Cabaret.

The Surfside was controlled by a local motorcycle gang in the late '70s. Around that time the Hell's Angels moved in and tried to take over the club's membership. The local gang resisted and the Surfside mysteriously caught fire shortly thereafter.

Before it was the Surfside it was known as the Sunset.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#89 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:48 PM

The Surfside was controlled by a local motorcycle gang in the late '70s. Around that time the Hell's Angels moved in and tried to take over the club's membership. The local gang resisted and the Surfside mysteriously caught fire shortly thereafter.

Before it was the Surfside it was known as the Sunset.

Hmmm, wasn't Matt McNeill supposed to turn Merlin's into a East Coast Pub style restaurant? No action down there?

#90 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:12 PM

Harpo's was my home away from home from 1986 to 1989 - wayyyy to many nights in there, though there were a lot of really interesting bands that came through there. I still can not remember who I saw there and who I did not.

Harpo's was built by the Martay Brothers. Mike was one of the brothers. These fellows were financed by their Dad as they were draft dodgers.

The tables were built with the bowling ally wood from Gibson's if I remember correctly.

Once the Martay's were finished with the club, it was run for a short while by a fellow named Terry Paterson. He died sadly, in his speeding Porshe with 4 people in a 2 seat car. I think one person lived.

Does anyone remember Central Station where Hush is now?

#91 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:31 PM

Anyone remember the Old Forge?:rolleyes:
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#92 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:47 PM

Is that from before the regular Forge?

#93 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:56 AM

Is that from before the regular Forge?

I think it was the Old Forge, before the remake that had all the memorabilia (I forget the name). People just called it the "Forge", but Old was part of its name.

#94 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:01 AM

Really? I never knew :) Can't say i miss the Forge. I mean I saw some cool shows there but really I just remember feeling sick the next day and stinking of cigarettes. That place was a smoke oven.

#95 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:10 AM

DJ "Daddy" Mack goes back a long way:

http://www.jagworksd...l/DJ resume.htm

Check out the resume listing for Paparazzi:

(was suspened for not being gay,they wanted a gay DJ)

#96 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:18 AM

I went to The Old Forge after is opened in the late '60s. The band, The Brothers Forbes, had played at the Oak Bay Marina. They also played at the Empress' Paint Cellar.
Happy times.

#97 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:07 AM

Skylark also played at the Forge with our native son David Foster.

#98 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:29 AM

Skylark also played at the Forge with our native son David Foster.

Well, lets go back to 1972 then, shall we:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=LyKXW3ioY1Q

Yes, that's DF with his first wife, BJ Cook. :)

...the lyrics took 15 minutes to write, the guitar track was recorded on the first try, and David Foster did not even play on the song, and it hit 1M copies:

http://www.olografix...es/dfnet2/?p=93

#99 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:26 PM

... was a coffee house in the basement of an old hotel on Goverment Street across from present day Mountain Equipment Co-op. In the early 1960's folk music was the rage. You could still smoke in the clubs, to the point where your eyes were watering by the end of the night.

Valdy had a crew cut and wore a suit. Others were Don "the Eagle" Crawford, Tom Northcott, Pat Paulsen and Jose Feliciano to name some of the more memorable acts.

The gents wore a jacket and tie, and the ladies a fine dress. It was a brief but classy era.

#100 masiyou

masiyou
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:40 PM

I'm not the nightclub type but I'm curious about the Carlton Club in Esquimalt. Does anyone know the history of that place? It seems like it's been there for quite a while.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users